RCAF Lancaster Mk.10MP, 1958.*** PHEW! IN THE GALLERY 08/08/2021***

DaveyGair

Here's my first project for this GB, a Hasegawa Lancaster in Rescue mode!

Will be done OOB apart from Pavla intakes and CMK post war treaded tyre wheels.

Any recommendations for the Orange is welcome please! The fuselage band is included as a decal but I will just airbrush that as I don't fancy trying to match the colour!

The book doesn't show any real variation in the Aluminium panelling but I may add some slightly different shades here and there just to break up the overall effect, we'll see how it goes.

Davey

DSC_0001 DSC_0002

• Like 18

For that shade of orange, my go-to is MRP International Orange MRP-232, an acrylic lacquer.

For Dayglo, I use Mr Color 171 fluoro red but it doesn't look like Dayglo is applicable to your model, the build of which I'm going to follow with interest.

Great to see the Lanc in livery other than Bomber Command colours.

Rog

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roginoz said:

For that shade of orange, my go-to is MRP International Orange MRP-232, an acrylic lacquer.

For Dayglo, I use Mr Color 171 fluoro red but it doesn't look like Dayglo is applicable to your model, the build of which I'm going to follow with interest.

Great to see the Lanc in livery other than Bomber Command colours.

Rog

Having another read through the Canadian service section of the book, apparently the panels were a Red colour which later by '57/'58 (the year of this model) were changed to an Orange/Red colour?  The kit box actually has the wing panels and spinners as Red but the decal is definitely Orange in colour.

Just to show how looking at photo's, even in colour, can throw up confusion, on page 38 of the book are two photos taken on the same date of CX-104 in later guise with a White upper and show a very Red version and a more Orange version (the grass is greener on the more Red photo as well).

No doubt the colour I use will be wrong in someone's eyes !

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Having another read through the Canadian service section of the book, apparently the panels were a Red colour which later by '57/'58 (the year of this model) were changed to an Orange/Red colour?  The kit box actually has the wing panels and spinners as Red but the decal is definitely Orange in colour.

Just to show how looking at photo's, even in colour, can throw up confusion, on page 38 of the book are two photos taken on the same date of CX-104 in later guise with a White upper and show a very Red version and a more Orange version (the grass is greener on the more Red photo as well).

Davey.

I'm not even sure on the reds. Keep in mind the types of film used then and if your looking st it on a monitor or photograph, it all changes a lot. I guess look at pictures of other restored aircraft from the time and compare. Could even get ahold of one of museums in the Maritimes, such as Mid Atlantic or Greenwood. Greenwood has a Lanc on display that was recently painted in wartime colours but it wore the patrol colours until recently. I'd ask them first, then you have right from the source.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Davey.

Don't mention the "O" word, as @Rabbit Leader and @PeterB will tell you, I got into all sorts of trouble during my Renzan / Rita build in the Frog Squad GB !

IMG_4615

My advice is someone will always disagree, but as its your model, do it your way.

Best of luck

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I'm not even sure on the reds. Keep in mind the types of film used then and if your looking st it on a monitor or photograph, it all changes a lot. I guess look at pictures of other restored aircraft from the time and compare. Could even get ahold of one of museums in the Maritimes, such as Mid Atlantic or Greenwood. Greenwood has a Lanc on display that was recently painted in wartime colours but it wore the patrol colours until recently. I'd ask them first, then you have right from the source.

Thanks for looking in. I never obsess too much about colour. 

As I mentioned, the two photos in the book look completely different. I worked in the printing industry for 16 years and there is a tolerance for colour, light to dark, that is acceptable. Photos can be affected by exposure, weather and end reproduction.  Unless someone was actually there looking at a particular subject and can verify the colour is right or wrong then I'm pretty easy going with what I accept 😁.  I've ordered a bottle of Vallejo ModelColor Red Orange, their reference number 910, I'll see how that goes when the time comes.

Davey.

27 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Don't mention the "O" word, as @Rabbit Leader and @PeterB will tell you, I got into all sorts of trouble during my Renzan / Rita build in the Frog Squad GB !

My advice is someone will always disagree, but as its your model, do it your way.

Best of luck

cheers Pat

Hi Pat, yeah, someone will always rain on your parade! 😀

This guy's representation looks good to me, CX-104 in later guise.

Tried to get the particular page but can't seem to copy the link, go to last page then back one page.

Davey.

https://genessis-models.websitetoolbox.com/post/172-rcaf-rescue-lancaster-9993349

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

As I mentioned, the two photos in the book look completely different. I worked in the printing industry for 16 years and there is a tolerance for colour, light to dark, that is acceptable. Photos can be affected by exposure, weather and end reproduction.  Unless someone was actually there looking at a particular subject and can verify the colour is right or wrong then I'm pretty easy going with what I accept 😁.  I've ordered a bottle of Vallejo ModelColor Red Orange, their reference number 910, I'll see how that goes when the time comes.

Davey.

If they can prove you wrong then they can say so otherwise it’s your call.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

I have seen a number of RCAF types in these sorts of colours but that was long ago. My recollection and understanding was the dayglo red colour was more red than orange but it did weather and fade quickly to become more orange. 

You may have already seen this web page:  http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian-warplanes-5-avro-lancaster-rcaf-postwar_685.html

You will notice in some of the colour images that the red is positively red and in others more orange. There is one image about 1/3 of way down the page where the colour appears orange but then so too does the word RESCUE. In some pictures the red lightning bolt along the fuselage also differs in it's hue of red.

You will also find some colour pictures of 104 as well as black and white in much the same livery as the box top image with this note:

Lancasters assigned to the Search and Rescue role carried the RESCUE sign pained in red, initially on the bombay doors and later on the side of the fuselage edged in blue and enhanced with a florescent orange-red band, from 1952 to 1964.

I try to not fuss too much over colours any more, close and representative is as good as target as any and less to stress over.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamCC said:

I try to not fuss too much over colours any more, close and representative is as good as target as any and less to stress over.

cheers, Graham

Thanks for the info Graham, the more I look into this the more bamboozled I get so I think will go for the best representation, as usual for me!

By the way, do you know if Canadian built Lancs have the same colours for the interiors as British built ones? (just before I get more bamboozled!)

Davey.

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

By the way, do you know if Canadian built Lancs have the same colours for the interiors as British built ones? (just before I get more bamboozled!)

Sorry, no idea.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:58 AM, Mancunian airman said:

Being a Lancaster man through and through I'm in the front row  . . . :D

Thanks for looking in, I will endeavour to do my best as it is, would you believe, my first ever Lancaster build!  I built the Halifax and Stirling back in the 70's as a teenager but for some reason the Lanc' never floated my boat?  Now I have all the new tool Airfix boxings to do and a couple of Revell ones which are earmarked for Manchester builds.

Davey.

• Like 1

Great choice, and lovely to see a Lanc in something other than green/brown/black!

(Any debate about the "O word" doesn't bode well for my build 😜)

• Haha 1

Interesting photo and Youtube video from British Columbia Aviation Museum shows the, seemingly original, interior to be Grey/Green up to the Bomb-aimer position, which is flaking off Black. Interestingly, the rudder pedal assembly is Yellow?

Davey.

• Like 2

Started sticking some bits together after some work on the SAAF B-26 Marauder (Africa GB).

Got the flight deck ready for painting. I'm sure the equipment would be different for a 50's RCAF machine but I worry not about such things!

DSC_0006

Started the job I was not looking forward to, opening up the aft observation windows.  Got the port one done then realised it was only half the size on the actual RCAF rescue machines 🤬! I have to fill and sand all the small windows along both sides anyway so I can fix it when I do that 🙂

DSC_0005

More soon.

Davey.

• Like 8

After studying the photos in the book I have on Post-War Lancasters, it seemed obvious the rear observation windows were smaller and position much more to the rear of the fuselage as the kit suggests so I've done some modifications to the one I cut out on the port side and cut out the starboard one as well. While i was on I sanded down the 'boiler plate' side door a bit and re-scribed it as it seemed too large compared to photo's.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0007

DSC_0008

• Like 8

Got the Marauder finished over on the 'Africa' GB (although I have started a couple of MiG-15's on there!), so made a start on filling the windows on this. I had used Squadron filler first which, after sanding, there was some shrinkage. I have used some Vallejo Liquid Filler over the top, I think it'll take some time to get smooth.

I've painted the interior and added the decals for the panel plus some tape seat belts. I'll do a wash and dry-brush when it's all hardened.

I should add that the rather jumbled instructions actually have the correct position of the rear windows for this RCAF machine with scale templates to show you where to cut! Fortunately I'm not far out on the starboard one! The aft door is still too large as represented though.

I stuck the wings together, which all the halves joined perfectly. I'm hoping they can be painted and joined separately as it'll make the demarcation for the lower Grey easier to do.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002

• Like 11

I haven't forgotten about this, just been getting side-lined doing some MiGs over on the Africa GB 😁

Starting to get a bit frustrated trying to make the side windows disappear, did some more filling and another coat of primer, can still see the indentations which will look even worse under an Aluminium finish. I'll persevere until I get the finish I'm looking for and in the meantime will assemble the wings and engine nascelles.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0002

DSC_0003

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

After a few attempts at getting rid of the fuselage windows I've finally decided to see what it looks like under some Aluminium paint. This AK interactive Enamel which I first thought was water based Acrylic but found out the hard way when cleaning the airbrush!

It still isn't perfect but I'm going to bash on finishing her, once the markings and everything is on they'll distract from the abysmal attempts at a smooth finish!

One of the wings needs a rub down again, already started on that.

The resin intakes and Rads fitted well and look better than the kit parts.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0014 DSC_0015 DSC_0012 DSC_0019 DSC_0020 DSC_0021

• Like 8