Alternative to Humbrol enamel 85, Coal Black Satin.

BobCNutt

Most places I've looked are out of stock. 

Would matt black with a drop of silver be a reasonable approximation?

85 is specified for tyres, instrument panels, radial engine components and pilot's boots... in the 1:72 Airfix Bristol Beaufort I'm building. 

Are there better, more realistic treatments for these parts? 

Thanks in advance. 

14 minutes ago, BobCNutt said:

85 is specified for tyres, instrument panels, radial engine components and pilot's boots... in the 1:72 Airfix Bristol Beaufort I'm building. 

Thanks in advance. 

85 is a silk black. 

Adding silver to a black will give you a shade of gunmetal - that might be ok for the engine parts

Use 33 matt black and gloss varnish or 21 gloss black with a matt varnish

But for tyres and men's boots I use Tamiya Rubber Black

Or Revell 09 Anthracite - but with that I've found some pots are almost black and some are more a dark grey

• Like 1

Vallejo has a pair of rubber shades in their Panzer Aces range.  306 Dark Rubber and 305 Light Rubber, so you can make any shade in between, because if you look at any tyre it sure as heck ain't black :smartass:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

I’ve been adding pink to my Humbrol black for many years, white will just make it go grey where as pink lowers it’s tone, it’s an armour modellers trick.   😉

Is that for tyres and other rubber parts, Amos? 

PS - your old place at The Woolpack, in Esholt, is just down the road from me. 

12 hours ago, BobCNutt said:

Thanks in advance. 

G'day Bob,

If you just want a semi-gloss black then Tamiya semi gliss black is rradily available and is water soluble (but also available in enamel) or youcould apply a satin coat over matt black. I would not use straight black for tyres but instead use either rubber black or NATO black as this gives a very very dark grey which looks better  in my opinion.  The Airfix colour call out will always be biased towards Humbrol but there are better choices available. I also  think the colour suggestions may be somewhat simplified which may be appropriate for 1/72 scale depending on how fastidious you want to be,

Pappy

• Like 1

Hi everyone.      My version of a lighter black - it’s been mostly used on tanks for the rubber wheel rims. But, say, for a Hawker Hunter cockpit I’d use the pink/black for the cockpit inner structure and pure black with a sheen for the ejection seat.   As shown in Vulcanisity’s Shackleton  build, I wanted the anti-glare pane to be more sympathetic to the worn dark grey camouflage, it looks black with a hint of fadedness  with pure black for the panel lines.    Hope this helps.    😉

• Like 1

For tyres I've stolen @Heather Kay's tip and now use Humbrol 32 - it looks spot on to me!

As for the other colour variations, 85 is a solid black with a satin finish. I wouldn't add any other colours to it, as that will change the shade... If you have any satin varnish, any version of black should suffice - just apply the satin varnish over it once painted.

• Like 2

• Greg B locked and unlocked this topic

Humbrol 85 is a semi-gloss black. Whit I have done in the past is to use flat black and when fully dry, I would rub a finger over my forehead or the side of my nose, to pick up a bit of skin oil that collects on those places. Then I would lightly rub the finger over the flat black. It will put a bit of a shine on it, but not too much.

Chris

On 4/16/2021 at 8:10 PM, amos brierley said:

I’ve been adding pink to my Humbrol black for many years, white will just make it go grey where as pink lowers it’s tone, it’s an armour modellers trick.   😉

The term tone has recognised meaning in correlating to Light Reflectance Value. Adding anything lighter than black to black raises its tone, not lowers it.

Adding white to black makes a neutral grey. Adding pink to black makes a red-leaning grey.

• Like 2