BOAC Whitley

Adam Poultney

Oops forgot to actually submit the previous post so here's two in rapid succession.

Following on from the previous post I airbrushed on a matt varnish and then did a small amount of exhaust staining using crusged up chalk pastels. I'm really not great at airbrushing exhaust staining so I didn't want to risk ruining this at the last step and went with my old method that isn't quite as good but I can do consistently. 

IMG_20210503_220614140

And Victor is making another appearance on the thread being a cute little floofball

IMG_20210503_223237048

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

IMG_20210503_204335379

These aerials were added, the one with the large roundish thing on it (no idea what it's for) 

The " roundish thing " is the direction finder loop aerial mounted in an aerodynamic fairing.

Chris

• Like 1

The model is now finished with masking all removed. I'll take better pictures later once I'm back from college. The additional paperwork i added in the cockpit is quite visible, now I just wish I bothered to add seatbelts

IMG_20210504_083311933

IMG_20210504_083320700

Wouldn't be one of my threads without a V Bomber making an appearance. In the background is my second Airfix Victor I built at the beginning of last year.

7 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Very nice. And I also use artist chalks for the exhaust trails. A lot simpler for me with still good results.

Any pictures of your results with them? 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

So here are the pictures at last

IMG_20210504_153451569~2

IMG_20210504_153309472~2

IMG_20210504_153523913~2

Definitely worth doing those bits inside the cockpit. Should have added seatbelts...

IMG_20210504_153424786

IMG_20210504_153413848

https://flic.kr/p/2kWDNKY

6 hours ago, Brad said:

Great build mate, I may have to pick one of these up for myself.

Absolutely recommend doing so, it's a joy to build

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 13

Superb build Adam - well done.  She looks an absolute treat :goodjob:

She looks right at home there in your cabinet next to the Victor :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing you get some more pics posted as it would be a shame to not see more of her.

Thanks

Kris 

• Like 1

Wow great minds think alike Adam - you were obviously uploading your pics as I was posting my last message.

One word - STUNNING!!  Cracking job Adam and you've really showed off what is a cracking kit in all it's glory - a fantastic example of modelling at it's best!! :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing it with all us.

Kris

• Like 1

That looks great, Adam. Nicely done.

I checked both my Whitley kits yesterday, and yes, you're right. Airfix effed it up on where to add that DF loop. There isn't a location marked anywhere on the fuselage top piece.

Chris

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

That looks great, Adam. Nicely done.

I checked both my Whitley kits yesterday, and yes, you're right. Airfix effed it up on where to add that DF loop. There isn't a location marked anywhere on the fuselage top piece.

Chris

Did you see if the wings have the location for the pitot or have I just filled mine inadvertently?

7 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Did you see if the wings have the location for the pitot or have I just filled mine inadvertently?

:poop:! No, I forgot to look. I'll do it now, as it's still on the table.

Chris

Nada! Nothing! Not even a little dimple to show where it should go. Airfix needs to get their :poop: together and look out for these details.

Chris

• Like 1

That is one beauty of a plane! And quite unique with the closed over nose.

14 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Any pictures of your results with them?

Sure. This is the Do-335. I kept them light on this one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Dinah,

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the Corsair (may have gone a little too heavy on this one...),

spacer.png

• Like 5

Nice model. Great to see WW2 BOAC aircraft!

I made the Whitley myself a few years ago, from the short run Fly (?) kit, and with Vingtor decals. Airfix is a much better kit though.

Nils

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

22 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Nada! Nothing! Not even a little dimple to show where it should go. Airfix needs to get their :poop: together and look out for these details.

Chris

Absolutely they do, how can this sort of detail be missed... 

19 hours ago, Thom216 said:

That is one beauty of a plane! And quite unique with the closed over nose.

Sure. This is the Do-335. I kept them light on this one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

These look great! Must really get myself some more chalk then.

11 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Nice model. Great to see WW2 BOAC aircraft!

I made the Whitley myself a few years ago, from the short run Fly (?) kit, and with Vingtor decals. Airfix is a much better kit though.

