Tamiya 1/35 Chally 1

Ready for rivet counting is the Tamiya chally 1. This was an accidental purchase as I meant to buy the Chally 2. (beer and eBay don’t mix). This was knocked together in about a week and was straight out of the box.

Very old kit that is certainly showing it’s age as the fit is terrible in places, sink and injection marks on the rear of every panel and sooo many seam lines. Hence I spent little time on it as hours were spent sanding and filling. 

I tried to imagine a scene on the range at Salisbury Plain in autumn in the late 80’s/ early 90’s. Anyway thanks for looking. 

Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Hi A.R.1989,

Despite its age, it is a beautiful vehicle, I really like how the weathering was, and the base together with its figure, give it a lot of life and scale, just what my "Chaffy (Takom 1/35)" lacks, I hope one day he will be able to make a decent ... lol
This is exactly what I wanted to represent with my model too "I tried to imagine a scene on the range at Salisbury Plain in autumn in the late 80's / early 90's" ... although somewhat earlier ... lol
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

Very nice!  I made this model when it was new in the 1980s, can't remember how good or bad the fit was but I was happy with result then.... except the commander figure who I thought was very undersized - compared to the figures that came with  the Merkava mk1 that was released about the same time he was tiny!   And looks like he's in a painting by Munch, poor chap.

It didn't come with any stowage or fuel cans in the 1980s IIRC.

• Like 1

I love that mate,..... same sort of vintage as me,....late 80`s-90`s... and it looks just how I remember them love the weathering, especially the rain streaked dust,..... brilliant. 

• Thanks 1

On 15/04/2021 at 17:33, A.R.1989 said:

Ready for rivet counting is the Tamiya chally 1. This was an accidental purchase as I meant to buy the Chally 2. (beer and eBay don’t mix). This was knocked together in about a week and was straight out of the box.

Very old kit that is certainly showing it’s age as the fit is terrible in places, sink and injection marks on the rear of every panel and sooo many seam lines. Hence I spent little time on it as hours were spent sanding and filling. 

I tried to imagine a scene on the range at Salisbury Plain in autumn in the late 80’s/ early 90’s. Anyway thanks for looking. 

Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1 Chally 1

On 23/04/2021 at 09:42, Federciccio said:

Nice model and diorama too, did you use some product for wet mud?

I’m an avid user of the ak diorama mud products. I tend to lay some groundwork down and then water down the wet mud effect so that is spreads out and also glazes for a realistic wet mud effect