What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

Went for a lovely walk around the village today and saw some nice things in the air. First was a P-51D in 4th FG markings, followed by a Miles Magister and DH Chipmunk practicing formations. Later I saw a Cessna 140.

The natural world didn’t let us down either with butterflies (brimstone, green-veined white, small white, holly blue, peacock and more orange-tips than you could shake a stick at), birds (buzzards, red kites, song thrush, mistake thrush, long-tailed and blue tits, swift, swallow, yellow and pied wagtails, whitethoat, lots of blackcaps (two of which were having an epic punch-up) jay and jackdaw) plus a solitary small red damselfly.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 1:51 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Spotted this bad-boy on my bike ride. Looks like a common buzzard - a priviledge for me.

I think you’re right. I saw one on a nearby tree on my walk today. They’re quite common in my neck of the woods these days, along with red kites. I never get tired of seeing them.

More off to the side while driving between my home and Arbroath but a USMC Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion landing at RM Condor around 1300 today , first time I have seen one.

Saw it from a distance later heading out from that area to a big flat topped grey boat offshore.

Couple of loud military types one before dinner around half six and another just after seven heading south, could have been kc135Rs or Rivet Joints as they can be loud but normally appear on ADSB. Whatever they were couldn’t been seen in the blue evening  sky. 

6 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

@PhantomBigStu there was two F-35 ferries this evening flying south from East Anglia to the South Coast, ROMA62 and ROMA84. Each had six F-35s. The second batch crossed Kent just after 7pm 

This first batch crossed you around 6.30pm. All HL F-35s heading to Mont de Marsan  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks RidgeRunner, explains why there was nothing on ADSB or to the eye :)

I think they were on 360radar and FR24, a bit like the recent GRIMM flights 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I think they were on 360radar and FR24, a bit like the recent GRIMM flights 

Didnt check both each time , but first lot wasn’t on the app version of FR24, and the second lot wasn’t on the desktop. Anyway mystery solved. And will be checking out 360radar, it’s not that uncommon I hear something that isn’t on FR24/ADSB. Thanks again 

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Didnt check both each time , but first lot wasn’t on the app version of FR24, and the second lot wasn’t on the desktop. Anyway mystery solved. And will be checking out 360radar, it’s not that uncommon I hear something that isn’t on FR24/ADSB. Thanks again 

Sometimes things like the Kuwait Hercs only show on adsbexchange with all selected rather than just mil. weird! The GRIMMs (B-52s in support of the Afghan withdrawal) only showed on FR24 initially. Later they started appearing on adsb.

• Like 1

Nothing!  Zero, zilch, nada!!  And I prefer it that way.  I spent five years living next to an international airport and that was enough noise for a lifetime.  In my current home I hear the occasional helicopter taking someone to the hospital in Bern and to the north there appears to be a military corridor and I see, from time to time, a Swiss Air Force Super Puma, Pilatus Porter or PC-21 passing by.  In a normal (non-covid) summer, hot-air balloons have passed overhead.  If I want to see noisy aircraft I go to an air show.

Mike