What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

They could have gone a little bit higher along the coast so I could wave to them! 🙂

Still, a nice little trip south for them.

Or a lot further to the north for me to wave at them....still just had a strikemaster go over so thats something

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Just now. A pair of B-52s doing a tight turn and leaving a pall of smoke over Bampton, Oxfordshire unusually low at about 1000ft. Heading in the direction of Fairford. Very impressive!

Good thing about living close to Brize is you soon learn what noises to tune out (boring C-17s and A400Ms) and what's worth looking up for!

Will

Just got home from an afternoon out to be treated to a fly past by the Reds!!! They were in two groups of  5 and a pair at the end.

Right over my house and LOW!!!! They were on a west heading and following their display at Eastbourne  this afternoon

Needless to say, the hackles down my neck and back were well and truly......hackled!

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just heard the sound of a fast jet, out to the garden pronto! Could hear it out to sea (we're just along from Bognor, about 1/2 mile from the sea but with houses in between. Then heard more jet noise but couldn't see anything. A look on ADS-B Exchabge showed an F-15E Dark21 with two smaller non identified aircraft, callsigns Dark23 and 24. All headed east a mile or so off the coast at 900ft. Check shortly after and the F-15  disappeared from ADS-B exchange, Dark23 and 24 continued round the coast and currently showing heading west towards Maidstne. F-15 showing agsin!

Typical though, a fast jet down here and it's too low to see!

Jim

I was in Goring and they were low and fast although with the haze I couldn’t see anything

More here https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=223524&start=20

Came home to see (well, hear at first) the Reds doing the same display they weren't allowed to do at Farnborough airshow over Fleet. Quite the sight even with only 7

Just realised it's Odiham families day. Looking forward to an afternoon of jet noise!

Edited by cerperal

Busy afternoon for me at home today. Had a very low Lancaster over  my home from the Eastboourne show and routing to Odiham where it did a few circuits and then back from where it came over my place  again and routed for home.

ciV785.jpg

This pic was when it passed over the second time a bit further North of my house and heading East.

Then the Blades overflew my home just to the south.  At around 5, a Juno ZM531 overflow my home to Odiham I guess. And finally Mustang G-SHWN west to east and making for Eastbourne  at just after 6 15.

Didn't  need to go to the show when the show came to me  sort of.

Edited by Paul J
picture added

18 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

we saw six hummingbird hawk moths. That was pretty cool!

Nice! We’ve only had a couple and I see Convulvulus HM are now being seen on the south coast :) 🤞

3rd post down https://www.sussexmothgroup.org.uk/site/latestSightings.php

Martin

• Like 1

Although I have seen hummingbird hawk moths before, I had only ever seen one at a time. My wife was just telling me that this year is reportedly a very good year for them when I noticed that there was more than one flying around. 

Until this year, I had never seen one settle before. Once you know what to look for, you can spot them sunning themselves on the side of buildings. They look just like arrowheads.

I’d love to see a convulvulus HM. A vey impressive looking beastie!

• Like 1

Just had a look through the Sussex Moth Group sightings you linked to. Someone had an atlas moth in their garden! I saw a newly hatched one at a butterfly house. Probably the largest moth anywhere on the planet. My God, those are huge! At the time, I’d never had gone closer than a metre, whereas now I’d definitely handle one, given the chance. My wife is not good with moths unless it’s daytime and they’re outdoors. Weirdly, she really likes hummingbird hawk moths, cinnabars, burnets and tiger moths. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I’ve had a few Jersey Tigers recently :)

I've never seen one, though my wife saw one a few years ago, resting on the wall of a local Aldi! She did get a photo.

This evening I had a Spitfire doing a mini airshow overhead which then disappeared for a couple of minutes and then came back with a Hurricane for a lap of the village.

On 8/21/2022 at 1:32 AM, lasermonkey said:

This evening I had a Spitfire doing a mini airshow overhead which then disappeared for a couple of minutes and then came back with a Hurricane for a lap of the village.

@lasermonkey 

If you are still in Beds you might see this now https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae5870

13 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

If you are still in Beds you might see this now https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae5870

It’s just north of Huntingdon at the moment, angels 11. Too far north for me, unfortunately, but I bet those that get to see it will get a great view! I do really appreciate the heads up though. 

I did have an F4U over earlier though, which was unexpected and very welcome. 

Edited by lasermonkey

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

What's low flying over my Draywagon? An F-35 on approach to Waddington earlier this afternoon. Noisy little chap!

Aren’t they just? I was at the end of the runway at Lakenheath when two took off. I wasn’t ready for the noise!

• Haha 1

Spent the day at New Brighton on the Wirral with the family and a display marked Tornado was flying down the Mersey a most impressive sight and sound, then later on to my surprise the BOB Memorial Flight Lancaster made an appearance, presumable both from the air display at Rhyl in North Wales.

Cheers

Dennis

11 hours ago, spitfire said:

Spent the day at New Brighton on the Wirral with the family and a display marked Tornado was flying down the Mersey a most impressive sight and sound, then later on to my surprise the BOB Memorial Flight Lancaster made an appearance, presumable both from the air display at Rhyl in North Wales.

Cheers

Dennis

Tornado, Dennis? I guess it was a Mis-type ;)

• Like 1