What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

Just spent a week in the southern Lake District at a campsite near Grange under Sands and seen a lot more activity than I am used to. TBH I think that is due to me being there midweek rather than weekend, better sight lines with the more open country than the fells we usually frequent, and spending time on Windermere which is a common route with easy entrance from the Irish Sea.

Lots of noise from aircraft above cloud and over the horizon and frequent sightings of Hawks and Tucanos. Saw three A400s, one at a distance flying up the Kent channel and two going up Windermere including one directly over the boat we were on followed by a Typhoon an hour later. I did notice the A400 seems to fly at a rather nose up attitude? And it really is very big, even my wife was impressed.

A lone Apache entering Windermere over Fell Foot and following the lake north.

Also an Osprey at altitude which was not a patch on the one I saw going down Coniston at eye level last summer. Then last night another Osprey right over the campsite about 10pm with the weird green rotor lights which I'd heard of but never seen and would be very odd for someone who did not know what it was.

Finally as I was packing the caravan away this morning an F15E at very low level just a few hundred yards away followed by an F35, another F15 and another F35. I was well pleased😀. I was very struck by the noise both the Lightnings made as they got me in their rear quarter. Significantly louder than the Eagles. I assumed it was something to do with the V/STOL business but I've just been on Google and it seems it's got 43,000lbs engine which would explain it!

So in all quite an interesting week. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Earlier this afternoon, a U2 heading into Fairford.

Then a Chinook.

Chinook-1.jpg

Then this pair - can anybody identify?

100-9612.jpg

The pair of trainers look like Grob Tutors or whatever the name is.

• Thanks 1

They look like Grob Prefects(G120TP) to me. They have retractable undercarriages and a turbo prop engine. They have some Grob Tutor lineage. 

They are used for Elementary training by 57 Sqn at Cranwell and based Barkston Heath. I gave seen the odd example coming into Leeds-Bradford. 

• Thanks 1

A C130 Herc doing low circuits over my way this morning. On its way into Leeds/Bradford no doubt. Not seen one for quite a while and rather enjoyed watching it pootle about 👍

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 2

Hi Steve, saw this one as well, you are right, not seen one around here for quite a while. ZH889 according to Flightradar 24.

• Like 1

GRIM99, US Air Force E-4B (The Doomsday Plane) heading west passed over mid-Devon at approx 2240hrs this evening at just over 30,000ft after leaving Mildenhall.

A little excitement this evening as B-52H 00044 transited across London at FL200 from the Thames Estuary towards the West as she headed back to Fairford. 

Just now, PhantomBigStu said:

Oh damn I missed that 

It was just after PICO62 and ‘63 made a U-turn to the West of London while flying a round robin from Moron. These were KC-46As. 

• Like 1

Just now, RidgeRunner said:

It was just after PICO62 and ‘63 made a U-turn to the West of London while flying a round robin from Moron. These were KC-46As. 

Did you see and hear the lovely proper Hercs (C-130H) earlier, heading South from Lakenheath to the South Coast and over London?

We had two "proper" Hercs over again today! In that I mean pre-J models. First was 94-7321 - a Hairdryer Herc in my parlance because it has the new engines and props - and then 62-3588 which was as god intended  - 4-blade T56!  I can already hear you crying out about 3-bladers and, I agree, they would be best, but there are none :(

PS: @PhantomBigStu HKY623 is heading back S now

PPS: HKY624 just coming live again at Lakenheath

• Like 1

This weekend various RNZAF aircraft have been overflying parts of the country to celebrate the 85th Anniversary of its formation.

Today the Heritage Flight went from Ohakea to Christchurch in the South Island and back to Ohakea. We were on the schedule but had no idea what route they would take over us.

So we stood out in the back garden from about ten minutes before the allotted time and were pleasantly surprised when only a couple of minutes late they appeared flying directly at our house, then executed a turn almost overhead before departing the area.

Flight comprised the Avenger, two Harvard II (or whatever they call them!) and a Spit. Sorry about the pic...an iPhone is my only camera these days.

vAw81hh.jpg

Edited by Kiwidave4
  • Like 4

My son & I went & waited down by the local airport for these, got a good view, looking & sounding super, but afterwards we realised their approach to the airport from Hanmer had taken them straight over our house, could've saved the trip.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A Chinook just went over (not squawking) and was really low. I barely heard it until it was right on top of us and just caught it as it disappeared over the rooftops.

Also I forgot to mention that I saw a formation of a Tiger Moth and two Magisters the other day. I guess they’re practicing for the first Shuttleworth display of the year.

Shuttleworth's Spitfire Vc AR501 is currently flying around on a test flight. It came close enough to see the squadron markings. Earlier on I had to go to the local farm produce shop to re-stock on bird food, and that's even closer to Old Warden. While I was there, a Percival Mew Gull was putting on a spirited display, whilst A Miles Hawk Speed Six took off. Damn, I'll miss all this when I move house!

A de Havilland Puss Moth, Bucker Bu 133 and a Piper Cub. Not bad for a five minute slot. Also a ruby tiger moth (the wee creature, not a red aeroplane) which I found on the footpath and moved to a safer place. Apparently bang-on for their flight period in this area.

• Like 1