Search for pictures of the Canberra PR.9 XH175

nexus11

Although I had already asked about this Canberra in another thread, I was advised there to make the search for images stand out in the title as well.

So here is my question for all pictures of this particular  aircraft.

Preferably in 1969 condition.

Most preferably from 08/08/1969 after landing at RAF Luqa when the aircraft was badly beaten up in a thunderstorm.

Or also gladly from other Canberras after a thunderstorm....

I am also looking for photos or plans of the internal structure of the tail fin.

Thank you Canberra experts!

5 hours ago, nexus11 said:

Although I had already asked about this Canberra in another thread, I was advised there to make the search for images stand out in the title as well.

So here is my question for all pictures of this particular  aircraft.

Preferably in 1969 condition.

Most preferably from 08/08/1969 after landing at RAF Luqa when the aircraft was badly beaten up in a thunderstorm.

Or also gladly from other Canberras after a thunderstorm....

I am also looking for photos or plans of the internal structure of the tail fin.

Thank you Canberra experts!

lD4bNF.jpg

PR.9 drawing

lD4sme.jpg

This is a B.2 fin but the structure is basically the same.

Let me know if you need more?

John

Edited by canberra kid
added more info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

B.2 in orange colours? One of the three German ones?

Thanks for the pictures, I was not aware of this amount of wooden structure albeit I knew of course of wooden parts.

As far as I know there was an antenna inside the fin of the PR.9. 
If this is correct, do You know anything about form and position?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nexus11 said:

B.2 in orange colours? One of the three German ones?

Thanks for the pictures, I was not aware of this amount of wooden structure albeit I knew of course of wooden parts.

As far as I know there was an antenna inside the fin of the PR.9. 
If this is correct, do You know anything about form and position?

It is one of the German B.2's, well spotted! I'm not sure the PR.9 did have the aerial in the fin, some Mk.'s had a Gee-H aerial in there, but I'll have a look in the library later today to confirm. around 1982 they got the RWR mounted at the top of the fin. There is a lot of wood, but English Electric had a lot of Joiners who had a very strong union! :) 

This probably how she looked at the time, the medium grey area on the fin is the protective coating on the linen covering the plywood. 

lwSjGO.jpg

John

• Like 1

Hey John, thanks again.

As was discussed here a time ago we figured out that this antenna seemingly was installed.

And XH175 was already camouflaged then.

Can You confirm this?

5 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Wasn't it because of the aerial in the fin that the fin structure was wooden, to reduce interference?

It was John, but they could just as easily have used glassfiber. EE had a lot of joiners who had been working on Vampire production, not to mention all the tram and bus and railway work, so would was an obvious way to go. 

John

• Like 1

Ah yes, good point John.  I suppose glassfibre was a bit advanced for the days when the Canberra was designed, especially for structural use, whereas wood was well understood. Rather nice that our 'latest jet bomber' and some of our jet fighters still had woodwork involved. 

It took a long time for military aircraft and inded power aircraft generally to do much structurally with glassfibre; the gliding manufacturers used it extensively much earlier! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

It took a long time for military aircraft and inded power aircraft generally to do much structurally with glassfibre; the gliding manufacturers used it extensively much earlier! 

Not to go too far OT, but it depends on how forward-leaning the industry was, and my impression of the British aircraft industry is one of almost ritualistic conservatism, Comet I aside.  In the U.S., we used glass fibre as early as the F-86A in 1947, especially at the mouth of the engine intake, but elsewhere on the aircraft too.  This reverted to aluminum on subsequent versions.  Boeing constructed the non load-bearing, aerodynamic fuselage fillet for both the wing and tailplane on the 707 series from glass fibre, and the 707 was significant in its expansive use of glass fibre generally.

I wasn't aware of the use of glassfibre on the F-86 except at the intake, thanks for that. 

Interesting that Boeing used non-structural glassfibre so early and yet it did not spread significantly either in Boring or the industry generally for so long.

I agree about the conservatism of the construction and management sides of the British aircraft industry. Superb and imaginative design & engineering work by some, hugely held back by other old fashioned views and practices.  Despite that, the Canberra was a superb aircraft  -  perhaps because EE was relatively new to the aviation game. 

• Like 1

I've had a look through the AP's and a 1960 addition of the PR.9 pilots notes and here is no mention of Gee H The B.6 and PR.7 had it but nothing for the 9, I would say the fin was empty. I found this nice shot of her from around the right time? As for the GRP debate, I think EE Co would have been well capable of producing the fin covering in GRP as pointed out it wasn't a new process, and EE already had there own advanced plastics manufacturing plant at Warton which could have handled the job. 

lwU2CX.jpg

John

• Like 2

Ok, great picture! An unusual angle, very useful!

At the moment, it looks like I'll have to use my imagination to recreate the state XH175 was in after the thunderstorm. 
But at least I know by now what she looked like before....

• Like 1