AMK 1/48 MiG-31B/BS WIP

Pilots painted with Tamiya acrylic paints. Cabin spray painted with Mr. Color C391 Emerald Green. All other details were brought out by AMK kit decals

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 01:02, dov said:

Hallo

The model looks good. How you like this kit? Is the fitting ok? The accuracy too?

Happy modellinh

fitting is superior to their F-14D kit. I don't know if accuracy are okay or not. It seems to be a nice kit

• Thanks 1

Here are some WIP photo of modifying MiG-31 main undercarriages to depict an aircraft in air, with gears down and locked. 

1, I removed the link mechanism temperorily to make it easier to cut the main gear trolly apart

2, The main gear trolly were modified to a 'no ground load' configuration. 

3, Place the shock absorb piston of the forward wheels in extended configuration

4, re-install the link mechanism and aft wheel pistons

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 3

Thank you for the shots. Great original photo.

Maybe I start today on my MIG serie part 3. After ealy MIG-15 onward and MIG-21 serie the MIG-23 onward is waiting now.

23 / 27 / 25 / 31 / 29 versions

Happy modelling

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dov said:

Thank you for the shots. Great original photo.

Maybe I start today on my MIG serie part 3. After ealy MIG-15 onward and MIG-21 serie the MIG-23 onward is waiting now.

23 / 27 / 25 / 31 / 29 versions

Happy modelling

Looking forward to the series! The MiGs are just fabulous jets!  In fact I am making my own in-flight-series, I have already built four and this is the fifth:-)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 1

The main undercarriages of MiG-31 was unique. Each of the undercarriages consists of the main strut and a two-wheel-bogey. The main wheels are placed in a staggered way, each of which has a single shock absorber piston. Modification focused on the bogey mainly. Here is the drawing of main gear bogey with ground load and without ground load.

When modified. The bogey should be cut into two pieces. The forward part carries the forward wheel, and the aft part carry the aft wheel. Absorber pistons and link mechanism are re-positioned as without-ground-load-configuration

spacer.png

Main gear: link mechanisms re-installed

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wheels are configured in a staggered tandem way. A good practice to make the giant MiG-31 aircraft adapt to rough runways (runways with low PCN numbers)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The forward part of bogey sits slight more than 90 degrees to the main gear strut when viewed from side when the A/C is in the air

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

The nose gear has a trailing link suspension with a mud-guard. I studied some photos to determine the length of exposure of mirror-finished-piston. Approximately 4 millimeters for 1/48 scale. 2 millemeters in diameter.  

As I re-configured the nose strut into in-the-air position. It really needs some strength as I cut the torsion links, trailing link and shock strut apart. I drilled 1-mm-diameter holes and placed thin steel tubes as the backbone of the nose gear assembly

spacer.png

spacer.png

A temporary mock up with all control surfaces, canopy and R-40 missiles in place as a tryout of what it would be like in future in my cupboard

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 3

For friends who can not see images from weibo, I am sharing images from my scalemates albums here

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=67957&p=albums&album=71524#3

And you can also visit my IG or Facebook page as I share the WIP photos there first

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

your landing gear improvement looks great!

unfortunately many of your other pics do not show for me?

cheers!

Okay. How about the photos from scalemates? Did they appear properly? I am going to share them from there from now on. Or I can create a Flickr account 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little update on this project. The fitting of airframe is superior to AMK's F-14D. Although the panel lines and rivets are a bit too deep, yet this reduce the work loads when you fill and sand. The majorities of mis-fittings lay on aft fuselage. Once the fitting problems are fixed, one can move onto primer and main coat. Here 's how the project is like now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The pre-shading was originally planned as rust+black to make a dark brownish like. Yet I forgot to drop black into my airbrush and make the shading too red, Nevertheless,I still went on with the project.

The main color FS36493 was called 'traffic gray', there is no direct color in Mr.Color's color chart. I chose C308 FS36375 as the base color, adding 3-4 drops of thinned C338 paint into every half cup in my Gunze PS289 airbrush. As for radome and fairings on the leading edges of ventral fins and vertical stabilzers, I used C37 RLM75 German Gray (FS26132).

Extremely thinned paints were used as I did not want to make maximum use of the pre-shadings

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 4

Added stainless steel to the horizontal stabilzer and steel to exhaust nozzle area. Put the landing gears and cockpit components back on. It worked out good! On the next step, I would be painting the canopy and landing gears as to make the preliminary look complete ASAP.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

Nice done.

I thought also about spraying before going on with the glass parts of canopy.

Today I got along with my gear sprayed.

Just a hint: The instruments from Quintas are quite good!

The antennas as surplus and detailed from Eduard too.

I will do it on C334 as main color.

Happy modelling

• Like 1

A little update on the canopy and windshields. In order to open the periscope on the rear cabin, I had to choose the split canopy instead of the one in one piece.

I am going to deal with the gaps and steps once everything in the cabin are glued in place

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Oh, I noticed your leading edge on the tail antennas: The black protective area I miss. On pictures I saw it on all. Or do you have a distinctive model without?

Hapoy modelling & nice doing.

Great job!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dov said:

Oh, I noticed your leading edge on the tail antennas: The black protective area I miss. On pictures I saw it on all. Or do you have a distinctive model without?

Hapoy modelling & nice doing.

Great job!

Oh yes, I noticed it. I am going to add various colors to the airframe step by step. Here's what it look like now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 3

As for the gap between canopy pieces, I began with the center arch piece. Glued it in place, then applied putty. Wait several hour for drying, then sanding, re-paint

spacer.png

spacer.png

5140406agy1gs72d2v0xvj21900u0aff.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then sanded it smooth

spacer.png

As for the front and back seat canopy pieces, just carefully sanded the edges to make them fit flush with the outline of airframe

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2