Cheap (very) and cheerful Photo background.

TonyW

The hints and tips thread at the bottom of the page seems a bit forgotten, so I though I would post this here as I've used car models to show the method.

Nothing fancy, but it works for me.

Take a piece of A2 or larger coloured craft paper. Bend it against a wall and take your pictures of whatever subject suits. That's it.

It really can't get much simpler.

20210415-134244.jpg

20210415-134423.jpg

Here's a few cropped pictures to show the results. No added lighting, just overhead daylight from the roof light in my shed. Pictures were taken on a mobile phone.

20210415-121509.jpg

20210415-121537.jpg

20210415-121617.jpg

• Like 18

The A2 I'm using is OK for a 1.25 scale car. I'll be needing bigger paper if I want to group models together or add the kit box for instance.

It doesn't take long before you convince yourself you need a full photo studio though. A2 will do for now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used a light box from Amazon until recently but wasn't keen on the way the fabric came out in the photo - fine if you're taking pictures of jewellery and crap like that, not so good for models. Last couple of shots I've used A2 sheets like you have (although I only have black and white sheets) propped up against the newspaper holder, but am thinking maybe I should get some smaller sheets to go into the light box to get some shots without the living room reflected in the paint.

At the risk of turning your thread into a set of contributor's photos, but hopefully I can back up your excellent shots in the first post. This is what I got with the same method (currently the same pic is my avatar). I've also tried experimenting with turning the camera to an angle to get alternatives to the cars running straight across the shot - nothing wrong in that but it's fun to experiment.

50822507542_d4ab37b8bc_b.jpg

• Like 3

A few years ago, while playing with some add-on lenses for my phone camera, I used a sheet of white legal-size paper as a background for an old 1/72 Opel Blitz.

51119691158_5980424d06_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

Fine for smaller scales but for 1/12, 32 x 40 mat board has served me well. Also cork sheets are a very nice base texture. Mat boards seen here near window light on a cloudy day:

B.jpg

Of course if your model is 27" long, extreme measures are required:

9.jpg

The key is to have fun.

• Like 6

On 4/16/2021 at 8:53 PM, dogsbody said:

while playing with some add-on lenses for my phone camera

Was thinking about something similar as a cheap way into macro photography. What was your verdict Chris - worth a go or avoid?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Lummox said:

Was thinking about something similar as a cheap way into macro photography. What was your verdict Chris - worth a go or avoid?

Cheers.

Try it out.

This is the lens set I got for Christmas a few years ago.

50818215072_80a81ced4c_c.jpg

50818216527_4af1d44db8_c.jpg

50817375248_549222040e_c.jpg

I haven't used them much as of yet, but they do seem to have their uses.

This is the base of the blade on my pocketknife. It's no more than 2.5 inches long.

51130991240_cf20fcf09c_c.jpg

I have also tried it with a 1/72 scale Hurricane cockpit:

29874202367_468d7a02e8_o.jpg

I haven't tried out the wide angle one yet.

Chris

• Thanks 1