1/72 Dorawings Percival Proctor III

Richard Tucker

My ww2 plane stash has 3 candidates for this GB. I'll start with the one I've had the longest.

This will be the first Dorawings kit I've built so I'm interested to see how it goes.

Here is the obligatory sprues and box shots.

y4mw7WAtVhq0s75StrQ6TEtxgdNVF7S85E2AM43J

y4mq6PH17Ei0fx1I0IbERbxVfozf-g8mlNEK_Fg8

The detail on the plastic looks pretty good.

y4mK1tYsC_8_s6gATGIKzD9_7TspPJsx9gDVm7KO

The kit comes with a small PE set.

y4m92DgbFPcTNpd_K8M096OIAuGU8TBLMSjGibbA

The decals are nicely printed but I think there is a mistake on the Z7237 set as they have post war roundels but the instructions suggest 1942.

The photo here suggests 1950 which would seem correct to me.

AB01051.jpg

That rules it out for me as I only build 1939-1949 schemes :)

From what I can tell, the most likely wartime scheme is the one offered by the museum aircraft LZ766 which is BS Dark Earth, BS Dark Green and Yellow undersides,  The decals are provided for this aircraft which currently resides at Duxford. I can't find any wartime pictures of this aircraft so can't confirm the colour scheme today is accurate.

1280px-Percival_Proctor_III_LZ766_(G-ALC

• Like 5

Hi Richard, I built their Vega Gull in this scale over on the ANZAC GB which you may want to look at.  Fairly stress free, just the usual test fit and test fit again mentality is needed!  The only niggle is the five part canopy assembly which needed a lot of test fitting and filing to get right. I dispensed with 99% of the PE!

I have a Proctor which came in the same box to do at some stage but I need a rest from 'wrestling' with Kits for the time being!

Enjoy!

Davey.

• Thanks 1

I've made a start on the internals. The fit isn't great. Many of the parts have lugs that are supposed to fit into holes but the lugs are bigger than the holes so I've gone for the easy option and trimmed the lugs off and fitted it that way.

y4mhv15hsdYYRU3jhur8zO4tgqcj9_xciR2xXRKx

y4mwaL0XWpgdly_2KxRYlZNXo2a7BK7of-jg21J0

The instrument panel has gone together well and I've managed to stick on the PE levers without my eyes exploding. 

The internal parts are glued to the underside of the aircraft. This is unusual as it goes the length of the plane rather than on the wings. Hopefully the joins will be flush between it and the fuselage sides. So far so good. Once I clear the decks of the 2 FW190's I'm building I'll have more time to concentrate on this one.

• Like 7

Despite my reservations, the base of the fuselage fitted nicely into the sides.

y4mcmYlU5HMspA_mO1JlJ5BfRKJQB2DXQ7K8DbJy

I need to do some filling and sanding around the joins but it went together ok.

y4mFQE4cM1TH_orPGUVfQRfw9zveJZQ-Dt7KzIM2

Wings on and some filling and sanding done. The wings are really long for the fuselage length. I've glued the rudder on at at angle to give it some "life" or character or something :) 

• Like 8

Lots of progress over the weekend, especially yesterday with the terrible weather. The whole thing got a coat of Vallejo grey primer and then I added the glazing.

y4mvicbg02i1G7Rq61QIYbc7L7ROsf9oqo1suHc7

The glazing went on pretty easily and only needed a little filling.

y4mUEappoWdOCg_s0HBccpICQUOuPDS31OHOHyPR

I sprayed the bottom with some Medium Yellow Vallejo Model Air. For once, the yellow went on well and looks a decent colour. Sometimes it is watery.

This was masked and then I sprayed the Dark Earth and Green on the top surfaces.

y4mlQehUv9kCQjjVL_VfsuZfJP417g_j5gow8r1n

One of the landing lights is cut out, the other needed to be cut out. I hadn't spotted this and ended up doing it once everything was painted.

y4mxQo_tQty-rC3IE4EajwI8uwZyX-nVka1XtI6Z

• Like 7

• 1 month later...