What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

Not quite over the house but……. On holidays in Crete and had F-16’s over the hotel high so only seeing plan view. Just regular all morning. Then this afternoon there were another five in a loose formation over Rethymno and given the height and peering between two high rises in the way I think it was maybe a mixed formation of F-16’s and at least one F-35. Could have been an F-15 too?  I think some exercise is taking place. Maybe they could be asked return to base at a lower flight level :D

8 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Maybe they could be asked return to base at a lower flight level :D

The beach at Kalives on the south side of Souda Bay is a great place for watching aircraft operating from the military side of Chania Airport. Spent many happy hours there with the kids splashing in the warm water and late model two seater F-16s with all the lumps and bumps powering overhead …

beat,

M.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Not quite over the house but……. On holidays in Crete and had F-16’s over the hotel high so only seeing plan view. Just regular all morning. Then this afternoon there were another five in a loose formation over Rethymno and given the height and peering between two high rises in the way I think it was maybe a mixed formation of F-16’s and at least one F-35. Could have been an F-15 too?  I think some exercise is taking place. Maybe they could be asked return to base at a lower flight level :D

There’s a large number of Lakenheath F-15s and F-35s at Chania at the moment. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

The beach at Kalives on the south side of Souda Bay is a great place for watching aircraft operating from the military side of Chania Airport. Spent many happy hours there with the kids splashing in the warm water and late model two seater F-16s with all the lumps and bumps powering overhead …

beat,

M.

Great tip. Might suggest a day out to Mrs T and put the blame on you :D

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

There’s a large number of Lakenheath F-15s and F-35s at Chania at the moment. 

Yep. Back again today

For anyone interested the Black Eagles are transiting Boscombe to Fairford tomorrow - 13th  July - and taking the opportunity for some sightseeing! Dep EGDM (Boscombe) 08:50BST then Salisbury, SAndbanks, Arundel, Brighton, Beachy Head, Dover, Canterbury, Leeds Castle, Bodiam, Beachy Head, Arundel, Midhurst, Fairford (due at 10:00BST)

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Great tip. Might suggest a day out to Mrs T and put the blame on you :D

While you’re there, worth a drive up to the top of the hill behind, where a Turkish fort sits on the headland. You come up through Megala Horafia to a car park at Aptera. The fort makes a nice walk with a splendid view of the bay and whatever happens to be docked. But Aptera is an amazing discovery — a huge Roman city that no one knew about until 20 years ago. I guess on Crete the Romans are the newbies…

best,

M.

• Thanks 1

Over here we’ve had a Bahraini Herc, an Omani C295, two M346s, two EF2000s (Italian and Kuwaiti), and more. All heading for Fairford. The two EF2000s actually used Gatwick Runway 26 approach albeit at FL260! 

7 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Over here we’ve had a Bahraini Herc, an Omani C295, two M346s, two EF2000s (Italian and Kuwaiti), and more. All heading for Fairford. The two EF2000s actually used Gatwick Runway 26 approach albeit at FL260! 

Nice, kept an eye and all I got were a couple of German Helicopters  

I work under the flight path for JLA and because the weather is warmish, most of the windows are open. This afternoon I heard an unfamiliar rumbling of turbo props. When I engaged my plane spotter app I found that it was a Covak Air An-12, UN-CNN. Would have been nice to see it as well as hear it.

Trevor 😕

Had the Black Eagles flying over Farnborough this past week, unfortunately just as I went to Germany! Luckily came back today to see a USAF F-16, followed by an F-15 and F-35 in formation early afternoon presumably for Fairford. 

Will

10 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

RR must be busy, had a KC-135 GOLD12 this morning just after 7 and I assume it had friends in toe judging by the noise  

Yes Stu, there was GOLD11 and GOLD12. They were pretty much directly over the top and hauling four Qatari F-15s on delivery out of Mildenhall 

edit: @PhantomBigStu luckily I was out in the garden checking the moth trap ;)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes Stu, there was GOLD11 and GOLD12. They were pretty much directly over the top and hauling four Qatari F-15s on delivery out of Mildenhall 

edit: @PhantomBigStu luckily I was out in the garden checking the moth trap ;)

Woke me up (nicer than an alarm albeit a tiny bit earlier than I needed to be up) 4x f-15 explains the roar, though if they heading to Qatar shouldn’t they have been heading somewhat east not dead south? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

That’s their regular route, Stu. They head from Barkway (BKY) to South Point (SPT), which is in the channel off Brighton, and then onward through France. They have to avoid Switzerland, of course. 

• Like 1

Hi Stu! I picked up at inbound Herc to Gatwick today on ADSB. I had barely 20 minutes to get to the 08 end and managed to snap her :). 

edit: it was so good to see a military aircraft in something other than grey! 

9EB06B07-77FE-4317-89E7-FD672511C24F

Martin

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

RAF display scheme Typhoon at 0930 and RAFAT at 1100 doing single-pass flypasts at Montrose Airfield Museum.

BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane due to do several flypasts around 1400 but unfortunately will be out of town for a medical appointment by then.

Good turnout to see the Typhoon despite the early hour but fantastic response for the Red Arrows a little later and hopefully the BBMF will get the same. 

• Like 1

For anyone interested and under the flight path, the same three South Korean C-130s are due back in Boscombe Down tomorrow evening. All are scheduled to arrive between 1800-1830, arriving from a Istanbul. 

Martin