What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

Hi all

Not over my house but saw this Merlin over Dartmouth today getting off the steam train at Kingswear and queuing for the ferry to Dartmouth it was circling, looked lovely  sorry about the photo, it was on my phone

spacer.png

Another visitor, there was a Chinook that flew low along the estuary as we were getting off the ferry back at Kingswear  the crew were waving and it sounded awesome, I couldn't get my phone out quick enough to video it so waved back at the crew . What a sight  wow.

Chris

• Like 1

AR501 was around earlier, sounding pretty rough if truth be told. I watched as the pilot climbed slowly, very slowly, almost to a stall, then bunt the nose down (causing coughs, splutters and two big, black smoke trails) and speed away.

I'm guessing it's a shakedown flight.

Not over our house, but it was over the car whilst driving back from Devon on the M5 not far from Fairford; I saw a U-2R heading in to land, complete with that big hump aerial on its back. I did ask my wife to get a quick photo but it wasn’t easy from a car doing about 70mph! Especially with her iPhone.

Strangest thing though, just a couple of minutes earlier, the sat nav went funny, lost its position even though I was still on the motorway, it thought we were in a nearby field.
Had it been affected by some signals from the U-2?

• Like 1

A good day yesterday with AR501 sounding much better than the other day (see previous post), a Lysander,  couple of Piper Cubs and, whilst out for an evening stroll around the local nature reserve, the Red Arrows suddenly appeared, quite low and in perfect (obviously!) formation. I thought the formation looked bigger than usual and a quick count (I didn't have a great deal of time!) revealed eleven aircraft, unless I miscounted, which is always possible, given the window of opportunity.

• Like 1

Today saw a Swedish invasion of Jersey. The historic flight Viggen and Draken flew from their home base together with the Lansen, which overflew us here (almost). Certainly she could be seen in the clear skies.

Martin

p?i=c259e1fd371e812573f63f735a73ae2f

• Like 4

Just saw an Irish Air Corps PC9 scooting up Galway Bay at about a 1000 feet. Nothing odd about that but they were headed directly towards the embedded thunderstorms that are currently dumping cascades of rain on top of us. 

But a couple of minutes later, I didn't see it but heard a loud jet clearly climbing. FR24 revealed it to be an Airbus A330 NATO/Dutch tanker climbing directly through the red bits on the weather radar. I bet that was bumpy. 

An unusual visitor. It's now heading towards Iceland at 40, 000 feet. I wonder if it might be on the way to refuel an inbound delivery of F35s? 

• Like 1

@cmatthewbaconEither aerial photography or laser scanning. There's a lot of it going on these days. Various types of surveys and interesting aircraft. Some of it very low level flying. Saw a Turbo Porter a couple of weeks ago. Also a Twin Otter and a Basler turbine DC3 conversion. 

• Like 1

On Monday the South East of the U.K. was treated to a two-ship overflight of USMC KC-130Js, calling “RAIDER51”. They flew up from Souda and dropped in to Cardiff after crossing here at around FL260.

p?i=d4ff557aae1014963b13d5a4a32d1033

There probably wasn’t a spotter in the South East who didn’t see them :)

Martin

• Like 1

me neither. However it is a beautiful day here in the south-east and in among the many Spitfire & a couple of Hurricane overflights (Battle of Britain memorial, Capel-le-Ferne) the Swedish De Havilland DH.80A Puss Moth SE-AFH flew in across the Channel at low altitude passing right over the back garden - heading for Dx ? 

• Like 2

The usual traffic over our house are lookalike jets flying into Luton or Stanstead but we do have a regular Spitfire overflight. Today was different two Spitfires (together) and a little later  Hurricane G-HUPW. This is the first Hurricane I have seen here in 10 years.

• Like 3