1/72 - Martin XB-51 by MikroMir - released

Homebee

Just more evidence of the “terrible decline in our hobby...” 😜 I genuinely never expected to see a kit of this beastie, which I’ve known about since I saw it in one of those slim illustrated large format books (Purnell Jet Bombers, maybe) in the 1970s...

best,

M.

• Like 2

Wow, that was a blindside. I'll take one (or three). If MikroMir would like to have a run through the Anigrand catalogue, I hope they go for the XF8U-3 next!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HMSLion said:

A Crusader III would be nice, but an F-108 would be a bigger seller.  I'd buy both, of course.

At this rate?  Between Mikro Mir and Clear Prop and others out there east of the Rhine?  The way they're going through the "obscure 1950s American aircraft" subjects?  Yeah, we'll soon be to having those as well!

• Like 1

Really nice and a very strange bird in those years. I remember I saw as kid an article in an Aeroplane Magazine decades ago. I did not understand engines fitted on a  forward fuselage. 

In 1/72 this model is quite big as it would measure  36 cm (over 22 inch) length x 22 cm (over 9 inch) wingspan

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_XB-51

Edited by meindert
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, meindert said:

In 1/72 this model is quite big as it would measure  36 cm (over 22 inch) length x 22 cm (over 9 inch) wingspan

The fuselage was 85 feet long and in 1/72 scale that would be 14.167 inches. Your calculations are closer to 1/48 scale, which calculate at 21.25 inches. Still, a 14+ inch model in 1/72 scale is pretty large.

MikroMir just keep surprising us. Often tempted with the Anigrand job, despite its issues but this would really hit the mark. If we’re talking wish lists, I agree an F-108 would be very welcome (having just finishing Anigrand’s version) but I’d really like to see the elegant Convair XB-46. Keep them coming MikroMir...

• Like 4

On 4/15/2021 at 3:59 PM, Navy Bird said:

Wow, that was a blindside. I'll take one (or three). If MikroMir would like to have a run through the Anigrand catalogue, I hope they go for the XF8U-3 next!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, don't you think a -3 would be more up Clear Prop's alley??

-d-

9 hours ago, David H said:

Bill, don't you think a -3 would be more up Clear Prop's alley??

I'd be happy with whoever can do a better job than Anigrand! Certainly, if Clear Prop made a Crusader III to the same level as their Skyshark, I'd be a happy boy. Maybe MicroMir could follow the XB-51 with an XB-48 - that would be very cool.  :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Martin XB-51 by MikroMir - 3D renders - release in 2023 ?

Although not shake 'n bake Mikro Mir make decent kits and are improving all the time. More power to them.

I'd think that anyone doing the Anigrad subjects in 1/48 would do well too. I like the aircraft which a friend describes as 'weirdly beautiful'. I'd agree with that.

• Like 1