Star of Chenonceaux - Revell 1/144 Lockheed L.1049G Super Constellation

PattheCat

5 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Ajmm, please could you give me a link to pics of your builds?

Of course - I only have pictures of one that I converted to an airborne early warning Connie - but it's essentially out of the box with the windows faired over and a few small bumps here and there...

The other I built in a MATS Air Force scheme. I didn't take any build photos of either I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brad said:

Nice metal coat. I might have to try that one.

I promised on another topic to spray some of these metal colors side by side to show what they look like and how their compare with eachother. But in the meantime I found it's already been done more than once for all the range so my intended input becomes superfluous.

You can have a look - a.o. - at:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/73712-my-personal-tests-with-vallejo-metal-air-paint/

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346964-vallejo-metal-color-range/

• Like 2

A good afternoon to all Britmodellers. Yesterday was a a day devoted to modelling. I guess you expect the white paint to have been applied. Sorry, but I decided to paint "details" on the wings instead. The goal is to minimize handling after the white will be on.

Lots of masking, which I really don't like. Why does masking tape stick better to fingers than on the model?  One of a modeller life's great mysteries.,. but very neat results so it was worth it. Some very small touch-ups needed, but that's for later, before decals.

According to the instructions, the area behing the exhausts and cowling flaps should be painted "mouse grey". I find it quite doubtful as on all pics of planes dating back to the fifties this seems either a sort of natural metal or very dark. So I used burnt iron as for the exhauts. The small darker area on the wing is steel paint.

spacer.png

The aileron's underside and part of the wing above received dull aluminium which is more of a light metallic grey to my eyes (Revell calls for a 75/25 mix of aluminium and flat light grey)

spacer.png

Then the leading edges received a coat  of flat black for the de-icing zones.

spacer.png

I forgot to paint the de-icers on the tailplanes before masking for white paint!

spacer.png

Ready for the white. As I'm often unlucky with glossy whitish colors (time to cure, if they even do) I'll go for a plain Tamiya flat white. The finishing clear coat shall take care of that. Still not sure if I'll apply a final gloss or semi-gloss clear coat but It will be easier to decide what I like most when it will have received the gloss varnish before decalling.

So far, so good but If you'd be so kind as to cross fingers - and maybe toes too 😀 - for when I'll apply the white, my thanks in advance.

Have a very nice day.

Pat.

• Like 9

Good evening. The temperatures ramped up these last days but I got the white painted on.

I tried for the first time to use "kitchen" cling film for masking. Never again! The metal colors I use never ever lifted when masked with tape. Removing the film left a sticky residue in places (on the metallizers and on the black but nothing on the white?) and even lifted the metallic colors added over the silver. As Vallejo metal colors get very easily removed when rubbing with a cotton bud and water, I sanded the affected areas with a 3600 grit sanding cloth.

spacer.png

The fuselage's central seam is too large but after breaking it three times I decided to leave it alone.

spacer.png

The masking tape lifted so the front and rear curves need a tad of correction (jagged line and overspray)

spacer.png

So just a bit more tydying up than expected but I consider myself  very lucky as the silver and white are undamaged.

Then I just have to paint the wingtip fuel tanks and the cockpit window pillars and it will be ready for gloss clear and decals.

Have a nice week-end and happy modelling time.

Pat.

• Like 8

Hello folks. Sorry to say it but I made a bit of a mess while touching up the white paint. Paint overflow and overspray. Some sanding and repainting in order, nothing special but slowing me down. If it doesn't make it to the GB Gallery, I'll post the result in the RFI section.

Still, I'll do my best to be in time, so please keep an eye on this thread and thanks for following.

Cheers.

Pat.

Edit 07/30: everything is now to my liking. The gloes coat goes on tomorrow.

• Like 2

Greetings from a clumsy guy who had much luck these past few days. Let me explain:

- broke 2 prop blades when unmasking. Back on in seconds.

- spilled nearly all the bottle of silver paint over my workspace with the model on it. Caught the kit out of the way and there were just two silvery fingerprints. A wet towel, some wet sanding and woosh, gone with the wind (a coat of gloss had already been applied).

- decal setting solution applied, kit set to dry. There was a stray piece of translucent masking film that decided  to cling on the fuselage stripes. Half an inch of these went away with the film. A look at the decal sheet, bingo! The numbering for the other TWA scheme included "I"s ( for ones) of just the same width as the stripes. Easy repair thus.

So, here it is with the decals on. These are printed in Italy and nothing short of excellent.

.spacer.png

Still three decals to place. That's for tomorrow then a coat of gloss over the decals, some stains around the exhausts and finishing the props.

Last thing will be the dozen antennas, probes and lights.

I hope you won't need it but I wish you all as much luck as I have had.

Pat.

• Like 12

Hello, chaps.

It's a bit of a shame when having gone so far but I decided to not finish the build for next saturday. Deadlines stress me and it's not fun anymore since a few days (making me do clumsy/dumb things). The decals with the name of the plane clung to my fingers and were ruined. I take it as a warning. I'm very happy with the result so far and don't want to ruin the model so I'll take my time for the finishing touches.

Be sure you'll see the final result in the RFI before Nordic II starts.

Sorry to disappoint and my sincere thanks to all those who took a look, followed and supported me for my first participation in a GB. It's also most pleasurable to see the work of others unfolding and I think - even if it's a difficult choice - I know for which creation I'll vote.

Special thanks to Brad for organizing a GB with so much variety.

Have a nice day and much fun with your plastic (or other build materials).

Cheers.

Pat.

PS this is a sound kit and with some care and patience you'll get a wonderful model. Hope my experiences will help therefore. Special note to @stevehnz: don't leave yours in the stash, please. I'd really like to see you build one.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

This is a great build project and a real pleasure to watch, Pat . The result is a stunner! 

I think you're making the right decision, this is not the time to be working under pressure. But I can get a decal to stick to my thumb at any time 😶

Although it's a shame she won't make it to the GB galleries, which as you say is an impressive collection of all types. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

This is a great build project and a real pleasure to watch, Pat . The result is a stunner! 

I think you're making the right decision, this is not the time to be working under pressure. But I can get a decal to stick to my thumb at any time 😶

Although it's a shame she won't make it to the GB galleries, which as you say is an impressive collection of all types. 

Many thanks, Rob. Happy to see you like it that much, it's soothing the (relative) "pain" not to show it on final and much rewarding. My guts tell me to go on but my brains say "take it easy". I'll try to sit at the workbench on a more regular basis for my next project (a Swedish P-51D-5 Mustang for Nordic II GB). I have no excuse as I'm prematurely retired (except I don't like to work under artificial lighting).

Regards.

Pat.

• Like 1

Pat, that is looking great, and I think you have made the right choice in delaying the finish. I will look out for it in RFI, it is a stunning scheme, on a beautiful aircraft.

Cheers, Ray

• Thanks 1