Vacuform GB -A Journey into the Dark Arts 30 and Counting!

LorenSharp

This might be a dumb question, but I was trying to search through the site about doing just a Vacuform GB. The closest I've found by round about fashion may have been on either proposed, or started, waaaaay back in 2008.  I don't if anyone would be interested in such an endeavour, it kinda scares the beejeezus out of most folks when mentioned, and some have compared it to learning the "dark arts". So I guess if something like this hasn't been done in a while would there be enough interest in it to try and propose. I've never organized a GB before, but thought it might be worth a try. Besides it would keep me off the streets 😜 Thanks in advance for any help or howling screams of anguish.

1.@LorenSharp

2.  @ColonelKrypton

3.  @Corsairfoxfouruncle

4.  @JOCKNEY

5.  @dnl42

6.  @tomprobert

7.   @Ray S

8.   @theplasticsurgeon

9.   @TonyW

10.  @Rob S

11.  @Heather Kay

12.  @Jb65rams

13.  @Mr T

14.  @CliffB

15.  @malpaso

16.  @Jinxman

17.  @Toryu

18.  @Pin

19.  @TonyTiger66

20. @Angus Tura

21. @Paul821

22. @John Thompson

23. @zebra

24. @Mjwomack

25. @Black Knight

26. @Paul Thompson

27.   @galgos

28.   @bigbadbadge
29.  @stevehnz

30.      @psdavidson

31.  @AdrianMF

• Like 4

Well I would be interested as I’ve never even touched a vacuform, I don't even know if I can find one. If I can please count me in pending finding a kit. 

looking good I may have a kit on the way soon enough. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

That one I'm already in, and probably will do a second model in vac form here in a week or so. But it was that GB that got me thinking about just a strictly Vac only build. Something of a different  perspective as such that you don't see much. But to be honest I don't know the first thing about properly proposing or even setting one up. My question was more of a "run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes it"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LorenSharp said:

That one I'm already in, and probably will do a second model in vac form here in a week or so. But it was that GB that got me thinking about just a strictly Vac only build. Something of a different  perspective as such that you don't see much. But to be honest I don't know the first thing about properly proposing or even setting one up. My question was more of a "run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes it"

Well you pretty much figured it out thats all it takes. 

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

1 hour ago, GrahamCC said:

I would be up for it.

cheers, Graham

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well then, I shall start the list forthwith and add everyones name . Thanks for joining in on this Quixotic Adventure. May God have mercy on our crazy Souls. Forward! Into the Fog!

• Like 1

Just now, dnl42 said:

I'm in! The "Anything But..." GB allowed me to choose resin.

The stash has a 1/48 Midget Mustang, 1/48 N9M, 1/144 Dart Dakota, and 1/144 Canberra

Added Sir

• Thanks 1

• LorenSharp changed the title to Vacuform GB -A Journey into the Dark Arts

Well since I seem to have struck a resonant chord here, I changed the name of the thread. For me after building my first vac the terror of vacs went away. I've found some are good, some not so much, but all fun and with the exception of grabbing a piece of wood then shaving it and sanding it into what you want, it's about as back to basics as you can get. And when compared to injection kits, no matter what the subject, just as easy. As far as I'm concerned, if its a Vacuform kit, doesn't matter if its got premade extras or you want to go totally Au natural and make it yourself and I don't want to limit it to just planes, I have seen other subject areas done as well like maritime. Just no more than 25% completed and I'm not counting the separating the plastic or sanding edges part of that. because I know( three guesses and the first two don't count whos guilty of this)  many of us have trimmed and sanded and then said ahhhh... maybe I'll get back to this maybe later. But be warned, Vacs can be addictive once you've had a taste of the dark side you may have a hard time going back.

• Like 2

You can count me in with this please, I have vacforms in the stash, even not counting the ones I want to do for various Group Builds this year already. The ones left are:

Esoteric Grumman Guardian

Esoteric Boulton Paul Sidestrand/Overstrand

Esoteric Fairey IIID

Joystick Avro Bison

And before Enzo pipes up, no, I will not do them all!

I hope this gets through the Bunfight, it should produce a great range of subjects.

