What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

Not quite the theme of the thread but been tracking a usaf super Hercules that is about to land at Shannon hearing it pass by earlier and caught an RAF Herc doing nice bit of darkness touch and go practice on the beach at Carmarthen Bay

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Out for a walk yesterday at RSPB Fairburn Ings, which is a few minutes drive away when a Jet Provost Mk5 flew over. Surprised to say the least. 

Not a lot of lot of military aircraft activity in my part of rural France these days, probably the same everywhere, but yesterday I saw two! At 1435 an Epsilon passed directly overhead overhead at about 500ft and 30 minutes later a Xingu going in the opposite direction. I reckon that’s probably used up the A de l’A training budget for January.

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Not a lot of lot of military aircraft activity in my part of rural France these days, probably the same everywhere, but yesterday I saw two! At 1435 an Epsilon passed directly overhead overhead at about 500ft and 30 minutes later a Xingu going in the opposite direction. I reckon that’s probably used up the A de l’A training budget for January.

You are right, mate, things are quiet(ish) at present. Regarding French activity, it is actually still high, with regular training sorties by Xingus up to Birmingham and Cranwell. Occasionally, these are interspersed with a C-130 or CN235. I’m actually surprised at the amount of flying in to the UK by the French military. My experiences in my younger days around the bases was very different.

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a treat this afternoon. At just after 16.30 today from the murky weather a Merlin appeared just to the north of my house and pretty close. The sound of it approaching stirred me from my shed and ran out to garden to see what it was. Fly Navy! Wonderful sight despite the weather.

Currently Globemaster ZZ171 doing circuits into Leeds-Bradford from the South East. A bit of a crosswind at the moment, which is probably why it is here as LBA can be 'interesting' when the wind is blowing in certain directions. 

• Like 1

Hi all, this is a long shot but hope someone might know. A Merlin has been passing over our house, seemingly on trips, tootling through Derbyshire, it looks white or light grey but has a largish section of red fore and aft on the underside, kind of where the landing gear is. I'd say the front 25% and rear 25% of the main body. Seems to go up the side too but can never get a good enough look. 

Probably passed half a dozen times going back and forth in the last couple of weeks. Will try and get a better look, but just wondering if anyone might know what the paint scheme is given the large amount of red on it. 

We had a few things that. Entered this way yesterday in the clear skies :). The morning was brightened by Turkish KC-135 that tracked along the South East on its way to the US. Later a Kuwaiti KC-130J tracked directly over head on its way to Cambridge. Then the evening brought an Italian C-27J and a KC-130J heading south from Keflavik and beautifully silhouetted against the red sunset :). The Italians are returning their F-35s from Iceland soon as they have been replaced by Portuguese F-16s.

Martin

Morning for helicopters, just had the royal one go over but earlier not so pleasant a spot, Air Ambulance landed just up the road and took someone to hospital, no idea whats happened till it hits the local news later but area it landed is next to a school 😟

edit: just hit the news, year 7 kid hit by a van, just awful 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Sad 4

On 01/02/2022 at 18:32, Sharknose said:

Hi all, this is a long shot but hope someone might know. A Merlin has been passing over our house, seemingly on trips, tootling through Derbyshire, it looks white or light grey but has a largish section of red fore and aft on the underside, kind of where the landing gear is. I'd say the front 25% and rear 25% of the main body. Seems to go up the side too but can never get a good enough look. 

Probably passed half a dozen times going back and forth in the last couple of weeks. Will try and get a better look, but just wondering if anyone might know what the paint scheme is given the large amount of red on it. 

That sounds like a Coast Guard Helo

12 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Morning for helicopters, just had the royal one go over but earlier not so pleasant a spot, Air Ambulance landed just up the road and took someone to hospital, no idea whats happened till it hits the local news later but area it landed is next to a school 😟

edit: just hit the news, year 7 kid hit by a van, just awful 

Had another update, poor kid didn’t make it. Such a horrible outcome 

• Sad 2

Just been sitting chatting to Mrs B, and a very loud, low slightly wailing jet has passed over outside. “That sounds very weird” says I.  We get plenty of traffic overhead Whiston either on the way out of Manchester or at high altitude, but very little low level. Anyway, quick check on ADSB website shows it’s an Antonov 124 belonging to Volga-Dnpr departing Doncaster in a climbing turn to the west. A new one for my lifetime list!

best,

M.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

That sounds like a Coast Guard Helo

It is an S92 coastguard helo. It passes directly over us just south of Leek. It's been coming from Immingham and seemingly tootling round some Peak District and Snowdonian features, the major trauma centre at the Royal Stoke and RAF Valley so I'm guessing familiarisation flights? So big it looks like it's flying really slowly!

It was a bit early for a photo but yesterday we had WC-135W "Constant Phoenix" 61-2667, calling "JAKE21", overhead and heading to the Med. She looked great in the dawn sun. The signifiance is that she is the last of the Turbofan-engined C-135s in the USAF inventory. In fact she was due for retirement now but, as "ATOM01" she returned to Mildenhall over the weekend. What does she do? Air sampling, the clue being in the call-sign ;). She returned to Mildenhall last night. She was, of course, based at Mildenhall for many years as a "TC-135B" with the 10th ACCS.

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=215153 

https://www.key.aero/article/usafs-nuclear-particle-hunter

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=208640

Martin

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Had no idea they still had any TF33 engined c-135 left so that was a rare treat. Had a quite a few hercs in the last fortnight and my brain escapes me if it was yesterday or Sunday but a  USAF c-17 came over

Stu,

You had two HC-130J Combat King IIs over you on Saturday. These were the ones that were active in the ISIS attack in Syria this week. They returned Ramstein-Lajes OTT London! RC-135W OLIVE25 was also involved. 

Martin

Edit: thoughts are that JAKE21 was shadowing something in the Latakia area yesterday. 

48 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Not over my house but I thought some might like to know that B-52Hs HATE11 and HATE12 are arriving at Fairford now.

Martin

Saw one a few minutes ago, but unable to get to my camera.

Hopefully I'll get photos sometime during the next few days.