Back to the beginning

OK, @stevej60, this one's for you!  Don't worry, I had it in mind long before I saw your comment in chat, so no guilt necessary- in fact I took these photos about the time the Group Build started, and then got distracted.  This morning I printed side and top views from @Tailspin Turtle just to see if this pathetic kit actually does "look like a Skyhawk" (film at eleven...)

My desire is to represent the prototype, though that may be subject to revision.

xXFRvBGl.jpg

TInQnlNl.jpg

I'm envisioning this as "low impact" modeling- relatively little AMS and worry about perfection, and I figure this is the right sort of canvas!  Oh yes, and low impact among the audience, too...  Of course, I'll indulge at least a teensy bit of tweaking (no, not twerking- trust me, you don't want to see that) just for the fun of it.  And I'm already thinking of ransacking my 1/72 USN modeller-chum's boneyard, though no guarantees.

bob

• Like 2

Sir, I take my hat off to you. I don't think I have ever seen a Starfix kit attempted on BM before.

You can't go wrong with your reference material though, a superb book by an author that really knows his subject, all to rare unfortunately.

I am genuinely looking forward to seeing what can be done with this kit.

Welcome to the GB.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, sorry chaps, I got rather distracted!  I did, however, follow through on bumming some better gear legs and wheels, and just this morning I followed up on an evil scheme that I had in mind....

A friend had "handed down" some 1/72 F-16s (I think from a "Thunderbirds" set) that he'd thrown together to play with imaginary camo schemes.  I thought one just might provide a cockpit tub- without even checking carefully I just assumed that the kit attempt would be inadequate.  Well, with surprisingly little trouble I broke into the donor kit and found that there was a nice basic tub (the kit had a heavily tinted canopy, so I didn't actually know what I'd find) and a fairly generic bang seat.  I'll have to trim the side consoles, because they flare out rather a lot as you head aft, but I think once that's done it'll actually fill the void quite neatly!  Considering how awful the kit clear part (singular) is, it may be impossible to see inside anyway, but I'm still pondering that aspect.

(I'll add a picture or two when I get the chance.)

• Like 1