Ray

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For @LorenSharp's information, there was a VacForm GB in 2009. 

I was there building this Meteor F8, my first ever Vac.

Rareplane-Meteor-F8.jpg

Of all the starters, only 6 completions - so a very high attrition rate.

I'm in the current Anything but Injection GB with my second Vac - North American AJ-2P Savage.

And my final vac build - Rareplane Skywarrior.

Sorry - no other eligable kits remain in my stash, and no plans to ever buy another VacForm.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
LorenSharp
  • Like 2

I'll be happy to take part. As usual, no idea what with, but I have a few contenders that fit the bill.

I've also got a Rareplanes Savage currently under way.

Vac forms seem to have a bit of a following, I think you are on to something here.

Tony.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

I have a Contrail Saro Lerwick. I do want to build it one day, but vacform does give me pause.

So, sign me up, please. I may well feel ready for it by the time this proposed GB makes it to the bun fight.

I'd like to suggest a big part of the GB should be aimed at giving a helping hand, good tutorial stuff, tips, techniques and so on. That was sort of my intention when I proposed a multi-wing GB last year - to help folk get over the "that’s too difficult, I can’t do it" hump and feel happy about taking such things on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

I have a Contrail Saro Lerwick. I do want to build it one day, but vacform does give me pause.

So, sign me up, please. I may well feel ready for it by the time this proposed GB makes it to the bun fight.

I'd like to suggest a big part of the GB should be aimed at giving a helping hand, good tutorial stuff, tips, techniques and so on. That was sort of my intention when I proposed a multi-wing GB last year - to help folk get over the "that’s too difficult, I can’t do it" hump and feel happy about taking such things on.

Thanks Heather,That was my thoughts as well, with building assistance, tips and ideas to make the idea of building a vac less terrifying. And I''ll add you to the list

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I’ve always got a vac (or three!) on the go at any one time so I’d be keen to participate in this GB. 

3 hours ago, Ray S said:

You can count me in with this please, I have vacforms in the stash, even not counting the ones I want to do for various Group Builds this year already. The ones left are:

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

For LorenSharp's information, there was a VacForm GB in 2009. 

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

I'll be happy to take part. As usual, no idea what with, but I have a few contenders that fit the bill.

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Sign me up as I have a Welsh 1:144 Shorts Belfast that has been waiting to be built since buying it at Hannants Lowestoft shop when we visited in 2005.  

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Thank you Gentlemen and Lady for your support. You are hereby added to the list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

I've also got a Rareplanes Savage currently under way.

Vac forms seem to have a bit of a following, I think you are on to something here.

Tony.

Tony.

Yes I am surprised with the amount of positive feedback so far. What started out as a jumbled thought problem and query has started to turn into a snowball. Its going to be fun to see how this progresses.

3 hours ago, Ray S said:

Esoteric Grumman Guardian

Esoteric Boulton Paul Sidestrand/Overstrand

Esoteric Fairey IIID

Joystick Avro Bison

And before Enzo pipes up, no, I will not do them all!

I hope this gets through the Bunfight, it should produce a great range of subjects.

Ray

Ray depending on how long it goes for, I say build as many as you want. I made the mistake of actually going over my stash list and discovered I had 39 vacs of various types and 3 conversions.. that not only surprised me but shocked me to my heels.

I thought at most I had about a dozen.. So I should be able to find at least one to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

For LorenSharp's information, there was a VacForm GB in 2009. 

Rareplane-Meteor-F8.jpg

Of all the starters, only 6 completions - so a very high attrition rate.

I'm in the current Anything but Injection GB with my second Vac - North American AJ-2P Savage.

I'm suprised that only one true vac GB had been done since then. To paraphrase "Young Frankenstieen" A Vac GB is a terrifying thing.... And its about time we had one! and an excellent job on the Meteor BTW.  I've got the Combat Models AJ-1 sitting near wanting to be built but I think I'll go with something smaller first.

3 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Add me to the list please, have a number of FAA interwar aircraft in the stash. Although not sure a biplane is the best thing to start with!

Added Sir.

Still got quite a few vacforms in the stash, so add me in please. The AW Atlas, Hendon, or Sopwith Cuckoo are tempting amongst others. 

• Like 1