USAF long-range AMRAAM shot

Slater

15 hours ago, 11bravo said:

Just keep in mind that those early Phoenix shots were carefully staged and "enhanced" to ensure the best possible results.   They were then used extensively for PR purposes to keep the F-14 safe from possible budget cuts / cancellation.

Hmmm....

We do know do little about the recent Amraam shots, so why would it have been different this time??

They do not even tell a distance! :D

The Amraam shots were definitely staged, because they were dedicated TEST shots in order to tassess amongst others long range targeting and testing capabilites.

But I have "the longe...t "

Edited by exdraken
  • Confused 1

On 25/04/2021 at 16:16, 11bravo said:

I present this picture that was recently leaked

That looks like a trials scheme on a AGM-78 Standard ARM to me.

21 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

It's not an AGM-78, look at the relative position of the front and rear flying surfaces. 

It wouldn't be the only missile to have more than one shape and style of wings. Alternatively, according to Wikipedia, if the SM6 designation were correct, it's AKA the RIM-174 Standard ERAM, which they describe as a SAM. Actually, it does look like a RIM-174 which has jettisoned the booster would look if it was air launched rather than vertical launched.

1 hour ago, Paws4thot said:

It wouldn't be the only missile to have more than one shape and style of wings. Alternatively, according to Wikipedia, if the SM6 designation were correct, it's AKA the RIM-174 Standard ERAM, which they describe as a SAM. Actually, it does look like a RIM-174 which has jettisoned the booster would look if it was air launched rather than vertical launched.

That style of wings was introduced at some point during the evolution of the Standard SAM missiles, it was not used on the AGM-78. Whatever is being tested on that F/A-18 it's derived from a SAM 

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

That style of wings was introduced at some point during the evolution of the Standard SAM missiles, it was not used on the AGM-78. Whatever is being tested on that F/A-18 it's derived from a SAM 

also @Slater

After a bit more reference reading, the AGM-78 was developed from the RIM-66 SM1 SAM, so this could be an AGM development of the RIM-174 SAM? I'm not saying that it is; just that there is an interpretation of the presented photo as an AGM rather than an AIM.