Here's my Hobbycraft 1/72 Otter, built out of the box and finished as a Qantas aircraft using Hawkeye decals. First time using Hawkeye decals - loved them - and first time I built this kit. Nice little kit, shame it isn't in production any more. I built this for the Australia and NZ group build - build thread is here.

Qantas DHC-3 Otter

Qantas DHC-3 Otter

Qantas DHC-3 Otter

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 42

That’s just gorgeous Julian, very well modelled. I had no idea our Otters had orange upper wings, looks even better with that splash of bright colour on. I must get one of these kits, two thumbs up from me mate. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I had no idea our Otters had orange upper wings

Possibly because nearly all the photos of them seem to be in black and white! But I did find one colour photo online which confirmed it. 

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I wasn't aware that Qantas used this airframe

59 minutes ago, Michael51 said:

I was unaware of the QANTAS use of these aircraft,

Qantas didn't use them for very long - this one seems to have been with them for just over two years, 1958 to 1960, before being transferred to Trans Australia Airlines. Qantas used them for operations in Papua New Guinea, I think TAA did too. There was at least one floatplane as well. 

VH-EAZ is still flying - powered by a PT6 turboprop these days, and on floats - as C-FYLZ with Wabakimi Air in Northwestern Ontario. Now there's an idea for another build - VH-EAZ then and now - just need to find the floatplane boxing of the kit.

8 hours ago, thorfinn said:

Would love to see this a/c re-released (or even better, new-tooled); so many great liveries for some really eye-catching projects

Me too! It would be right up Dora Wings' street but I think I read recently that it's too big for them. It would be pretty consistent with Amodel's recent output as well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, zebra said:

Me too! It would be right up Dora Wings' street but I think I read recently that it's too big for them. It would be pretty consistent with Amodel's recent output as well.

You mentioned the TAA version...that's an old 'favorite' livery I've home-printed decals for, for a number of a/c types...and would love the chance to do it for the Otter!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

You mentioned the TAA version...that's an old 'favorite' livery I've home-printed decals for, for a number of a/c types...and would love the chance to do it for the Otter!

Hawkeye Models makes decals for the TAA version as well. I'm tempted by it too, but don't have another Otter in the stash, and if I did the idea of VH-EAZ then and now has really caught my attention.

• Like 2

Great looking build!

I bought the same decals one time, but still never got the kit to match.  🙄

I doubt I could've done it any better than yours though!

:clap2::thumbsup:

• Thanks 1