Spitfire Vc Trop - Clipped wing

Olmec Head

As I currently put together the new 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vc for the African GB, I was musing about the extra clipped wing set in the kit.  Obviously it can be used for a Fighter Command Vc version over Europe with the 'temperate' standard filter (also in the kit) and presumably that will be a kit option later.  But I also thought that I cannot remember seeing a photo or profile of a Spitfire Vc with a Vokes filter and a clipped wing .  So were the clipped wing variants only operated over NW Europe please?

Hmm, interesting question.  I'm sure that examples can be found, but they may be relatively rare for the following reasons:

• Most Vc Trops (I think!) were fitted with the Merlin 46, "tuned" for a bit higher altitude power (supercharging).
  • The clipped tips were associated with the "cropped" Merlin 45 (etc)- not hard and fast, but generally
  • It might be relatively more common to find an Abouqir filter on a "cropped" Spit V

There, I've set the stage for someone to post a stream of photos of Vokes-filtered, clipped wing Vcs...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Im not the best expert and Im sure you will find some examples. However I’m thinking that in the high heat you would need more lift. High heat and humidity can effect power and lift. So the standard or Extended wings would be more desirable ? At least thats something I remember from my A&P training ? Though in a similar vein did R.N. Seafires use clipped wings ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im not the best expert and Im sure you will find some examples. However I’m thinking that in the high heat you would need more lift. High heat and humidity can effect power and lift. So the standard or Extended wings would be more desirable ? At least thats something I remember from my A&P training ? Though in a similar vein did R.N. Seafires use clipped wings ? 

Clipped wing Seafire III

50206650447_8dee44118b.jpg

(You knew I would)...

• Thanks 1