PR XIX Leuchars

Angus Tura

Hi.

I started this last night. 

210416a Box 210416b Bits

This is a dentally aware model. I've been trying to get a centurion tank finished in the Anzac GB but it's hard work. I got my teeth drilled out a week ago and had no idea how much pain that was going to give me: I am regretting all of the soor plooms and other boilings of youth. Anyway, I really couldn't concentrate on the centurion last night and have wanted to start this for a bit.

I have some Kit-World decals for this somewhere and a photo of a PR.19 at Leuchars and want to have a go at that. The kit is really nice. It does have a few things though: no proper wheel-wells and closed cockpit canopy, which I don't like. I'm going to do it straight kit and try some painting and putty-ing things I've been wanting to try for a bit.

The fit seems about perfect and that's what they say on-line.

210416c airframe

I want to wall in the wheel wells but don't want to use plasticard to do it, to try to stay OOTB.

210416c empty wheel well

Here is the edge roughed up with an 11 blade,

210416d wheel wells roughed up

Clingfilm anti-stick and magic-sculp epoxy sausage,

210416g wheel wells clingfilm sausage

Squished together,

210416h Wheel wells squished

and eight hours later:

210417a unsquished

No bad. A bit of carving to do.

See you later,

Alan

• Like 8

Thanks Brad.

The wheel-well filling has worked OK, but only OK.

Some of it is gap free,

210417c no gap

but some of it's a bit gappy.

210417d gap

So, I've repeated and it looks pretty good. I've had a problem of the putty not sticking well to the putty: it sticks well to the plastic as long as you get it on shortly after mixing the putty. There's a few bits to Mr.Surface.

210418b pretty good

Next: the canopy

Alan

• Like 4

That's a clever trick with the wheel wells!

I like this kit, I built it when it first came out (during my "second age of modelling"), Will follow with interest. Enjoy!

Thanks Brad.

Here's the canopy pre-surgery

210417b canopy new

, and post surgery with a tamiya razor saw.

210418d cut-up canopy

210418e Canopy to fit 1

So, the windscreen and the fixed canopy fit but the sliding canopy needs a bit of help.

210419a Canopy sanded

After a lot of sanding of the inside of the canopy, and a little sanding of the spine, it's pretty close.

tempFileForShare_20210419-012155 (2)

Here it is with a bit of Samsung-pen work. The canopy needs to drop down a bit more and, looking at online pictures, I think the top of the windscreen and the top front edge of the canopy should be at the same level (the dashed line). I've tried to preserve the frame of the canopy when sawing up the transparency, but that has mean that the windshield is a bit short/low. I'm hoping that building up the windscreen and dropping down the canopy a bit will look OK.

Alan

• Like 7

Hello again.

This was going well until I got a crack in the windscreen.

210420a Broken windscreen

Not successfully fixed! This is a double-edged sword in that it means using a second canopy/kit. So, that means I can keep the frame on the windscreen this time and not have to build up the windscreen which was going to be difficult.

Here's the new windscreen and all sanded up:

210420b New windscreen 210420c All sanded to fit

I had another problem on polishing the canopy clear again. Where I thinned it out to fit the spine I just used a straight file and that has ended up making an edge. So, when this was polished, it acted as a lens and did not look good.

210421a sanded canopy problem

So I've used a riffler-file to take the edge off,

210421b riffler filed canopy

and then re-polished.

And here it is.

210422a done 210422b done close-up

The canopy has been coated with Gauzy Intermediate because it developed a little crack which I was keen to control. The windscreen and the glazed bit of the spine, the name of which I don't know, are just polished: serial wet and dry 1000 to 5000 followed by coarse, fine and finish Tamiya compounds on a pointy Tamiya cotton bud.

Here is the line of the top of the windscreen and I think it's close enough.

210422c Lines of canopy and windscreen

It is a bit of a relief to have this done, frankly.

As I have opened a second kit, I'm going to re-do the wheel wells. More anon.

Thanks for looking.

Alan

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see a Mk19 in this GB 

I have the Fujimi one, and no before anyone asks with 3 builds in this GB already, I won't be adding one of these.

Really looking forward to watching this one, best of luck.

Cheers Pat