Mercedes W154, German GP '38

On 24th July 1938 young British driver Richard "Dick" Seaman reached the very top of international Grand Prix racing. He was driving in one of the two top teams, Mercedes Benz, and on this day he was the winner of the high profile and eventful German Gran Prix at Nürburgring. This is his car that day, the Mercedes W154 with a British green nose identifying Seaman.

The base is the 1/24 scale resin kit from FPPM, Fernando Pinto, in Portugal. I modified the engine with my own 3D-printed compressors for the '38 configuration and added a few small details. The WIP-thread can be found here.

154_200.jpg

154_201.jpg

154_202.jpg

154_203.jpg

154_204.jpg

154_205.jpg

154_206.jpg

154_207.jpg

154_208.jpg

154_209.jpg

154_210.jpg

154_211.jpg

154_212.jpg

154_213.jpg

154_214.jpg

154_215.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

It feels as though you've built this in no time, but it's a lovely end result. You always seem to produce consistently good models of less common subjects - that's a very good thing.

Have to admit that (probably along with most Brits here) when I first heard of Dick Seaman a few years ago I thought with the name someone was having a laugh. It really appears that he's much better known in Europe than over here, although I guess that's in large part due to the time he was racing in.

• Thanks 1

Stunning again!  FPPM models are great,I've only made one myself and it was nothing like your one though! As far as I know Dick Seaman only drove for German teams,some of those cars had the swastlika in a red band on the back of the car.Chris.

• Thanks 1

On 15/04/2021 at 13:52, Vesa Jussila said:

This stunting model. really beautiful work.

Thank you very much Vesa, you are most kind.

21 hours ago, Spiny said:

It feels as though you've built this in no time, but it's a lovely end result. You always seem to produce consistently good models of less common subjects - that's a very good thing.

Have to admit that (probably along with most Brits here) when I first heard of Dick Seaman a few years ago I thought with the name someone was having a laugh. It really appears that he's much better known in Europe than over here, although I guess that's in large part due to the time he was racing in.

Thanks a lot your kind praise. I'll happily admit that my taste and interest in cars are often not mainstream and mostly of yesterday's subjects 😎

Yes, I suppose Dick Seaman might be more known in continental Europe.  His far too short career was during very troubled times.

9 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Stunning again!  FPPM models are great,I've only made one myself and it was nothing like your one though! As far as I know Dick Seaman only drove for German teams,some of those cars had the swastlika in a red band on the back of the car.Chris.

Thanks a lot. I'm very happy for FPPM's kits and often excellent choice of subjects. Never easy to build but very rewarding.

As a works GP driver Dick Seaman indeed only drove Mercedes, 1937-1939.

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Absolutely lovely model Jörgen, really beautifully built and painted - and I love the green nose!

Terrific work!

Thanks a lot Keith.

The bit of colour on the nose really adds to the impression I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...