Citroën 15 Six Traction Avant 1950

During the winter I built the Heller 1/8 scale Citroën 15 Six as part of the Heller Classic GB over here. It was finished and presented there a few months ago, but I've not come round to take any better photos to place here until now. Well, these are better, but only as good as I can manage. It's difficult to get descent photos of this large deep black object with my abilities.

The model is largely built out of the box, with a good deal of care applied. My intention was to build a car in restored and very good condition, as it could possibly appear at a classic car meeting or show in modern times, hence almost no weathering, clean tires and a new stainless exhaust system. I have added some small details, like the net under the headliner, and most of the vinyl squids supplied in the kit for plumbing and wiring was changed to better materials. All in all it was a very enjoyable build.

The build thread, that ended up quite long, can be found here:

15_800.jpg

15_801.jpg

15_802.jpg

15_803.jpg

15_804.jpg

15_805.jpg

15_806.jpg

15_807.jpg

15_808.jpg

15_809.jpg

15_810.jpg

15_811.jpg

15_812.jpg

15_813.jpg

15_814.jpg

15_815.jpg

15_816.jpg

15_817.jpg

15_818.jpg

15_819.jpg

15_820.jpg

15_821.jpg

15_822.jpg

15_823.jpg

15_824.jpg

15_825.jpg

15_826.jpg

15_827.jpg

15_828.jpg

15_829.jpg

15_830.jpg

15_831.jpg

15_832.jpg

15_833.jpg

15_834.jpg

15_835.jpg

15_836.jpg

15_837.jpg

15_838.jpg

15_839.jpg

15_840.jpg

15_841.jpg

15_842.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Have to say I'm not a big fan of large scale model cars (no pun intended!) but when they're as good as that - well I just have to sit and admire them!

Absolutely beautiful paintjob Jörgen, and a simply wonderful model all round!

Keith

• Thanks 1

This is a modelling site. It's no good putting up pictures of your well kept classic and trying to pass it off as a model, we can see through that trick.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Oooh nice! I loved your build in the Heller GB and I still do 🙂 

Normally you would say "another little gem" but not so in this case! A huge big a** gem this is!

• Thanks 1

Jorgen, a wonderful presentation and just as I'd have chosen to do it. Displayed at a classic meet or Sotheby's auction - brilliant. :worthy:

But as is my custom, I can be annoying with 'what if' ideas and I ache to see one carried out on this model which is so deserving.

My only wish is that you fashion a set of brass bumpers, which is well within your skill set. And then, have them chromium plated as my Rolls and all Cox models carry. The shapes are simple and delicate and with your spectacular black finish would make this a '100 Point' motorcar.

Forgive my meddling - this is in no way a criticism of this fine Citroen replica.

• Thanks 1

I was convinced that those outdoor shots were of a real car! Amazing modelling, and a pleasure to look at.

My dad owned one of these when stationed in France with the RCAF,,before I was even born. I'll have to see If I can find the slide photos, I know they are soemwhere...

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

On 16/04/2021 at 17:13, Heather Kay said:

Those outdoor shots … *chef's kiss*

Thanks a lot Heather, glad I managed some photos long last after the GB.

On 16/04/2021 at 17:23, Stew Dapple said:

Beautiful B) ... and so shiny! You did well not to get your reflection in every picture giving the scale away :)

Thanks a lot Stew, I'll admit I had to throw a view with big hand visible...

On 16/04/2021 at 17:37, TonyW said:

One of the finest car models I have had the pleasure of looking at. Following the build thread was a joy.

Thanks a lot Tony, you are most kind. It was a fantastic and inspirational GB and it was a joy to do this impossible kit within it.

On 16/04/2021 at 17:40, Toftdale said:

Some very original touches that really add to the final result 👌 

Many thanks, glad you like it!

On 16/04/2021 at 19:25, johnlambert said:

What a beauty, those underbody shots look like a real car that's rolled onto its side.  The outside pictures look like it's ready for a nice road trip.

Many thanks John. I sort of had that road trip to France in a very well restored car in mind when I built it, I'm very happy if that's convincing.

