First flights

jhutchi

Fantastic! 

My first flight was in a Grob Tutor G115E G-BYUV from RAF Colerne on the 12th of March 2010.

It left such a lasting impression that I can still remember the whole flight, including aerobatics! 

Since then I've gained a PPL a degree in engineering and, over ten years on, I'm traninig to be a Flight Test Engineer.

I wonder how many people have been inspired by their time in the Air Training Corps..?

Wellington T 10 , Air Cadets , RAF Finningley 1948 .Even got to spend 10 minutes riding the tail turret ! .

Don .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Don149 said:

Wellington T 10 , Air Cadets , RAF Finningley 1948 .Even got to spend 10 minutes riding the tail turret ! .

Don .

Fantastic!! 

6 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Fantastic! 

My first flight was in a Grob Tutor G115E G-BYWE (I think) from RAF Colerne, I'll have to dig out my log book to check :)

Very nice. I always prefered the Bulldog

My very first flight was in 1966 from Shoreham Airport in Auster V G-ANHR. First glider flight in Sedburgh XN148 at Tangmere March 1967. First Chipmunk flight March 10th 1968 at Shoreham in WD346:3.

First ever flight in a Cambrian Airways Viscount 700 from LHR to Douglas, Isle of Man (and return) in 1963 (I was three years old so didn’t know to look for the registration).

First flying got when I actually flew the aeroplane 10th October 1973 in Chipmunk T. Mk. 10 WB569 at 1AEF, RAF Manston.  Guess what markings my shiny new Airfix Chipmunk is going to wear.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My first flight was in a Delta Air lines Boeing 727 in 1978. Ive been in multiple types since then including time in the right seat of many of them. 

Great! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

First ever flight in a Cambrian Airways Viscount 700 from LHR to Douglas, Isle of Man (and return) in 1963 (I was three years old so didn’t know to look for the registration).

First flying got when I actually flew the aeroplane 10th October 1973 in Chipmunk T. Mk. 10 WB569 at 1AEF, RAF Manston.  Guess what markings my shiny new Airfix Chipmunk is going to wear.

Excellent. 

I built a Chipmunk a few years ago but didn't have an idea which Chipmunk I'd first flown in. If I ever build another one... 

First and only time I've been at the controls of an aircraft was a couple of years ago in Piper Pa28A G-COVC, I fully intend to at some point learn to fly. I turn 18 next month so I have plenty of time ahead of me to get around to it. 

First time I flew aboard an aircraft as a passenger was from the UK to Lanzarote (I have a feeling it might have been from EMA but), although I don't know what aircraft type it was. I was less than 2 so only have very vague memories from that time and the photos only show the interior and the wing out of a window. 

• Like 2

The first flight I actually remember was in 1986 and it was in a C-130 Hercules.

I had just joined the Royal Canadian Air Cadets and still hadn't been issued my uniform when my squadron took a field trip to the local air base, CFB Edmonton.

They had removed the two boarding doors just ahead of the cargo ramp and put the clear panels used in search and rescue missions in their place. It was quite something watching the snow covered prairie go past beneath us.

During my time in the Air Cadets, I managed to get a ride on each of the types at the base: Twin Otter, Twin Huey, Kiowa, Chinook and Hercules.

• Like 1

My first flight was in a glider when in the scouts.

My second flight was in a Cessna 172 which I jumped out of at 2500 feet. ......... with a parachute. :tease:

Since then proper commercial flights, with some great bush flying in Kenya on Safari.

Dick 

A Ryan Navion at Pearland, Texas, in 1960. I was 13 and got to take the controls. I couldn’t see over the top of the instrument panel but had devoured every book I could find on flying at that point and knew enough to fly on instruments. 

• Like 1