RS-132 Ammunition Boxes (35795) 1:35

Mike

RS-132 Ammunition Boxes (35795)

1:35 ICM via Hannants

boxtop.jpg

The Katyusha rocket launcher was loaded with a load of RS-132 rockets, which had their origins in the early 30s from a project to create a type of smokeless rocket of a standard type and diameter.  The 132 was approximately 85cm long with a diameter of just over 13cm, and fins that projected 30cm from the body.  It could carry just under a kilo of explosive of one of two types.  The RS was high explosive fragmentation with a destructive range of 10m, while the RBS was armour piercing, although with minimal accuracy when aimed at specific targets, the latter wouldn’t have been much use unless unleashed en masse.  They accelerated up to almost 800mph and had a launch radius of under 5 miles with the lack of precision that ensured that although you knew something was going to be blown up in a given area, it was anyone’s guess who or what would fall victim to its detonation.

The Kit

This set from ICM is a new tool that is made to supplement and resupply a Katyusha wagon like the one we reviewed here.  It arrives in one of ICM’s small top-opening boxes with a captive inner lid, and inside are four sprues of grey styrene in a resealable clear foil bag.  All four sprues are identical, and from the box you can build four ammo crates, each holding four rockets apiece.

sprue1.jpg

Construction begins with the base and lid, each of which has two strengthening planks fixed to the outside, with a planked texture engraved in the surface.  The sides of the box have the same planked surface with corner protectors, and each end has a cross-brace for lugging them around.  The rockets are in two parts, and slot into three supports with semi-circular cut-outs to cradle the body.  Another set close over them to hold things in place, and the lid finishes off the assembly, which is where I began scratching my head.  The instructions show the lid having two hinges on the back that lock into grooves in the corresponding side.  Those hinges aren’t present on the parts, but you can fix that easily enough with some 1mm rod cut to length.  How do I know?  I possess eyes and couldn’t resist building one up for funsies.  I’ve not glued the rockets in yet as they need painting, but you can see them in their slots in the picture below.

completedmodel.jpg

Conclusion

There’s plenty of scope for weathering in this set, and with four boxes you can either put them in the back of a truck for carriage, stacked ready for use, or open on the ground.  The perfect complement to a Katyusha wagon.

Highly recommended.

Available in the UK from importers H G Hannants Ltd.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif