Vacuform GB -A Journey into the Dark Arts 30 and Counting!

LorenSharp

Please add me to the list - vacuforms hold a certain grim fascination, like watching a hungry tiger pacing back and forth in its cage while it stares at you...

Is it too soon to discuss rules, especially in the context of parts substitution from injected kits or aftermarket? I have relics from the days when vacuforms were the only way to get a model of certain subjects, but the idea of using vac landing gear or wing struts, or propellers, seems a bit hair-shirt to me. I assume scratch-building such things would be okay?

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Please add me to the list - vacuforms hold a certain grim fascination, like watching a hungry tiger pacing back and forth in its cage while it stares at you...

Is it too soon to discuss rules, especially in the context of parts substitution from injected kits or aftermarket? I have relics from the days when vacuforms were the only way to get a model of certain subjects, but the idea of using vac landing gear or wing struts, or propellers, seems a bit hair-shirt to me. I assume scratch-building such things would be okay?

John

You are added Sir! Its never too early to talk about rules.  My thoughts were to follow the precedent of the  Vac GB done back in 2009. Whole vacuform kits ,including resin, white metal, and other accessories along with Vacuform Conversions as long as the kit is at least 40% Vacuform to qualify. The only addition would be with the advent of 3D printing parts or even a partial model, Again the model should be at least 40% Vacuform to qualify. If you want to go"old school" and create your own Vac subject from plastic that you Vac yourself. Go for it. I for one would like to see a subject truly done from scratch from solid master through to the final build and completion.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Loren - that sounds relatively easy. I was expecting something on the order of 80 or even 90%; 40% sounds to me like wings, fuselage, and tailplanes, and you're G2G. Right now I'm thinking of a 1/72 Rareplanes Fairey Fulmar with scratch-built cockpit and landing gear copied from the injection-molded Vista/Revell Fulmar, but it's early days yet - I've also got a couple of Prop&Jet vacs of Russian subjects that are very tempting!

John

56 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

You are added Sir! Its never too early to talk about rules.  My thoughts were to follow the precedent of the  Vac GB done back in 2009. Whole vacuform kits ,including resin, white metal, and other accessories along with Vacuform Conversions as long as the kit is at least 40% Vacuform to qualify. The only addition would be with the advent of 3D printing parts or even a partial model, Again the model should be at least 40% Vacuform to qualify. If you want to go"old school" and create your own Vac subject from plastic that you Vac yourself. Go for it. I for one would like to see a subject truly done from scratch from solid master through to the final build and completion.

Well thats good, I have an 1/72 Eagle talon Ki.32 on its way. I was hoping to use either a Val or Kates interior and the if possible the Val’s spats and landing gear. Maybe even the prop if it works ? 

46 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats good, I have an 1/72 Eagle talon Ki.32 on its way. I was hoping to use either a Val or Kates interior and the if possible the Val’s spats and landing gear. Maybe even the prop if it works ? 

The Kates interior would probably be the closest. The Vals spats might need a "slimming" I'm thinking they were a tad thicker and a bit longer than the Mary's. But definitely a staring point.

• Thanks 1

I've never seen one of these in the 'flesh'

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/product&path=208_218&product_id=4993&sort=p.price&order=ASC 

but I'd have thought they were more than 40% vac-form by volume if not parts count- would it be admissible? I have no need of one on my model railway but have long fancied a crack at one. 

On 7/7/2021 at 5:05 AM, Mjwomack said:

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/product&path=208_218&product_id=4993&sort=p.price&order=ASC 

but I'd have thought they were more than 40% vac-form by volume if not parts count- would it be admissible? I have no need of one on my model railway but have long fancied a crack at one. 

If they're at least 40% Vacuform I can't see why not. I did send an inquiry to Langley Models asking what materials the models were made of, aside from what was listed. Haven't heard anything back from them yet though.

