Special Hobby Wirraway in 1/72nd, Finished

Mr T

A little late to the party, but I am starting on my Special Hobby Wirraway. The Wirraway was  one of the many variants of the Harvard/Texan theme in this case the NA33 that was licence built by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation who modified the type in terms of its armament. When the type was ordered, there was some argument over ordering an American type, but given the need to rapidly expand Australian defence capability, there was little choice. It was to be used as a trainer and General Purpose type and survived in the former role until 1959. As a general purpose aircraft it was caught up in the disasters surrounding the Japanese attack in Malaya and the South West Pacific, but saw the war out in an army cooperation role, often sharing the duty in mixed squadrons with Boomerangs. The Special Hobby kit consists of grey injection moulded parts with no location pins except for the tailplanes and some vague indications for the cockpit parts. There is an injection moulded canopy and landing lights and a resin engine and cowling. Decals are for four aircraft including one which may be in the Sea colours used by the RAAF as it was used for coastal patrols. The instructions mention this, but give no sources. I fancy this scheme as a Boomerang is also planned for this Group build. First off will be the interior, that looks a bit fiddly with a bit of vagueness around the instructions as to what goes where.

51120759696_d41fc4ed8c_c_d.jpg

51120759531_0a25f04c61_c_d.jpg

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 6

Thanks everyone, some more pics tomorrow, or even later today as had a bit of a spurt as found more time (helped by Mrs T doing a vaccination clinic). The interior fuselage structure is together and needs some paint touch up, much to my surprise it fitted with a bit of work. One of the seats is a bit wonky, so going to look at that. 

The interior framework has had a paint touch up and gone into the fuselage and the resin parts removed their casting plugs, something that was relatively straightforward.

The fuselage halves are together, and I will put pics up when cleaned up a bit The fuselage interior from all the info I have found seem to be an aluminium finish, so I have gone with that.

51128598070_15f0a88458_c_d.jpg

• Like 11

A nice start Mr.T.   I do like Special Hobby kits - there's generally enough extra work to give you some satisfaction, but not too much that it becomes a chore!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A fair bit more progress on the Wirraway as the major parts went together fairly well, although the wings needed a bit of coaxing. Since the photo was taken I have primed it and found a few things to sort out. The final colour scheme is still undecided, the original idea of using coastal colours is in doubt, so I may play it safe. Dry fitting the cowling shows a fit issue. I think the resin may have shrunk a bit more than intended. We shall see.

51145127604_2b30a2e884_c_d.jpg

51143672187_3145e85ee6_c_d.jpg

• Like 5

Engine and cowling added and the canopy is on. The model is primed and one bit around the tailplanes needs a bit of work on it. A coat of Sky Blue is due on courtesy of Lifecolor and then there will be a break for Saturday for a week as we are away to Mull (Long story involving Lockdown and my mums ashes), I don't want to properly mask the canopy etc. and leave it on while we are away. It will avoid problems getting the mask off again. 

51158387429_29c214e556_c_d.jpg

• Like 12

This is coming together nicely and I'm so pleased to see a Wirraway in the GB.

Hope all goes well in Mull.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, put a coat of Sky Blue before we left and it will need a bit of touch up before the upper surfaces go on. 

A bit wet when we got here, but weather is expected to get better. Very nice place to stay, just relaxing with a glass of wine. On the drive up an otter ran across the road in front of us. A bit of an early start to get to the ferry at Oban, like 3.30am, forgotten that time existed, brought back memories of trying to stay focused on nights when I was the only charge nurse on for the hospital. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Mull (no aeroplanes, but White Tailed and golden Eagles, Minke Whales and Porpoises) and the Wirraway has been painted and a coat of gloss varnish has gone ready for the decals, hopefully from tonight. I am hoping to fit a Boomerang in to this GB as well.

51192839367_911c0b615e_c_d.jpg

I have used paints from the Lifecolor RAAF set, quite impressed by how they have gone on, but worried after reading about how quickly they can go off, which is why the Boomerang will be done next

• Like 5

Thanks. The paints did go on well. The blue and brown were airbrushed on and the green was painted on with a hairy stick. Since my stroke a number of years ago, I struggled with masking  as I sometimes found it difficult to interpret camouflage patterns on paper and found it easier to use thinned paint to outline the pattern the model itself. A bit bizarre really, but the brain works in all sorts of funny ways. 

• Mr T changed the title to Special Hobby Wirraway in 1/72nd, Finished

Lovely work! Nice to see a 23 Squadron version, and you've done a very sharp rendition from the kit. The overall finish looks excellent, the close tone of the green and brown is very realistic!

Edited by Derek_B
update
  • Thanks 1