RCAF Lockheed Ventura GR-V Target Tug

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

That's a superb build and finish Chris,what a great scheme too 10/10 mate!

Wow thanks Steve, it's a lovely scheme and although yellow can be fun to paint it was really enjoyable.  

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

That must have been a fun masking session! Excellent build Chris👍

Thank you and very kind.  The masking was not too bad as used 2 sets of dividers one for the stripes and one for the spacing and it made it quite quick.  

Thanks guys for your kind comments. 

Chris

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow thank you Tony,  that really does mean a lot coming from a master modeller thank you, I am blown away.  I might well do that. I certainly love his decals thanks Tony.

Chris

LOL,... Mater Modeller my foot,.... and I know Terry would love to see it!

• Like 1

Wow! - wonderful work on your Venturer, Chris -

Absolutely love the yellow and black marking/colour scheme - really different.   The standard of your painting is outstanding and your black striping is extremely neat.

How did you do that using masking tape?  I find (I brush paint as well) if I use masking tape I end up with a distinct ridge on the painted finish.   I therefore use masking tape to draw a straight line with pencil then brush paint (without the tape) along the drawn line to get a clean finish.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Wow! - wonderful work on your Venturer, Chris -

Absolutely love the yellow and black marking/colour scheme - really different.   The standard of your painting is outstanding and your black striping is extremely neat.

How did you do that using masking tape?  I find (I brush paint as well) if I use masking tape I end up with a distinct ridge on the painted finish.   I therefore use masking tape to draw a straight line with pencil then brush paint (without the tape) along the drawn line to get a clean finish.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, very kind of you.  I used Tamiya masking tape and burnished it down well for what seemed like ages, I then used a thinned out humbrol satin black 85 but, take most of the paint off the brush to almost Drybrush the bit next to the tape then infill the centre with the normal thinned paint. Leave to dry for at least 12 to 24 hrs then do the same again.   Once the two thinned edges are done I pull the tape off and hand paint almost to the edges, similar to your method but the ridge is very minor and when the coats of klear and after decalling  the satin varnish go on then there is pretty much a level paint surface.  The black always is a very stark contrast too and this helps hide any bits that might have got away!!!

Thanks Dave

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris,

this scheme looks nothing short of spectacular. I've always liked the yellow/black striped target tugs (remind me of angry wasps) but did not know that there were Venturas painted like that.

Furthermore, I'm really impressed about the flawless finish you've achieved, especially the sharp edges of the black stripes. In fact, your WIP has finally pushed me over the edge to have a go at brush painting again. Since I'm living in a small flat without a proper paint booth, ventilation in winter is a big problem which keeps me from using my airbrush (and I dislike cleaning it up, especially for small jobs). Brush painting seems to be a solution for this problem.

Seeing what kind of finish can be achieved on such a large kit with one of the hardest colours to brush I will try to add that skill to my portfolio.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mick b said:

Excellent result Chris, superb finish after some serious masking! You should be delighted with how it’s turned out 👍

Painting yellow propeller tips alone does my head 😂

Mike

Thanks Mike , very kind , yes I am very pleased with the way it turned out.   I had always worried about painting yellow by brush but this definitely has put that to rest. I used to feel the same about painting the prop tips too.

5 hours ago, F-32 said:

That's superb, great addition to any collection :clap:

Thanks F-32, very kind.

1 hour ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Chris,

this scheme looks nothing short of spectacular. I've always liked the yellow/black striped target tugs (remind me of angry wasps) but did not know that there were Venturas painted like that.

Furthermore, I'm really impressed about the flawless finish you've achieved, especially the sharp edges of the black stripes. In fact, your WIP has finally pushed me over the edge to have a go at brush painting again. Since I'm living in a small flat without a proper paint booth, ventilation in winter is a big problem which keeps me from using my airbrush (and I dislike cleaning it up, especially for small jobs). Brush painting seems to be a solution for this problem.

Seeing what kind of finish can be achieved on such a large kit with one of the hardest colours to brush I will try to add that skill to my portfolio.

Cheers

Markus

Wow thank you Markus for your very generous comments.   I am very pleased to think it has inspired someone to have a go.  I never got into airbrushing due to the locations of my work bench and even though I have been lucky enough to now have a mancave to model in after a lot of hard work I find brush painting relaxing and any problems just melt away.  Thin the paint slightly and you will not go far wrong.  There are quite a few of us brushpainters still out there. Good luck with your builds.  

Chris

18 minutes ago, hopkp said:

Beautiful job. I'm always in awe of those who can achieve results like that with brush painting, which is a skill I simply don't have!

Thank you very much.  I am also in awe of those who can airbrush too, it would scare me spraying something so small.   I have built a couple of cars and sprayed them but a small aircraft, crikey!!! The brushwork is not as hard as you think,I can assure you.

Thanks everyone I am really blown away with everyone's kind comments. .

Chris

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Fantastic result - well done!

Iain

Thanks Iain, very kind .  Very nice kit to build.

5 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Outstanding Chris!!!!!! :clap2:

Mike

Thanks Mike, very pleased with ghe way it turned out.

Chris

17 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Oh yes.

That's  the goods alright.

Exceptional work Chris - what  a result!

Thanks Tony,  despite my initial worry over brush painting a large yellow aircraft it was very enjoyable  and am very pleased with the result. Thanks fella. 

Chris

• Like 2

Thanks Davey, that is really kind.  I was worried about painting the yellow but it worked out well in the end.  I am sure you would be able do better.  Wow wouldn't it be good to get paid for modelling !!!

Thanks

Chris

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Davey, that is really kind.  I was worried about painting the yellow but it worked out well in the end.  I am sure you would be able do better.  Wow wouldn't it be good to get paid for modelling !!!

Thanks

Chris

After having another look at this I doubt very much I could do better, I don't have the patience to fettle my sometimes rushed assembly!

It would be good to get paid for modelling but mine would be peace work, quantity not quality 🤣

Davey.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

After having another look at this I doubt very much I could do better, I don't have the patience to fettle my sometimes rushed assembly!

It would be good to get paid for modelling but mine would be peace work, quantity not quality 🤣

Davey.

Thanks Davey, I know what you mean, I did feel like rushing at the end as there are so many kits and so little time and my pace is somewhat glacial anyway, so would definitely be no good at  peace work .  Oh well better stick at my current job then !!!

Chris

• Like 1

Well done Chris, that’s turned out wonderfully well and the great photos highlight the nice crisp build, faultless paint job and excellent attention to detail. I believe every modelling cabinet deserves at least one brightly painted Target Tug.. and your Ventura is certainly one fantastic head turner. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave  

That is beautiful Chris!   What a fantastic scale model sir. :clap2: My hat's off for sure.  I was a residential/commercial painter for years and brushing enamel was a specialty of mine.   On wood trim and doors, I can make it look like it was dipped in paint. 😉   But, your level of skill with a paintbrush is just off the charts!  I'm afraid I would never have the courage or ability to brush a scale model plane like you've (and others here too) have done.    And as mentioned, your masking work is exemplary as well.  Many kudos to you dude! :worthy: