Ilyushin Il-76LL

zebra

I'm going to have to try very, very hard not to overcommit to this GB since so much of my stash qualifies. I've got a lot of ideas for builds and there's no way they're all going to make it, but the one at the top of the list is an Il-76LL of the Gromov Flight Research Institute - specifically this one:

Gromov_Flight_Research_Institute,_RA-765

Gromov_Flight_Research_Institute,_RA-765

This is RA-76529, which has been used to test a few engines - it appeared at Farnborough in (I think) 1994 with a propfan engine intended for the Antonov An-70 in the no.2 engine position. It was wearing a more traditional Aeroflot-style colour scheme back then. This incarnation has the Aviadvigatel PD-14 engine for the Irkut MC-21 airliner in that position. 

The Zvezda Il-76MD is the base kit. I've had this since it was first released so it's about time I built it. I've always been surprised we don't see more of these built. Here's the box shot:

1:144 Il-76

Obviously it needs a PD-14 engine, so I've drawn one up and printed out a test print on my 3D printer:

PD14 front PD14 rear PD-14 test print

Obviously I've printed two sets here - it's good to have a spare - and I just realised I forgot to print the heat exchanger intake for the rear fuselage, but there's plenty of time for that. I've broken the engine down into 8 components - the fan, separate fan spinner, engine core, nozzle centre body, nacelle in 3 parts, and pylon. Looking forward to building it up.

I've also designed decals and had them printed by Dr Decal and Mr Hyde in Sydney, who always seem to do a good job.

Looking forward to getting into this. If I can make quick progress there will be another Gromov aircraft to follow - a Tu-154.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 17

Started with the fuselage - all fairly straightforward so far. Instructions give no indication of whether any weight is needed in the nose, so I stuck a few foreign coins in there to be on the safe side.

Il-76LL WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 6

I've been chipping away at this one over the last few days - 5 minutes here and there seems to have got me quite a long way through the build! Fuselage is pretty much done, I'm on to the wings (just dry-fitted here), also started painting engine components, and need to decide what colours to use for the grey and the blue so have painted some plastic spoons with a few different options. 

Il-76LL WIP

The kit goes together pretty nicely. There's nothing I'd call a 'fit issue', just need to take care with aligning the parts in a few places. The windscreen part - as with every kit I've ever built that does the cockpit glass this way - needs a little blending in, and there were a couple of spots where I've put a tiny amount of PPP in a gap, but that's about it. 

You can't see it clearly here - I'll try and remember to photograph it properly - but I've modified the tail turret slightly. You'll often see an Il-76MD with the original turret in place but no guns fitted, but on this airframe the ball of the turret seems to have been replaced with a similar-shaped fairing that is smoothly faired in to the fuselage. This was easily done with a bit of PPP to fill a couple of gaps and about 5 minutes with a sanding stick. There's also a sensor (I'm assuming a small radar unit) above the gunner's window on the Il-76MD which is replaced here with a shorter fairing whose shape looks a lot like the end of the sensor, so I just cut that part down and smoothed the joint a bit.

Going to try and get as far as painting this one today.

cheers

Julian

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Well it's certainly looking Il76 shaped. I love this plane

I do too. There's something about it that really appeals to me - the sweeping shape of the fin seems to go against the utilitarian nature of the thing, the wing sitting on top of the fuselage with that anhedral seems to give it a bit of an air of menace from the front, and there's something very old-school-Soviet about the greenhouse cockpit windows and nav's windows.

A little more progress today - everything blended in nicely and primed ready for a coat of grey paint (that probably won't look all that different from the primer!):

Il-76LL WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 6

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I have had the pleasure of looking around the interior of a couple of them, the nav's station in the nose is really interesting place.

I'm jealous! Would love to have a look inside one of these. The view from the nav's station in flight must be pretty special as well.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! A bit more progress - (mostly) assembled the test engine:

Il-76LL WIP

Just need to reprofile the front end of the pylon (a bit too much got sanded off) then I'll fit it to the wing. Also have the intake ring and fan spinner to attach.

• Like 5

Now with four engines (well, almost - the thrust reversers on the three D-30s are a dull metallic colour so I'm leaving them off until after I've applied the gloss coat):

Il-76LL WIP

Gloss coat tomorrow, then decal time.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Can't believe it's been more than two months since my last update on the Il-76! Decided it was high time I got my finger out and finished it. Painted the wheels earlier in the week - the prospect of painting 20 wheels is daunting but much more manageable when you realise the hubs of only 10 of them are going to be visible. Last few decals on, undercarriage done, a couple of decals, engines back on, and it's finished. Here's one photo, more in the gallery shortly:

1/144 Il-76LL

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 8