Alfa Romeo 8C 2300, Monaco GP '32

At last I have got some better photos done for this section. So here we have my version of the Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 winning the 1932 Monaco Grand Prix in the hands of the legendary Italian driver Tazio Nuvolari. This was a hard fought battle over 3½ hours around the famous street circuit.

The base is the recent 1/12 scale, not my usual modelling scale, kit from Italeri and replacement wire wheels from FPPM, Fernando Pinto, in Portugal. I modified the shape of the leaf springs as they appear a bit odd in the kit. The fuel tank was also modified to get a better shaped bottom and a more likely configuration of the rearmost side panels. I also added or modified some other details. The wire locking bolts are 3D-printed and threaded with 0,1 mm wires twisted together. The red colour is the mix offered by Zero paints for this car, followed by 2K semi-gloss clear. In the build thread I said many times that my photos didn't show the red correctly, but on my screens these photos below do give a quite truthful representation. The race number and the gold stripes are masked and airbrushed.

The build thread is here.

A300.jpg

A301.jpg

A302.jpg

A303.jpg

A304.jpg

A305.jpg

A306.jpg

A307.jpg

A308.jpg

A309.jpg

A310.jpg

A311.jpg

A312.jpg

A313.jpg

A314.jpg

A315.jpg

A316.jpg

A317.jpg

A318.jpg

A319.jpg

A320.jpg

A321.jpg

A322.jpg

• Like 24

That is absolutely gorgeous Jörgen, really wonderful model! The paint is lovely, the weathering looks perfect, and the exhaust is brilliant! 

I somehow missed the build thread, so off for a read now!

Keith

• Thanks 1

What they all said... This one is right up there with the best of your work. Perfect weathering and lovely detail. And those wheels are indeed a worthy addition to the model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jorgen I'm late to the party but all previous guests have said eloquently anything I might have.

But I will say this; this is probably the best 8C IN ANY SCALE - and of any type - that I've seen - for capturing the character of the original.

Viewing the model brings back 1932 immediately.

And my personal crusade, your skills have outgrown 1/12 scale and demand a larger canvas. :devil:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with all of those above and particularly with Chas. Time for 1:8 scale. 

Fantastic weathering and like John said its so life like. 

Step in and drive away (after fixing the advance/retard though).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/04/2021 at 13:32, Dancona said:

That is absolutely magnificent, your attention to detail and subtle weathering is second to none, it could be a real one, simply beautiful !!!

Thanks a lot for your very kind praise!

On 15/04/2021 at 13:47, Marco F. said:

Super result, I can't stop looking at all these perfect details you added. 

The weathering at the end of the exhaust was a fantastic idea 

Marco F 

Thanks a lot Marco, glad you enjoy the details and weathering.

On 15/04/2021 at 13:54, Vesa Jussila said:

I am speechless, this is really nice model. And all those small details. 

Thank you very much Vesa. It was a rewarding model to add a little extra to.

On 15/04/2021 at 13:57, keefr22 said:

That is absolutely gorgeous Jörgen, really wonderful model! The paint is lovely, the weathering looks perfect, and the exhaust is brilliant!

Thanks a lot Keith. The exhaust was one of those "Do I really dare doing this?", glad you like it.

On 15/04/2021 at 14:00, johnlambert said:

Another beautiful model, it looks like a car that's been driven, you can practically hear the tick of cooling metal.

Many thanks John, I'm glad you say that; the sound of hot ticking metal cooling after a a hard drive is one of those lovely things that makes life enjoyable.

On 15/04/2021 at 15:06, Matt Crane said:

Gorgeous, so nicely executed and subtly weathered!

Thanks a lot Matt. I think a bit of weathering adds to this era of cars, it's just the question of daring to do it...

On 15/04/2021 at 15:19, stalal said:

Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing. Pictures I have never seen before. 

Many thanks, glad you like it.

On 15/04/2021 at 16:55, JeroenS said:

What they all said... This one is right up there with the best of your work. Perfect weathering and lovely detail. And those wheels are indeed a worthy addition to the model.

Thanks a lot Jeroen. I admit the finished model is growing a little on me as time goes. Indeed the FPPM wheels makes a huge difference, I doubt I would have made this work unless Fernando had created those wheels.

On 15/04/2021 at 17:39, Codger said:

Jorgen I'm late to the party but all previous guests have said eloquently anything I might have.

But I will say this; this is probably the best 8C IN ANY SCALE - and of any type - that I've seen - for capturing the character of the original.

Viewing the model brings back 1932 immediately.

And my personal crusade, your skills have outgrown 1/12 scale and demand a larger canvas. :devil:

Thank you very much Mr C. I'm very happy and humbled that you say this, because capturing the character of the real car, right there back in 1932, is very much what I wanted to achieve. The odd detail may differ, or could be better finished, but it's really the feeling and character of Nuvolari's hard raced Monza in Monaco 1932 I wanted to achieve.

On 15/04/2021 at 21:58, Pouln said:

I agree with all of those above and particularly with Chas. Time for 1:8 scale. 

Fantastic weathering and like John said its so life like. 

Step in and drive away (after fixing the advance/retard though).

Thanks a lot Poul, you are most kind. The weathering makes a lot, I'm glad I went ahead with that, it makes the car come alive.

On 15/04/2021 at 22:06, Toftdale said:

I agree with all the deserved praise, especially love the weathering. 

Many thanks, I'm really glad you like the weathering.

9 hours ago, Andreas.R said:

I think this is the best car model I have ever seen, your attention to detail and subtle weathering is simply exceptional!

Thanks a lot Andreas, that is very kind praise. Glad you like it so much. and that the weathering was worth it.

• Like 2

I can only echo the other comments, this is another outstanding piece of model making, the overall standard of finish is world class. I love the subtle weathering, the detail additions that really lifts the model to another level, and you nailed the colour, as it looks spot on. Brilliant. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The Sheene Machine said:

I can only echo the other comments, this is another outstanding piece of model making, the overall standard of finish is world class. I love the subtle weathering, the detail additions that really lifts the model to another level, and you nailed the colour, as it looks spot on. Brilliant. 

Thank you very much for the overwhelming praise, I'm glad you like the work.

A truly lovely model with well executed detailing of this iconic racer from the 'Golden Age'.

I wish there were more large scale affordable kits from that era.

A Bugatti Type 35, 51 or Type 59 would be very complementary to the Alfa and Fiat kits.

I have been looking at the 1/12th scale Type 35 recently announced by MFH on Hiroboy's site, but £525 is quite a bit of money to justify on a kit. Mind you it does look a fantastic kit as it ought to be at that price!

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, modelbautony said:

It's museum quality. I can only strive for and hope to learn.

Thanks a lot, you are most kind.

I'm sure you can get there too; building subjects that gives inspiration helps a lot.

58 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

A truly lovely model with well executed detailing of this iconic racer from the 'Golden Age'.

I wish there were more large scale affordable kits from that era.

A Bugatti Type 35, 51 or Type 59 would be very complementary to the Alfa and Fiat kits.

I have been looking at the 1/12th scale Type 35 recently announced by MFH on Hiroboy's site, but £525 is quite a bit of money to justify on a kit. Mind you it does look a fantastic kit as it ought to be at that price!

Thank you very much Noel.

Yes, the MFH kits carry a price tag, but they are sure very nice. If 1/12 would be my usual scale my bank account would sure suffer even more than it does now...