On 7/7/2021 at 5:05 AM, Mjwomack said:

Finally heard back from Langley models. Their kits would qualify, mostly Vac with brass details:yahoo:

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 4:25 PM, LorenSharp said:

Their kits would qualify, mostly Vac with brass details

To follow Oscar Wilde, the one thing I can't resist is temptation; add me to the list, please!😁

Well with @Mjwomack's addition to the list in the # 24 slot, I figure its about time to come up with an appropriate Sign warning  letting people know what awaits awaits them upon entry. So I stole appropriated this image from @alt-92 and modified it just a little....

51311796914_849e35e115_z.jpg

Now 6 more victims entrants  and we can commence with the bunfighting.:boxing:

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

I saw your message in the other thread

I didn't know this was on the go.

You can add my name too please

I have several vac kits. I've not built them out of fear but just because I've been too lazy to do them

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I saw your message in the other thread

I didn't know this was on the go.

You can add my name too please

I have several vac kits. I've not built them out of fear but just because I've been too lazy to do them

You are definitely added Sir. Welcome aboard!

As regards using injection moulded kit bits, this was usually suggested on the instruction sheets of Rareplanes and Airmodels kits, at the very least (props, wheels, struts, guns, basically anything the vac process was poor at producing useable parts of). So I'd have thought that was allowable these days, but taking advantage of the cottage industry bits that sprang up for this very reason, i.e. to give an alternative to buying say an Airfix DH4 just for the Lewis gun - enter Aeroclub et al.

Another thing, there are some Blue Rider kits of things like the Bleriot XI and some WW1 pushers where the fuselage framework or booms are supplied as PE contraptions. I suspect they'd constitute up to half the finished model, or more if you count in white metal props and engines in the kit. So would these be allowable?

Paul.

4 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

As prompted in the 'hello hello hello, wot's all this vacform stuff then' thread, I'd like to join in. It's been years since I took part in a group build (and never on this forum).

Paul.

You are added Sir Welcome to this motley crew of brigands:innocent:

4 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

As regards using injection moulded kit bits, this was usually suggested on the instruction sheets of Rareplanes and Airmodels kits, at the very least (props, wheels, struts, guns, basically anything the vac process was poor at producing useable parts of). So I'd have thought that was allowable these days, but taking advantage of the cottage industry bits that sprang up for this very reason, i.e. to give an alternative to buying say an Airfix DH4 just for the Lewis gun - enter Aeroclub et al.

Another thing, there are some Blue Rider kits of things like the Bleriot XI and some WW1 pushers where the fuselage framework or booms are supplied as PE contraptions. I suspect they'd constitute up to half the finished model, or more if you count in white metal props and engines in the kit. So would these be allowable?

Paul.

I would think they would be allowable. 

1 minute ago, LorenSharp said:

You are added Sir Welcome to this motley crew of brigands:innocent:

Thank you. Does that mean I can use Sir Welcome as an official title?

Anyway, that's me sorted for the evening - stash sorting until I find the right candidate.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

Thank you. Does that mean I can use Sir Welcome as an official title?

Anyway, that's me sorted for the evening - stash sorting until I find the right candidate.

Paul.

Not sure I am qualified to be presenting titles at the moment as I've misplaced my sword, but if you wish to use that title I don't have a problem with it:shrug:My self I prefer the title of Sir Loin of Beef or Earl of Worchastershestershastershire.:fool:

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

Not sure I am qualified to be presenting titles at the moment as I've misplaced my sword, but if you wish to use that title I don't have a problem with it:shrug:My self I prefer the title of Sir Loin of Beef or Earl of Worchastershestershastershire.:fool:

Just so long as can use it with my bank manager...............

Paul.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

OK, I'm tempted to join in, I could do either the Echelon Lightning or Hunter, probably the latter because I'm nearing the end of my first Lightning but these are in 1/32 scale, and to be perfectly honest I always feel like a bit of a pariah in what seems to be a predominantly 1/72 or 1/48 orientated site. 

Max

The more the merrier Max. Size aint nothin but a number. 1/32 might even be easier to manage than the smaller scales with a vac. Definitely allows room for "esperimenting" So go ahead and join. You know you want to.:devil: