Vacuform GB -A Journey into the Dark Arts 30 and Counting!

LorenSharp

11 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Probably, unless I can get 3 more people to be considered for this years bunfight. But you are added none the less. Welcome aboard Sir!

I've mentioned the possible GB to a friend so he may be along soon, 🤞.

Could I stick my name down for this one, I am just trying my first vacform, well it is an Aeroclub Anson so vacform fuselage and I have cut out the fuselage halves and am drilling out the windows  so think I might have a small amount of experience when this starts.

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 1

\

No worries you are added Sir. Welcome aboard. Nice thing is there are all kinds of people here who know their Vacs. If you have a question or a problem Holler it out.

• Thanks 1

• LorenSharp changed the title to Vacuform GB -A Journey into the Dark Arts 28 and Counting!
38 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

\

No worries you are added Sir. Welcome aboard. Nice thing is there are all kinds of people here who know their Vacs. If you have a question or a problem Holler it out.

Thank you, I might well need to tap into that collective knowledge!!!

Chris

• LorenSharp changed the title to Vacuform GB -A Journey into the Dark Arts 30 and Counting!
1 hour ago, psdavidson said:

OK, I'll regret this even more than my first ever post on this forum, signing up for a GB.

Never done a vacform before but for some reason I've been thinking about it recently.

Sign me up please.

No worries You've been signed up Sir! You won't regret it You'll have too much fun😜 And you've become the 30th member to sign their Souls names on the bottom line. Now I have to inquire on what to do next. Hopefully @Enzo Matrix can give me some assistance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psdavidson said:

OK, I'll regret this even more than my first ever post on this forum, signing up for a GB.

Never done a vacform before but for some reason I've been thinking about it recently.

Sign me up please.

That makes two of us sir, I even went and bought one to make sure I cant back out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Yeah! Into the bunfight. Exciting times. What with this and the not my comfort zone proposal I could really scare myself next year

So what happens in "the bunfight", is it pistols at dawn with one's second standing by with bandages and tourniquets....or something slightly more civilised?

Max

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, galgos said:

So what happens in "the bunfight", is it pistols at dawn with one's second standing by with bandages and tourniquets....or something slightly more civilised?

Max

No nothing that exciting, well at least early on. Come November 1st every member has the chance to vote for up to 4 each of standard and single type group builds. The top 7 of each will get a slot next year. Early on its pretty boring like electing gov’t officials. But as things tighten up the hosts that have proposed the builds start to get into cheerleading mode. They try to secure more votes so it can get interesting and fun to watch. There is usually a running joke stream of people telling jokes and funny stories also. Then when voting is done the hosts snd Enzo Matrix sort out the dates and there is a lot of behind the scenes deal making for calendar allotments. 

• Like 4

Vote early, vote often is my slogan!

Actually you can, it's a case of your latest vote overwrites previous ones. This is where a lot of the jumping of horses takes place later on and the votes change even though no new people have voted. 

It's the highlight of my year (I know I really should get out more, it's bee a long couple of years!).

A word of caution (which I always ignore) - I've  a sub-stash of kits for GBs that don't actually get through the bunfight- it can be gruesome and it can be expensive in there!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 4:10 PM, Mjwomack said:

Actually you can, it's a case of your latest vote overwrites previous ones. This is where a lot of the jumping of horses takes place later on and the votes change even though no new people have voted. 

Thanks for explaining this.

I have wondered how the votes move with no new voters so now we know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Thanks for explaining this.

I have wondered how the votes move with no new voters so now we know.

No doubt you've seen how tactical it all gets; generally the front runners loose votes because they're perceived as being able to spare them and the no-hopers loose what few they've got because, well I guess they're no hopers and a lot of chopping and chasing happens in the muddled middle!

• Like 1

So what number of votes is typically needed to get the GB over the line, or is that an impossible question to answer?  "Bunfights" never used to happen when I was a regular visitor (and former GB host!) to Britmodeller so this is all unknown and new to me I'm afraid.

Max

GBs have had a pretty big influx over the past couple years.  There is no set number, as it's all going to be dependent on how many voters participate.  The past couple years I think low 40s ended up being the cut...I'd have to go try digging back through last years posts though to confirm.  There is no guarantee though, lots of great subject potentials this year.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, galgos said:

So what number of votes is typically needed to get the GB over the line, or is that an impossible question to answer?  . . . 

Hard to answer. How long is a piece of string sort of thing.

In the recent bun-fights, afair, it was over 60 votes guaranteed a place, between 45 and 60 its was dodgy, under 45 and you looked to return to the next bun-fight

I usually start my voting by placing in the ones I really want to win through. Then in the final days I start my tactical voting

• Thanks 1

Well I’m amazed and pleased to see this one into the bunfight. 

I have no problems with vacforming opaque plastic but I now have to figure out how to successfully vacuum  form clear plastic, any hints tips tutorials.

resized_dd2c6910-5833-4168-8e87-0d6c9948
My AHRLAC

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Well I’m amazed and pleased to see this one into the bunfight. 

I have no problems with vacforming opaque plastic but I now have to figure out how to successfully vacuum  form clear plastic, any hints tips tutorials.

resized_dd2c6910-5833-4168-8e87-0d6c9948
My AHRLAC

The only advice I can give on clear vacs Marklo, is make sure the master is perfectly smooth. Clear seems to show more mistakes(like painting sliver or applying foil) than opaque plastic.