What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I’ve probably seen five or six brimstones so far, with maybe a few more peacocks, a couple of commas and small tortoiseshells being the most abundant. 

Last year, I think in April, the first butterfly of the year for me was a small copper, which was apparently very early. 
I love hawkmoths. I haven’t seen a privet yet, just poplar and elephant. 

Get or build yourself a trap ;)

Over the last couple of years I’ve had loads of Elephants and Poplars,  a few Limes and Pines,  and three Privets. We also get occasional Hummjngbirds :)

25 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Get or build yourself a trap ;)

Over the last couple of years I’ve had loads of Elephants and Poplars,  a few Limes and Pines,  and three Privets. We also get occasional Hummjngbirds :)

Sadly, my garden isn’t ideal for trapping, being small and very much hemmed in. I did try making a small trap, but have had more success luring moths in by putting a home-made LED array in my shed window. Still not great, though.

The good news is that we should be moving soon (just had an offer on our house) and although we still have no idea where we’ll end up, it should be much better in that regard.

2 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Sadly, my garden isn’t ideal for trapping, being small and very much hemmed in. I did try making a small trap, but have had more success luring moths in by putting a home-made LED array in my shed window. Still not great, though.

The good news is that we should be moving soon (just had an offer on our house) and although we still have no idea where we’ll end up, it should be much better in that regard.

Excellent, mate. A cost effective light set up would actinic tubes or bulbs. They are relatively cheap to buy and to run. You can put one in front of a white sheet hung vertically. It does mean you are out late at night spotting them as they turn up, though, rather than opening a trap in the morning. I have actinic and MV, in a bought trap and a large one I built myself. 

The Privet hawk larvae came off a lilac tree in my brother’s garden. I hope they emerge okay :)

M

Bit too south to be over my house, but just gone feet dry over North Devon is Grim99 a  Boeing E-4B. Don't know if that's interesting or worrying....!!

Keith

Edit - as a mate just pointed out, as the callsign isn't Air Force 1 it's just interesting!! 

Judging by Flightradar 24, there seems to be a near constant presence of Rivet Joint (both USAF and RAF), E8C, EP3E and various other intelligence assets over Poland. Picked up a NATO E3A and an Italian version of the Sentinel today and the Swedes seem to keeping an eye over the North end of the Baltic Sea. 

There also seems to be a constant rota of tankers over Poland and Romania. RAF and NATO Voyagers, KC10s and 135s and even an Italian 767. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Judging by Flightradar 24, there seems to be a near constant presence of Rivet Joint (both USAF and RAF), E8C, EP3E and various other intelligence assets over Poland. Picked up a NATO E3A and an Italian version of the Sentinel today and the Swedes seem to keeping an eye over the North end of the Baltic Sea. 

There also seems to be a constant rota of tankers over Poland and Romania. RAF and NATO Voyagers, KC10s and 135s and even an Italian 767. 

Ive seen Global hawks over the Black sea and Romania and a pair of US Army Beech RC12 Guardrails operating in Lithuania and Latvia. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr T said:

There’s also been a Transall Gabriel, a Romanian An-30, USAF Combat Sent (RC-135U), WC-135W

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Edit - as a mate just pointed out, as the callsign isn't Air Force 1 it's just interesting!! 

Air Force One with sleepy Joe followed the E-4B until the South of England. It went to BRU while the E-4B went to Mildenhall. AF1 was preceded by a C-32 and C-17 and another C-32 brought up the rear

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

There’s also been a Transall Gabriel, a Romanian An-30, USAF Combat Sent (RC-135U), WC-135W

And an Aussie C-17 now, obvs not a secret squirrel but a long way from home..

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And an Aussie C-17 now, obvs not a secret squirrel but a long way from home..

I see the WC-135 has been up and down the U.K. today. She is now heading back to Mildenhall  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I see the WC-135 has been up and down the U.K. today. She is now heading back to Mildenhall  

Another good day to be at Mildenhall with the WC-135 now doing circuits.she is the last turbojet C-135 in the inventory. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Air Force One with sleepy Joe followed the E-4B until the South of England. It went to BRU while the E-4B went to Mildenhall. AF1 was preceded by a C-32 and C-17 and another C-32 brought up the rear

"sleepy Joe?" 🙄

20 minutes ago, John Meyer said:

"sleepy Joe?" 🙄

Joe Biden. I sympathise with him given his age and programme but he is often seen with his eyes closed ;) 

Went to Ripon City Wetlands, a smallish Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserve next to Ripon racecourse. While there I saw the Red Arrows go a low pass over Ripon en route to Leeming, a Typhoon at low level and not long before  we left, a V22 Ospery trundled over. 

• Like 2

Earlier this afternoon, a U2 heading into Fairford.  Camera missed that.

Then a Chinook.

Chinook-1.jpg

Then this pair - can anybody identify?  Quite high and fast.  The camera caught more detail than I could actually see at the time.

100-9612.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Joe Biden. I sympathise with him given his age and programme but he is often seen with his eyes closed ;) 

Oh, I knew who you are referring to. It's insulting and uncalled for in this forum.