CA-28 Ceres

zebra

I'm going to build a CA-28 Ceres. This was a development of the Wirraway, built using some Wirraway components (although not a lot was used without modification), and saw quite extensive use as a crop duster in Australia. I've been wanting to build one of these since I first saw the one at the Moorabbin air museum near Melbourne, finally got round to buying one - this is the LiftHere! resin kit in 1/72. Here's what you get in the box:

1:72 CA-28 Ceres

Nicely cast resin, vacform canopy (and a spare), and a simple but good-looking decal sheet for the one option shown on the box.

I'll probably make a start on this tomorrow. In the meantime here's my photo from the Moorabbin air museum:

Ceres VH-WOT

cheers

Julian

• Like 14

2 hours ago, reini said:

BTW what's with the cockpit high up - this is not the only agricultural plane that has similar cockpit arrangement?

I'm just speculating, but I think there are probably two reasons - good visibility would be one, you'd want a pretty good view of the ground ahead of you if you're flying low and want to make sure you drop your load of fertiliser or pesticide (or, in the case of one photo I've seen, fish) in the right place. And they need to make room for internal storage of the fertiliser, pesticide, fish etc, which you'd want to be fairly close to the centre of gravity, so perhaps raising the pilot up above it meets that need as well.

• Like 2

Oooh Happy to see one of these in the mix. I agree I think its a visibility thing you definitely want clear sight lines all around. Sitting higher than the fuselage gives you the ability to look straight down as well. If your in the fuselage you can only see so far due to the walls. And you definitely do not want to bank at low altitude, lest you cartwheel to your finally resting place.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Saw one of these in the MOTAT collection in Auckland 2019. I was surprised at how big it is. 

Me too - seems quite a lot bigger than a Wirraway, particularly the wingspan which isn't very much narrower than the DHC-3 Otter I just finished.

This looks good :coolio:.   I've used a few Lift Here! decals over the years, but I think this is the first time that I've seen one of their kits being built.

I don't think I've seen this kit built online and I am very excited. As a kid I has a poster of ZK-BSQ (operated by a company I went on to apprentice with) on my wall that has sadly disappeared, but I've had a soft spot for it ever since. The kit looks great!

• Like 1

This looks fabulous and really something quite bizarre to add to your quite colourful collection of kits Julian. This will be good so I’m another that looks forward to seeing this one get going. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I’ve not got far with this yet (been getting a bit carried away with the Il-76LL in the unarmed GB and need to finish the Kahu before I run out of time in the ANZAC GB) but have applied a bit of paint to the interior and will start assembly soon. There isn’t a lot of interior to build, but not much will be visible, so it’s going to be a very basic paint job on the inside.

more soon

Julian

• Like 1

Dont stress, Julian. I’m bad for getting pressured to finish at the detriment of the finished result. You’ll get there and a clear mind will produce a better model :)

Martin 

• Thanks 1

Julian,

As Martin says, don't stress.

Very glad that somebody's bring the ugly member of the family to the party though.

• Like 1

Hi Julian,

Sitting very prettily . Think I may have to look for one. Best of luck with the build.

Regards Andy

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Time I got a move on with this. Not had a lot of time for it this weekend, but spent some time cleaning up seams on the fuselage and have added the one-piece wing. There are a couple of gaps to fill but nothing serious. Hopefully I'll have a complete airframe pretty quickly.

CA-28 Ceres WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5

Hi Julian,

Good progress on the Ceres. Did you notice there was another completed build of this kit on the site:

I know the builder and saw this kit in a near complete state at a club meeting a couple of months back. I have the kit but not sure when it will reach the build list - I am working on a Wirraway currently though so should be a good comparison.

Best of luck with your build.

Michael

• Thanks 1

Love the Ceres!  to spur you on - I finished a 1/48 conversion (Conversion of a Sirius Wirraway conversion of a Monogram Texan...) about 12 months ago.  Magnificent schemes available - and can vouch for the @Derek_B book on the aircraft. 

DSC02672

• Like 5