What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

ZM716 back at Odiham for a second day, after flying back to Middle Wallop yesterday. Happy to see my first Guardian, even if it's a bit too clean!

Anyone know why it's been flying to Odiham? According to FR24 it's bombing it around the hills, lapping the airfield. 

Just about to leave chez Bonhoff to go for an eye test in Loughborough and the distinctive sound of a Rolls Royce Merlin caught my attention. 

Didn't see it but FR24 said it was a P-51 that IIRC lives at EMA.

Back home trying to fend off the flop eared loons who were keen on sharing my bacon sandwich and I heard another Merlin, my first thought was that it was the Mustang returning to EMA.

I then realised that I could hear more than one Merlin and looking on FR24 confirmed that it was PA474 flying over the village.

Sum total of 5 Merlin engines for the day then.

IanJ 

• Like 4

Earlier this evening, and having watched her trudge across Europe on ADSB, I had Indian C-130J KC-3802 overhead the village, under the clouds at FL190. She was the second Indian Herc to Cambridge for maintenance.

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=225438

KC-135R Stratotanker 58-0100.  According to FR24 it took off from Cambridge. I have my doubts about that as it seemed to fly a normal refuelling mission over the North Sea.  It now seems to have put down at Mildenhall.

Currently being very annoying is Beech Shadow R.1 ZZ419, callsign SNAKE49.    There are three regular callsigns, SNAKE48, SNAKE49 and SRPNT48.  They fly regular missions from Waddington.  The mission profile is to find a location somewhere in East Anglia and to fly perfect circles around it for a couple of hours at 15000ft.  The noise from the engines is just a low drone slightly above the limits of hearing which goes on and on and on...  very annoying indeed.   It's almost exactly the noise my electric fan oven makes so I keep thinking I've left the oven on...

To people who complain about jet noise, I usually tell them that jet noise is the sound of freedom, but I find that SNAKE and SRPNT are just annoying.

I assume they are practising some sort of battlefield surveillance mission but they don't seem to be very stealthy about it.  The constant drone warns that they are there and the predictable flightpath would seem to make them very vulnerable to a mobile SAM battery.

There have also been lots of fast jets today and for the last few days. F-15s, Typhoons and even a couple of F-35s.  There seem to have been more than usual and even on Sunday.  What is definitely unusual is that almost none of them have shown up on FR24.  I wonder if this is something to be concerned about.  Have the USAF and RAF gone TTW? 

• Like 2

A400 Atlas ZM417 callsign ASCOT487.  Took off from Edinburgh at 1527.  Took the scenic route south over Scotland and the Lake District then turned east and flew over the North Sea just north of Skegness.   It then flew racetracks just north of Norwich and in now headed 253 towards Northampton.  

A few minutes ago ASCOT487 and SNAKE49 appeared to be pretty close but there was about 5000ft vertical seperation.

SNAKE49 has now left its circular track and headed north then suddenly turned south, coming down to about 3000ft.   I wonder if it intends to put in at Marham.

Edit:   Yep.   It just did a touch and go at Marham.   It now seems to be heading off on a similar track to ASCOT487.

Edit:  No such luck.  SNAKE49 is now back on station, impersonating my electric oven...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

A400 Atlas ZM417 callsign ASCOT487.  Took off from Edinburgh at 1527.  Took the scenic route south over Scotland and the Lake District then turned east and flew over the North Sea just north of Skegness.   It then flew racetracks just north of Norwich and in now headed 253 towards Northampton.  

A few minutes ago ASCOT487 and SNAKE49 appeared to be pretty close but there was about 5000ft vertical seperation.

SNAKE49 has now left its circular track and headed north then suddenly turned south, coming down to about 3000ft.   I wonder if it intends to put in at Marham.

Edit:   Yep.   It just did a touch and go at Marham.   It now seems to be heading off on a similar track to ASCOT487.

Edit:  No such luck.  SNAKE49 is now back on station, impersonating my electric oven...

A bunch of Mountain Home-based F-15Es arrived at Mildenhall today

• Like 1

A quite bizarre occurrence today.   I checked FR24 to see if anything interesting was happening and noticed something odd.  There was an icon for a military jet fighter and one for a medium sized airliner flying in close formation.  Their track looked to take them right over my house and they were moving fast.  When I clicked on each icon, the jet turned out to be an F-15E.  Nothing surprising there.  FR24 reported the airliner as a P-3C AIP. 

I haven't seen a P-3 in some years.  As they were definitely on track to fly directly over my house, I stepped outside to have a look.  I was just a bit puzzled about how fast that P-3 was moving.  500kts is fast!

Well, they flew over my house and revealed themselves to be a pair of F-15s.  No P-3.

Can FR24 get confused like this?   Or was one of the F-15s carrying a new super secret ECM pod that makes it look like a P-3?  :fool: 

• Haha 1

Whilst hanging the washing out this morning I was treated to a fly by of two very low and quite fast AS365 Dauphin's right over the house in a nice blue and white scheme, nothing too exciting there you might think but after some checking it turns out they are flown by 658 sqn AAC and used for transporting the SAS around. They were not shown on ADSB. Then in the afternoon either the same pair or another pair of them came back over, same direction, and this time I managed to get a pic of one.

spacer.png

• Like 4

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Whilst hanging the washing out this morning

Oi, that was my line. ;) :D Anyway, whilst doing likewise, I was disturbed by the clattering of a Hughs 269 flying over. Seeing it was coming from the Airport, where there are servicing outfits, & the direction it was heading in lead mainly to some pretty rugged country, I figured it might have been a station owned machine heading home after a service. Smart chaps for having one of them rather than a Robbie 22.

Steve.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

On Monday we had Chilean KC-130R "992" heading N to Waddington, flying to the West of Horsham. She came back South today following the same route home. She had been collecting E-3 equipment.

• Like 2

Had a bit of excitement this afternoon around 4/30pm. Two Apaches overflew my house very low, very sloooowww west to east. No doubt from Midddle Wallop and back. Rushed out of my shed, as I heard them coming, to take pictures but the wind and cold and me fumbling with the camera missed getting any decent pics. But a bout 10 minutes later they came back. Manged to run off a couple pics but not brilliant ones.   I asked myself why were they coming over so slow...?? was it the weather?  Not complaining but interesting nevertheless.

These are the pics when they came back:

VCuEwD.jpg

uA1wIN.jpg

SoaNHS.jpg

Carrying their payload too by the looks of it.

• Like 1

On 03/10/2022 at 23:08, RidgeRunner said:

Earlier this evening, and having watched her trudge across Europe on ADSB, I had Indian C-130J KC-3802 overhead the village, under the clouds at FL190. She was the second Indian Herc to Cambridge for maintenance.

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=225438

I,ve been seeing and picking up on FR24 Hercs of the Saudi Air Force( from Warton), Kuwait(from Cambridge) , Italian and US over  the past few weeks.

Just seen a C17 fly over near Banbury which had a Hercules just behind it

Funny thing is the C17 shows up on flight radar and the Hercules doesn't

Just backtracked on radar and it is ZZ177 with ZH872 underneath it

Edited by cherry268
Added info