IDF colours

Steben

Hi guys,

I'm looking for the references / codes / directives for IDF colours.

I've seen (as usual) contradictory information on the net, I've seen Federal Standard numbers popping up like FS30372 (early sand grey) and FS36134 (early 80ties really "grey grey") and I've seen model paint companies interpretations.
Anyone who can give some advice on literature or research topics?

Not talking about modelling here, but sure is linked.

The IDF Modelling link probably won't work if you're not a member of that site.  Joining isn't easy.

I asked exactly the same question on the Facebook IDF SIG recently.  Michael Mass and Robert Manasherob are both in that group.  More specifically I asked which of the various paint brands was considered most "accurate" Sinai Grey (Not Sand Grey) for each of the eras.

I didn't get an answer from either of these people, at least not so far.  But the consensus of the responses was that there is nothing to choose between the brands as the real colours varied anyway and weathered differently.

1 hour ago, Das Abteilung said:

The IDF Modelling link probably won't work if you're not a member of that site.  Joining isn't easy.

I asked exactly the same question on the Facebook IDF SIG recently.  Michael Mass and Robert Manasherob are both in that group.  More specifically I asked which of the various paint brands was considered most "accurate" Sinai Grey (Not Sand Grey) for each of the eras.

I didn't get an answer from either of these people, at least not so far.  But the consensus of the responses was that there is nothing to choose between the brands as the real colours varied anyway and weathered differently.

Yes, that forum is a bit sleepy....

I' mailing with Michael Mass now.
I'll keep you guys posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Found a guy who painted a 1/16 M51 with a combination of tamiya desert yellow and buff. A much higher chroma combo in theory than the ubiquitous buff+grey mix.
Pictures seem very alike though! :) 

attachment.php?attachmentid=2181253
attachment.php?attachmentid=2181254

Edited by Steben