***RFI Posted*** "Strong and Faithful" - 233 Squadron, Their Dakotas and the Flying Nightingales.

31 minutes ago, Andwil said:

If you are planning on building Lou IV, make sure you check out @mark.au’s build on here, he has done some very interesting and persuasive work on interpreting the actual colours of this plane.  Plus his model is terrific.

AW

Thank you for the comment, very kind of you.  Unfortunately I somewhat thoughtlessly wrecked almost all of the image links in that WIP thread when I changed where most of the images were stored.  A condensed version of that WIP, including the images as well as my hypotheses on colour and marking choices can be found on my site at this link.  One day I'll go back into the WIP here and fix all the links.  One day.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:19 AM, mark.au said:

Thanks Chris, a good trip was had visiting my daughter.

Yes, once I’ve tried them myself to make sure I’ve done the artwork well enough.

We’re back from the trip now, I hope to get painting tomorrow.

Add me to the list as well if you do offer them up. I have not been aboard but have seen it several times at the museum. I also saw it do a JATO at an airshow in Toronto  in the early 70s.  I would love to build it!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Did you use the Maketar canopy masks to help ensure the invasion stripes were "true" throughout?

Nope, just Tamiya tape.  I measured off a total width of 40mm (5 x 8mm stripes) and painted the white first.  Then I cut 8mm strips and then masked off over the white, which I did by eye - the stripes weren't perfect on the real thing either - and then finally painted the two black stripes.  I used 2mm Tamiya tape for the edging where the wider parts would not conform to the curves without creasing.  The stripes aren't perfect on the fuselage, particularly on the port side but that will be covered by the open cargo door.  The wings were easier than the fuselage and I suppose they are actually quite close to symmetrical - again, much like the real thing.

8 hours ago, Tcoat said:

Add me to the list as well if you do offer them up. I have not been aboard but have seen it several times at the museum. I also saw it do a JATO at an airshow in Toronto  in the early 70s.  I would love to build it!

Will do, the proof is with the printer right now so hopefully they'll be printed in a week or so.

Edited by mark.au
Because my proof reading sucks?
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Nope, just Tamiya tape.  I measured off a total width of 40mm (5 x 8mm stripes) and painted that white.  Then cut 8mm strips and then masked off the white, which I did by eye - the stripes weren't perfect on the real thing either - and finally painted the black.  I used 2mm Tamiya tape for the edging where the wider parts would not conform to the curves without creasing.  The stripes aren't perfect on the fuselage, particularly on the port side but that will be covered by the open cargo door.  The wings were easier than the fuselage and I suppose they are actually quite close to symmetrical - again, much like the real thing.

Will do, the proof is with the printer right now so hopefully they'll be printed in a week or so.

This is why most decal stripes just don't look right. Thousands of planes were done by hand, in a real hurry by guys that would not want be doing the task. They would not be the perfectly even,  straight edged, uniform coloured, factory sprayed things that decals make them

c2f527e2354136261b75514ed5a3925e.jpg

c47hospital_live.jpg

representational+sloppy.jpg

No rush on my end. It will be a next winter project at best.

• Like 5

Well, I’m now stalled as I wait for the remaining decals to arrive.  I’ve added all the stencils, painted the remaining bits and pieces, and even begun a little of the weathering.  Hopefully the wait won’t be too much longer.  Question is, do I a start a little side project in the meantime...? 🤔

spacer.png

• Like 6

Looking good Mark,  hope you don't have to wait too long.

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

Question is, do I a start a little side project in the meantime...? 🤔

Of course !!! I do love a little side project.

Chris

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 8:39 AM, Tcoat said:

They would not be the perfectly even,  straight edged, uniform coloured, factory sprayed things that decals make them

Meant to add earlier but I got distracted, those stripes in the pics make mine look too damn straight!

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Of course !!! I do love a little side project

I may or may not have started tinkering with a Hobby Boss 1/48 Avenger... 😎

• Like 2

I'll create a new WIP for the Avenger but seeing as we're here, I'll throw in this update on it.  As is generally well known, the Hobby Boss Avenger has a few short comings to build an FAA airframe - which is what I'm building.  The most obvious of these is the observation windows in the fuselage being round on the FAA Tarpons vs rectangular on the USN Avengers.  Because it's so obvious, this has to be fixed (as does the Observer's cockpit, gun arrangement, etc. but that's for another post) and so with some trepidation I decided to tackle that this morning.  The composite image below shows the steps I followed, starting from the top left...

spacer.png

I found some clear thermoplastic packaging in the recycling and smash-moulded it over a suitable shape to create the raw shape for the window.  After marking out the cut line, I gradually whittled the window to size and when happy with the fit, set it aside.  I used some stretched sprue to create a ledge for the window to sit on in its space as this will aid in fixing it, and will also reduce the risk of it popping into the fuselage later when removing masking (or when attaching the window in the final stages of the build - I haven't decided on that yet).  With the ledge installed, I tried the fit again, on both sides this time and this is the result...

spacer.png

With a bath in Future/Pledge Shine these will become crystal-clear and certainly look the part.  I expect I'll attached them already masked prior to painting so that I can ensure a clean fit but it does seem clean enough already such that even if subsequently the window pops off, I'll be able to attach it later with a clean join anyway.

Still no decals for the Dakota...  If I go too far down the Tarpon path, I'll start another WIP thread.

Cheers and thanks for reading;

Mark.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 9

Excellent work on the smash moulding.

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

With a bath in Future/Pledge Shine these will become crystal-clear and certainly look the part.

I've recently invested in some Future (called 'Revive It' here) and am most impressed by the results. Haven't tried it as a gloss coat yet but must give it a go.

• Like 1

And we're back in business...

spacer.png

Huge thanks to @obermartin for sending me these.  

I realised today that I could have done a little more preparation inasmuch as I forgot to paint out the green in the D-Day stripes for the S/N on each side.  Furthermore, the Italeri decals are actually for the BBMF Dakota which while wearing FZ692's markings is actually ZA947, which is the S/N Italeri provided.  I'll apply those as individual numbers/letters from a generic sheet.

• Like 2

On 09/05/2021 at 12:38, mark.au said:

I'll create a new WIP for the Avenger but seeing as we're here, I'll throw in this update on it.  As is generally well known, the Hobby Boss Avenger has a few short comings to build an FAA airframe - which is what I'm building.  The most obvious of these is the observation windows in the fuselage being round on the FAA Tarpons vs rectangular on the USN Avengers.  Because it's so obvious, this has to be fixed (as does the Observer's cockpit, gun arrangement, etc. but that's for another post) and so with some trepidation I decided to tackle that this morning.  The composite image below shows the steps I followed, starting from the top left...

spacer.png

I found some clear thermoplastic packaging in the recycling and smash-moulded it over a suitable shape to create the raw shape for the window.  After marking out the cut line, I gradually whittled the window to size and when happy with the fit, set it aside.  I used some stretched sprue to create a ledge for the window to sit on in its space as this will aid in fixing it, and will also reduce the risk of it popping into the fuselage later when removing masking (or when attaching the window in the final stages of the build - I haven't decided on that yet).  With the ledge installed, I tried the fit again, on both sides this time and this is the result...

spacer.png

With a bath in Future/Pledge Shine these will become crystal-clear and certainly look the part.  I expect I'll attached them already masked prior to painting so that I can ensure a clean fit but it does seem clean enough already such that even if subsequently the window pops off, I'll be able to attach it later with a clean join anyway.

Still no decals for the Dakota...  If I go too far down the Tarpon path, I'll start another WIP thread.

Cheers and thanks for reading;

Mark.

Perfect tutorial for when I get to mine - thanks Mark!

• Like 1

I finished the decals but I forgot to take photos before flipping it on it’s back and beginning the finish.  I’ve added a wash to enhance the control surfaces and access panels, as well the the beginnings of the grime.  

spacer.png

Next, I added the little bits and pieces on the underside and finished the undercarriage.

spacer.png

Right now the undercarriage is setting up so I’m done for the day.  Next will be the underside weathering.  I’ll finish the underside completely and then flip it over to finish the uppers.  I reckon this one will be done in two or three more sessions.

• Like 8

And so, on to weathering.  FZ692 was delivered to the RAF in February 1944 and by June would have seen some wear and tear.  The decals from the Italeri kit kindly sent to me include the mission markings as on the aircraft in this photo;

spacer.png

These markings show two airborne drops, five air ambulance flights and six sundry cargo trips.  In reference to the Operations Records of 233 Squadron, this places the time of this photo in late July.  It couldn't have been much later than that as from August onwards the upper D-Day stripes would (should) have been covered.  The photo itself doesn't give too many clues as to the state of weathering but contemporary photos of Dakotas and C-47's show an accumulation of grime and paint wear and tear but not much in the way paint chipping or bleaching.  Interestingly, the rudder appears quite faded (which I replicated during painting) and there's something going on with the nose (which I didn't).  The paint work around the doors looks chipped but mine will be posed open so not visible one displayed.  

I assumed therefore that the airframe would show some dirt and grime from general use, that there'd be some oil and fluid staining around the engines and access panels, particularly on the underside, and exhaust staining would be restrained but in-ground so more of a discolouration to the paint than soot deposits such as on the Lancaster, for example.  I notice (as I write) that the exhaust was fitted with a flame suppressor, which I also didn't add...  Anyway, all that to say there's no special weathering required on this one, more just the typical stains and grime.  I also note that I'm much more comfortable in 1/48 scale weathering than 1/72 scale - I feel that in the smaller scale one must be much more restrained and suggest rather than replicate.

As is my normal routine, I applied an initial flat coat and then applied some crushed chalk first.  I wasn't happy at all with how that was going so I removed it and went to work with the airbrush instead and was much more satisfied with the result.  I am finding I do more and more weathering with the airbrush alone.  I did however use a dark wash to sort of dirty up the white in the D-Day stripes, simply painting it on and then removing it - there's no way to get white back to pristine once a dark wash has been slathered over it and it looks quite convincing when done.  This had the added benefit of also fading out the black to a more convincing used look.  With the weathering complete, I finished up with my own mix of Future, flat clear coat and Windex which to my eye gives a realistic painted-metal-like smoothness to the surface finish without being too shiny nor flat.  Hard to explain, but even dead flat painted metal is very smooth, which I am trying to replicate.

Here's how it turned out;

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next is the same process to the uppers.  There will be a little more wear and tear to the foot-trafficked areas around the fuel fillers, for example, but otherwise much the same process.  Not long to go on this one.

Cheers;

Mark.

• Like 12

Beautifully done.  Regarding the nose--it looks like someone replaced the upper portion of the nose with a lighter-toned replacement part on the aircraft in the photo.  Don't worry about it!  This is stellar work, especially on the restrained level of weathering.  No need to make this look like a junker!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

No need to make this look like a junker!

Not this version, but looking at pics of its contemporaries later on, when flying with 437 RCAF there’s a lot more scope for beating weathering it up when I build that version.

Topside weathering is done, I’ll add the last bits and pieces today and put up some rough and ready finish pics.

• Like 1

And that's a wrap.  The only thing I'm not happy with is the astrodome being off kilter.  I've tried to prise it lose to reset it but it's well glued and I think it'll cause too much damage to get it out.  It is what to is.  Otherwise though, I really enjoyed this one and am happy with how it turned out.  RFI coming soon, once I've taken the glamour pics and finished the accompanying article about the Flying Nightingales, those brave women who inspired this piece.

spacer.png

Cheers;

Mark.

• Like 7

• mark.au changed the title to ***RFI Posted*** "Strong and Faithful" - 233 Squadron, Their Dakotas and the Flying Nightingales.

Hello all;

After a week on the road - business travel is back - I got the chance to take the glamour pics and finish the piece.  The RFI  is posted.

spacer.png

Thanks for following along.  Next up, an FAA Avenger.

Cheers;

Mark.

Edited by mark.au
Clarity
  • Like 3