Nils

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow! this looks amazing, I'd love to put this side by side with mine. Perhaps one day at a model show.... remember those?

I think that that kit has the turret fairings more correct than Airfix's take on them; Airfix's ones smoothly blend in with the shape of the fuselage, but theyshouldn't.

Edited by Adam Poultney
I don't know who Todd is but he's obviously someone autocorrect thought I meant when I typoed the word this
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Great build Adam and it looks stunning. I have this in my stash, but I’m going for the other scheme...

😁

Thanks :)Certainly  looking forward to seeing your build of this 

8 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Victor could be the twin of our Syrian - they look very similar!😁

The amount of times I've seen hamsters on Facebook groups that look just like Victor.... Not sure I could even tell them apart if they were next to each other, which is precisely where two Syrian Hamsters should never be.

I've had four hamsters now, in gradually better and better enclosures. The first one I had was in one of those small wire cages, bar chewing and climbing all the time until she escaped and was put in a more suitable cage when we found her again. Didn't know better at the time. Victor is in a 690 sqin setup with a proper 12" wheel, 10" of bedding in about ¾ of the cage and it still feels small sometimes. Needy little creatures aren't they 😂 but very cute

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

That's a magnificent job all round. So unusual to see a civilian aircraft with military camo!

Thanks :) Yeah it's quite unusual, although boac had quite a few in ww2

• Haha 1

Well since this is done I'm now working on a Valiant for anything but injection. I might even be doing an unarmed one (a photo reconnaissance aircraft), but it's a better fit in the other GB and I might change to a regular bomber yet. 

I'll not be getting in a second build for this GB quite yet, but I have a Tu144 kit on the way, another Tu144 in the stash and a C47 I want to build, all of which qualify for this. So I'll definitely be doing a second unarmed build at some point.

Valiant thread here if anyone is interested

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Having just spent an hour on cage cleaning, etc., I'd have to agree with you! 😁

Anyway, back to models...! 😉

😂 try spot cleaning, I usually spot clean the dirty areas every other week and do a larger clean every 6 weeks or so, but even then with 10"deep bedding the deepest bedding lasts months without getting dirty. 

This is Victor's enclosure just before the previous big clean. He's currently sleeping under that wooden platform on the right, he seems to like the privacy under there.

IMG_20210406_165703029

• Like 2

That's an outstanding build Adam, congratulations.  Just the perfect amount of weathering to my eyes. :goodjob:

Cheers

(P.S. I'm now suffering from display case envy - yours look like quality items :thumbsup2:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 4:32 PM, Heather Kay said:

They were actually painted aluminium dope, not bare metal. Please don't do a shiny polished bare metal finish. ;)

Sorry to belatedly hijack Adam's thread with a completely unrelated question (I was just scanning down for build tips for when I do my Whitley), but I've just acquired an Italeri Fiat BR.20 Cicogna that I fancy doing in a "metal flat aluminium" scheme and was wondering what paint I'd use (I'm a brush/rattlecan painter). I figured I wouldn't be buffing up the Metalcote to make it all shiny, but what paint do you think I'd use? 56 out of the can? Ta.

59 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Sorry to belatedly hijack Adam's thread with a completely unrelated question (I was just scanning down for build tips for when I do my Whitley), but I've just acquired an Italeri Fiat BR.20 Cicogna that I fancy doing in a "metal flat aluminium" scheme and was wondering what paint I'd use (I'm a brush/rattlecan painter). I figured I wouldn't be buffing up the Metalcote to make it all shiny, but what paint do you think I'd use? 56 out of the can? Ta.

For airbrushing I use Vallejo Metal colors straight from the bottle. and I'm very happy with these, also the range is rather wide. I also brush paint details easily. I don't know how it would go with brush painting larger surfaces, though. Don't shake it but stir it and don't put steel balls in the bottle as both these things seem to spoil the paint (guess how I know it, at 7 € a bottle ....yet you get 32 ml for that price).

• Thanks 1