What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

42 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I envy you the Spitfires @lasermonkey, it was not uncommon to see and hear them where we lived in the UK, but not here in rural France unfortunately.

I do realise how lucky I am. I live around five miles from Old Warden, so it is common to see their aircraft during the warmer months, plus anything visiting. Duxford is relatively close too, so we see much of their stuff. In addition, we're on the route between Wattisham and Middle Wallop. This means we get Apaches and Chinooks at the sort of altitudes that rattle your eyeballs in their sockets!

I expect I'll miss it when I move to Suffolk, though it's swings and roundabouts, because the nature is way better than it is in Bedfordshire.

I should also add that there was a Tiger Moth around an hour ago and just this moment, a Seafire XVII flew over.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I expect I'll miss it when I move to Suffolk, though it's swings and roundabouts, because the nature is way better than it is in Bedfordshire.

And if you like modern stuff you'll be close to Lakenheath and Mildenhall ! I'd love to move to suffolk! :)

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

And if you like modern stuff you'll be close to Lakenheath and Mildenhall ! I'd love to move to suffolk! :)

I'm going further south east, so I very much doubt I'll see much from there. Of all the time I have spent in the Suffolk Coastal AONB, (and I have spent a lot of time there) all I have seen is a couple of CV-22s.

While I do like to see modern jets, I honestly wouldn't want to live either nearby to the bases or underneath their playground. I went on holiday in North Norfolk a couple of years ago and the 48th FW turned up every day to practice. It was fun for a while, but the noise soon got tiring.

In February this year, Luton Airport's holding patterns were changed, and we now get a lot more jet noise we didn't have previously. It can get quite intrusive. I'll be glad to get away from it.

• Like 1

Just had a Hurricane do a couple circuits over my home for the Billingshurst Summer show. It looked to have desert scheme.  Any body else see this Hurri this afternoon or track it on fr24 or something??

PS:It's just occurred to me, it was BBMF most likely as pre covid 2,3 years ago we had the Lancaster come over for the same event.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that we had an Italian C-130 over yesterday. Somewhat smaller, less noisy and closer to the ground, we saw our first ringlet and marbled white butterflies of the year yesterday. Ringlets are pretty common, but I have seen very few marbled whites, especially around the village. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I forgot to mention that we had an Italian C-130 over yesterday.

She is just approaching now Worthing on her return trip, mate. 

Ringlets and Marbled Whites? Nice! I trapped a few Hawk moths this morning :) A Poplar and three Elephants :)

If you are on the inbound route to Brize, watch out for the Oman C295 that is inbound. Currently she is SE of Paris

• Like 2

Whilst in the workshop tonight, I put my LED lights on in the window, after having seen a few nice moths in the garden over the past few days (including an old lady, which settled down for a minute before flying off again. Definitely the biggest one I've seen yet). I managed to get at least four elephant hawk moths, which settled down at various points. I got to see some of them flying around, some of which bounced off me. I tried to coax one onto my hand, but he wasn't having any of it. I got a few photos, which I shall post here soon. One of the other villagers had thirty eight elephant hawk moths in his trap the other day and he took a great photo.

I also had a garden carpet (which somehow got into the workshop and had to be rescued), four common footmen, a treble lines, a brown tail, a riband wave and a few more that will require further study.

On 6/30/2022 at 3:12 AM, lasermonkey said:

Whilst in the workshop tonight, I put my LED lights on in the window, after having seen a few nice moths in the garden over the past few days (including an old lady, which settled down for a minute before flying off again. Definitely the biggest one I've seen yet). I managed to get at least four elephant hawk moths, which settled down at various points. I got to see some of them flying around, some of which bounced off me. I tried to coax one onto my hand, but he wasn't having any of it. I got a few photos, which I shall post here soon. One of the other villagers had thirty eight elephant hawk moths in his trap the other day and he took a great photo.

I also had a garden carpet (which somehow got into the workshop and had to be rescued), four common footmen, a treble lines, a brown tail, a riband wave and a few more that will require further study.

Very nice, mate. This year I have had Poplar, Privet and Elephant HMs. A couple of nights ago I got a very pretty Yellow Shell :). https://www.sussexmothgroup.org.uk/site/latestSightings.php

This year certainly isn’t as good as 2020, when there was an abundance of many species. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, mate. This year I have had Poplar, Privet and Elephant HMs. A couple of nights ago I got a very pretty Yellow Shell :). https://www.sussexmothgroup.org.uk/site/latestSightings.php

This year certainly isn’t as good as 2020, when there was an abundance of many species. 

I’ve had a terrible year, moth-wise. On any given night, I could expect to see several of certain species, such as common wainscots, willow beauties, double striped pugs, least carpets, riband waves, dark arches, mottled beauties and various types of rustics. Some nights I’m not getting a single thing. It’s quite concerning. 

The elephant hawk moths were a very welcome sight. One of them parked up over the day, and my wife was able to see it. She’s not a big fan of moths to say the least, but she’s fine with them during daylight. 

Just had the Avro Lancaster flying over my house on the western edge of Exeter at 16:30 this afternoon.

Last seen heading north up the Exe valley towards the (lately famous) town of Tiverton!

Well still tracking the oddball, its gone from Arizona all the way down to Belize for two days and has come back up to Arizona now. Oddly it disappeared over the Gulf of Mexico for 18 hours southbound and agin on the return trip. There must be a dead zone of tracking coverage in the area ? It took much longer for this than an normal airliner. Considering this is averaging about 30-50 knots and 59,000 to 68,000 feet. 

VNrpBMo.png

Im keeping a track to see just how long this stays up. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle