1/35 Tamiya British SAS Jeep

Hi Folks

I would like to start off and just say that I would not be doing this now (and would not be for quite some time in the future, for various reasons including the fact 'I didnt have one').  However, because of the kindness and generosity of Laurie Stewart (who's idea it was in the first place, to go alongside another recent build I have done for a diorama).  Im now really stuck in and enjoying every second, thanks again Laurie, hope you like the end result.

I think it is undeniable that Tamiya produce some of the best quality kits available and have done so for a long long time.  Ive included the front page of the instructions as although their kits are superb the way they word things sometimes I find very amusing.  If you have time to read I hope you find some of it as funny as I do 😂🤣.

36GZj8.jpg

VvEATg.jpg

9fZG0g.jpg

xED6Vm.jpg

5wG6FM.jpg

EJtpAw.jpg

7WMgi3.jpg

o8nGLG.jpg

T7835U.jpg

Next stage a bit of a clean up and then 😱😱 make it look like a well used vehicle, not like its just been unloaded off the ship straight from the factory. 

Thanks for looking and I will keep you updated

Take care and safe 

Si

• Like 8

You are welcome Si & look forward to your build.

Very nice start. Looks very much in the class of the Airfix Afghanistan Helmand series stuff.

Going like the devil Si you can now go to bed.

Laurie

3 hours ago, Stu123 said:

Hi Simon, I'll be watching your build with keen interest as I started this exact kit last night! 🙂

Stuart

Hi Stuart 

Dont think you will be disappointed, it's a great little kit👍 

I'm just preparing pics for an update on mine and will hopefully be posting them later.

Si 

Hi Folks

Just a few update pics.  Didn't realise I was so far behind on what Ive already sent.  So hopefully I will send another post a bit later which will bring me up to date of where I am right at this moment

MWWFGq.jpg

Not been really happy with both front and rear bumpers, think the originals which are attached to the chassis and not separate parts look too thick, even after a bit of a beat up.

9kwK3n.jpg

duDFmw.jpg

j8Nq1w.jpg

RAPmNo.jpg

Apologies for the appalling lack of attention on some o the words used in the pic below

tV8UpI.jpg

GSLhI6.jpg

Not all of the above pic parts as you can see are from the kit but will be all part of the final diorama. Seems quite a lot but wait until you see the next installment 😱

Will hopefully be back with that installment a bit later.

Take care 

Si

• Like 3

Ooh!

I’m an occasional builder of wingy things, but have always liked the SAS jeep ever since I read an article in the first Airfix annual and I will get round to building one one someday🤣

I’ll be cheering from the sides.

Trevor

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Ooh!

I’m an occasional builder of wingy things, but have always liked the SAS jeep ever since I read an article in the first Airfix annual and I will get round to building one one someday🤣

I’ll be cheering from the sides.

Trevor

Thank you Trevor much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

Hi Folks

Next installment as promised

BNbQOm.jpg

sPATFc.jpg

valKsX.jpg

aLdXQ0.jpg

JtEyog.jpg

q7erkC.jpg

0e2kCM.jpg

Last pic, again typo letters in words that shouldn't be there, sorry.  As I say not all of these parts are to go on the Jeep or come from that kit.  Some are for the other vehicle and the final diorama.

There are some 15-16 Jerry cans (there are three as one piece for the Jeep bonnet) and Ive just found another 3 😱

Well thats it, what you see here is where I am now and wont leave it for so long next time.  If there is anyway that you folks think I can improve this work in progress like better pics, less or more waffle etc please let me know.

Until next time

Take care & safe 

Si

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Folks

Next installment as promised

BNbQOm.jpg

sPATFc.jpg

valKsX.jpg

aLdXQ0.jpg

JtEyog.jpg

q7erkC.jpg

0e2kCM.jpg

Last pic, again typo letters in words that shouldn't be there, sorry.  As I say not all of these parts are to go on the Jeep or come from that kit.  Some are for the other vehicle and the final diorama.

There are some 15-16 Jerry cans (there are three as one piece for the Jeep bonnet) and Ive just found another 3 😱

Well thats it, what you see here is where I am now and wont leave it for so long next time.  If there is anyway that you folks think I can improve this work in progress like better pics, less or more waffle etc please let me know.

Until next time

Take care & safe 

Si

Busy busy. Wow good number of pieces there Si.

Nice work.

Laurie

37 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

I built this one a short while back. I chucked the M2 as soon as I saw it. The other guns are quite nice and it builds up into a nice little kit. 

Hi Vaastav, I'm going to have a crack at it but if it does end up in the bin I have plenty of other options. Will need to do a bit more research but I understand they even used MG34 & MG42's. Basically any weapon they could beg, steal or borrow.

Si

• Like 1

Hi Folks

Bit of an update.  A lot of the equipment is going to be used in the final diorama with the LRDG Chevy, they will also be toned down a lot with pigments near the final stages.  Quickly running out of weapons to fit to it as I broke two of the Vickers K's removing them from the sprue.  Will try and fix them.

7ptuD9.jpg 

GexKzk.jpg

XSvDuj.jpg

esDIxr.jpg

c0g2vj.jpg

Just deciding what to do with the condenser, leave as is or go with what seems on most I've seen to be the obligatory dent in it.

Will be back soon with another update.

Take care and safe

Si

• Like 8

Great work Si. Nice finished. You little master builder 😁

Think though you need more equipment. Certainly not enough there Si. 🤣😂🙄

What is this hairspray ?

Laurie

26 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Great work Si. Nice finished. You little master builder 😁

Think though you need more equipment. Certainly not enough there Si. 🤣😂🙄

What is this hairspray ?

Laurie

Thanks Mr. S. much appreciated

If I had any I could quite easily cope with more equipment🤣😂..............................as long as its not Jerry cans😱

Hairspray...will explain and hope not to bore you or anyone else.  

1. Primer, 2. Dark grey (the colour I want to show through), 3. Hairspray, 4. Top colour.  Within about 30 mins of the top colour being applied using different implements like cocktail sticks, cotton buds, a short stiff brush etc, soaked in water just poke and brush away until the dark grey shows through, the hairspray helps with this.  I have from the past used the likes of Vallejo & MIG products specifically for this purpose but not had much luck and have stuck with hairspray (smells nicer as well😂).

Its very effective as you will see when I do my next post.

Si

18 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Thanks Mr. S. much appreciated

If I had any I could quite easily cope with more equipment🤣😂..............................as long as its not Jerry cans😱

Hairspray...will explain and hope not to bore you or anyone else.  

1. Primer, 2. Dark grey (the colour I want to show through), 3. Hairspray, 4. Top colour.  Within about 30 mins of the top colour being applied using different implements like cocktail sticks, cotton buds, a short stiff brush etc, soaked in water just poke and brush away until the dark grey shows through, the hairspray helps with this.  I have from the past used the likes of Vallejo & MIG products specifically for this purpose but not had much luck and have stuck with hairspray (smells nicer as well😂).

Its very effective as you will see when I do my next post.

Si

Hi Si,

really wonderfull job...wowww...looking forward for the next steps !!!

Stay safe 

Paolo

7 minutes ago, Paolo Tarantino said:

Hi Si,

really wonderfull job...wowww...looking forward for the next steps !!!

Stay safe 

Paolo

Hi Paolo

Thank you, very much appreciated. I have run out of the desert sand and my local hobby store doesn't have any in stock😭. So my next post may be a bit dealayed.

You stay safe too

Si 

1 minute ago, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Paolo

Thank you, very much appreciated. I have run out of the desert sand and my local hobby store doesn't have any in stock😭. So my next post may be a bit dealayed.

You stay safe too

Si 

Ciao I'm also thinking how to proceed with the Chevrolet...in meantime I tested for the 1st time the snow with a Schimmwagen in Russia...take a look in the post if you want

Paolo

Hi Folks

So my latest update

On 4/30/2021 at 2:53 PM, Model Mate said:

Using hairspray and Tamiya paints, I've found I can leave the chipping for quite a while - up to 24 hours. I've heard of people having problems with other brands of paint though...

Dooogh my apologies Model Mate for not replying sooner, even worse I thought I had sent this earlier this afternoon but obviously not.  Thanks for the info, Ive also read that even at a very late stage you can use the Tamiya X-20A thinner which also works well apparently.

About to send an update now.

Apologies again

Si

Hi Folks

Just a wee update.  As I mentioned before I ran out of paint so decided to fill the gap with a minute bit of scratch building, which didnt last very long at all.  However, because of the lull it made me look at the jeep again more closely (for quite some time actually) and realised that perhaps Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow wasn't really the right colour, so switched to XF-57 Buff (that I did have), which I think now on reflection is a bit more appropriate. 

Still a long way to go but loving every minute.

All LRDG vehicles carried a theodolite of some sort, they were masters of desert survey, to make maps etc. etc.

Will probably use No.1 as its more recognisably a theodolite. Still a bit of highlighting/weathering to go and the addition of a plumb line.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

😱😱😱😱

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well thats it for now folks but will be back soon with another

Take care & safe

Si

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Jeep is 99% finished.  I say 99% because after I took the pictures I realised I hadn't fitted the cocking handle of the M2 50 cal or the sun dial, also think I need to do a bit more highlighting with panel line accent on a few bits. Also an overall matt clear coat.

I eventually ditched the kit M2 after trying several times to scratch build some of the poor quality detail bits, at least I tried.  My eldest daughter kindly got me the MiniArt U.S. Machine Gun Set as an early fathers day present, bless her.

This is a great little set and nicely detailed but also with its problems, mainly very very soft plastic.  See the below pics

I have kept this post going with what is in affect a completed kit (along with a few pics of the LRDG Chevi its going to be with).  My thought was to make the next stage the diorama build followed by the figures, until totally completed.  If this is not the right I should be doing it if somebody could advise please, thank you.

Few typo errors

spacer.png

So a new barrel it was

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And just to show how small some of the parts are, a little difficult sometimes when its PE and has to be bent into shape

spacer.png

99%

spacer.png

spacer.png

e2RulR.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

6xUKUJ.jpg

Mry1vf.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The base for the diorama should now be dry so will do a bit more and update soon

Thanks for looking

All the best, take care and safe

Si

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Folks

Jeep is 99% finished.  I say 99% because after I took the pictures I realised I hadn't fitted the cocking handle of the M2 50 cal or the sun dial, also think I need to do a bit more highlighting with panel line accent on a few bits. Also an overall matt clear coat.

I eventually ditched the kit M2 after trying several times to scratch build some of the poor quality detail bits, at least I tried.  My eldest daughter kindly got me the MiniArt U.S. Machine Gun Set as an early fathers day present, bless her.

This is a great little set and nicely detailed but also with its problems, mainly very very soft plastic.  See the below pics

I have kept this post going with what is in affect a completed kit (along with a few pics of the LRDG Chevi its going to be with).  My thought was to make the next stage the diorama build followed by the figures, until totally completed.  If this is not the right I should be doing it if somebody could advise please, thank you.

Few typo errors

spacer.png

So a new barrel it was

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And just to show how small some of the parts are, a little difficult sometimes when its PE and has to be bent into shape

spacer.png

99%

spacer.png

spacer.png

e2RulR.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

6xUKUJ.jpg

Mry1vf.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The base for the diorama should now be dry so will do a bit more and update soon

Thanks for looking

All the best, take care and safe

Si

Nice work with the MiniArt M2. I binned mine and jury rigged an MG42 I had lying around from another kit. I was surprised at it, given how I have made Tamiya's Russian vehicles and the DShK on them is quite good, despite being a harder gun to mold than the M2... 

Looking forward to seeing the dio