On 16/04/2021 at 22:49, keefr22 said:

Have to say I'm not a big fan of large scale model cars (no pun intended!) but when they're as good as that - well I just have to sit and admire them!

Absolutely beautiful paintjob Jörgen, and a simply wonderful model all round!

Thanks a lot Keith, I'm usually well planted in 1/24, or even 1/43, but I enjoy a change every now and then. I'm glad you like the finish.

On 16/04/2021 at 22:52, Natter said:

This is a modelling site. It's no good putting up pictures of your well kept classic and trying to pass it off as a model, we can see through that trick.

Ouch, caught red handed then... 😎  Thanks a lot! 😁

On 17/04/2021 at 07:14, JeroenS said:

Oooh nice! I loved your build in the Heller GB and I still do 🙂 

Normally you would say "another little gem" but not so in this case! A huge big a** gem this is!

Thanks a lot Jeroen, it was a great GB and good to have all the Heller enthusiasts along when building.

Yes, it's disturbingly large, not least when trying take photos or placing in a vitrine...

On 17/04/2021 at 09:28, Old John said:

Another great build.It's a big un. Nice Photography too. The interior is really special. 

Many thanks John. Yes, the size quickly gets carried away, but it's rewarding for the interior details.

On 17/04/2021 at 10:03, Andreas.R said:

A really extraordinary model like in a sales room of a Citroen branch in the ´50.

Many thanks Andreas. Driving that car home brand new from the dealer in 1950 would have been something.

On 17/04/2021 at 16:05, Vesa Jussila said:

Really stunting work again. This bring memories from my uncles car. Sad that I didn't have possibility to keep it 25 years ago. 

Thanks a lot Vesa. Ah, one more of those cars that would have been so nice to put aside but wasn't possible.

17 hours ago, Codger said:

Jorgen, a wonderful presentation and just as I'd have chosen to do it. Displayed at a classic meet or Sotheby's auction - brilliant. :worthy:

But as is my custom, I can be annoying with 'what if' ideas and I ache to see one carried out on this model which is so deserving.

My only wish is that you fashion a set of brass bumpers, which is well within your skill set. And then, have them chromium plated as my Rolls and all Cox models carry. The shapes are simple and delicate and with your spectacular black finish would make this a '100 Point' motorcar.

Forgive my meddling - this is in no way a criticism of this fine Citroen replica.

Thanks a lot Mr.C, I'm glad you like it, it means a lot.

Yes, there are actually a number of things more one could make better, and from different materials to improve the result further. There is a lot of potential in this old kit.

I remember when it was released, as a slightly older kid, but I never managed to get one back then. So I just wanted to build one at long last, when the Classic Heller GB started.

12 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Fantastic result. The outside photos looks so real.

Thanks a lot Werner. Glad the outside photos show it well, it's difficult to photograph.

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Beautiful! All that it needs is a figure of Insp. Maigret stood beside it.

Thanks a lot John! Yes, he might have liked the car 👍

9 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Brilliant ! ...some version of Traction Avant is a car I've always wanted since I was a kid..looking at what a real one goes for nowadays a 1/35 version is probably the nearest I'll get now ;)

Lovely model you've created there.. 👍

Many thanks, you are most kind. Yes, a good 15 Six can cost some money today, luckily building models can also be very rewarding.

8 hours ago, Viking said:

I was convinced that those outdoor shots were of a real car! Amazing modelling, and a pleasure to look at.

My dad owned one of these when stationed in France with the RCAF,,before I was even born. I'll have to see If I can find the slide photos, I know they are soemwhere...

Thanks a lot for those kind words John, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Would be nice to see a copy of the slide if you find them.

• Like 3

Today we've had really nice spring weather with the sun shining, so I've taken the Citroën out for a drive. A very very long drive actually - which of course is no problem at all in a car like the 15 Six - as I'm going to visit Mr C and his famous Rolls Royce. I believe he's living not very far away now...

15_900.jpg

Well, it's of course some creative graphic work, but not by me, it's @Codger who placed my Citroën in a street scene from his home town. I think it's brilliantly done.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1