1/72 Hasegawa F111C with upgraded F model engines

This is my first real build log, and its gonna be a decent challenge, which I'm exited to share with Britmodeller, I've lurked this forum for years and am happy to be a poster.

So I picked up a partially 'built' Hase F111C on the auction site for cheap. Naturally it was missing parts, the entire nose gear leg and struts plus wheels, and one of it's engine/exhausts, the worst missing parts however were the glove slats, pointy bits at the wing root, which I'm gonna have to scratch build, as I posted in the scratch building section about.

I've already got a resin wheel set on the way

I've got a nice Resin F model engine/exhaust set on the way as well.

The kit was in a pretty unfortunate state when it arrived, and I had to some decent surgery to get the misaligned dorsal plate off, and remove and re-seat the intakes.

Ebay Photo:
5qKLOBD.jpeg

I broke out my clamps and also finger held the slightly bent belly in place to even out the sides and most huge gaps are close and things are a much tighter stronger fit:

jZ6BX9G.jpeg

And tonight I got my Tamiya Putty out and filled the hole and gaps just behind the cockpit pod and several other  small gaps on the fuselage, sanding with 600 and then some 1500:

p1pMNZl.jpg

WHjxWyj.jpg

8jmMOtQ.jpg

I also added a substantial amount of weight to the Nose in anticipation of heavy Resin engines:

t7eh750.jpg

Edited by RazgrizBSG27
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RazgrizBSG27 said:

Reskit F model Engines came in, got those painted up and assembled, the fkame racks lost a few prongs getting sawn off the resin block, but other than that they look great.

i4hpzM6.jpg

Glad to know that! I just ordered some for the Hobby 2000 F-111F that entered the stash recently.

Nice to see an Aardvark on the work bench. Is this to be a what if build? The Pratt Whitney TF30-P-100 engines were only in the F-111F and the F did not have the long wings as the FB-111A/F-111G, F-111C and the Navy F-111B. I have seen a bunch of What If F-111's and have come out quite well.

So I'll grab a seat and watch with interest. Your doing fine on creating missing parts. Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts at this time or I would offer them up to you.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks much! And I suppose it will be, I was under the impression though that Australian 111s got re engines later in life? But if not, the P-100s I have will do, and if thats already a Whif I might aswell put USAF decals on her and call it a STOL F111f lol.

I actually kinda like that, F111f's meant to operate from road bases and such, hence bigger wings.

Edited by RazgrizBSG27

I have a number of original exhaust for everyone of the other model except for the F. I have one spare set for an F I plan to do for myself. When I retired from the USAF in 93 I built 9 kits for commission builds. All were other retirees. I still have a few Hasegawa kits in the stash. Between 1/144th 1/72nd and 1/48th scale I could make up a Wing size Air Force. My scale is 1/48th and have a number of Academy and Hobby Boss kits. Plus over the years have bought lots of after market things. Each of those companies have a great number of issues.

Come along nicely.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

20 hours ago, f111guru said:

The Pratt Whitney TF30-P-100 engines were only in the F-111F

I am happy to be corrected but I understand the F-111F engines were upgraded to the TF30-P-109 version in 1985–86; all the Aussie F-111Cs were changed over to the -109/-109RA engines in a programme that started in 1994. So it would be true to say that the F-111C had the same engines as the F-111F from the mid '90s

Not sure which specific engine version the Reskit set represents or in fact what the visual differences between the -100 and the -109 exhausts are - others will hopefully know more than me,

Rich

Edited by RichG

Resikit carries both styles of exhaust in 1/72nd and 1/48th scale. Rich you are correct the F-111C had it engines upgraded to the P-109. What I can find on that is the components from the P-100 were updated top the P-9 engine. Not a engine machanic but a bomb loader If I had to guess the components would be the pumps, ignitors, injector nozzles, etc. Just basing my thoughts on what I've donig with V8 engine modifications to change displacement. The below is thew exhaust of an F model on display at Santa Fe New Mexico.

100_8136

FB-111A/F-111G. This aircraft is on display South Dakota Air and Space Museum Rapid City SD.

IMG_6230

This last one is an F-111D on display at the Veterns Memorial Park Clovis New Mexico.

F-111D-0092

They're subtle differences in each exhaust but the F in more distinct. My own thoughts on the engines for the F-111. I would rather have seen the GE engines as the F-14D had received.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Those are excellent photos! I may add some brighter metallics to points and modulate the color a bit on my exhuasts to catch that kind of look. Also its fascinating to learn more about the engine re-fits and updates both aussie and USAF varks underwent. So it seems that with the exhausts I have and the wings I have, it could be essentially authentic as an Austrailian C model, late in its life with the P-109 Engines?

And also, GE F100s in an F111 would be sick, if I didnt already have my engines I'd do that.

Edited by RazgrizBSG27

While the RAAF F-111G engines where replaced with P-109s my research shows that only the core of the F-111C engines were up dated to P-109, the afterburner and nozzle sections were left alone. Hence the TF-30 P-109RA designation the engine was initially given.

• Like 1

Hello,

Hummm great plane and maybe the most controverse plane.

It's sound very well, there is always a lot of work on F111's models.

I'm very interesting by this subject

• 2 months later...

Nice and smooth on the primer. Have you decided on a paint scheme? The original boxing for the Hasegawa C was the SEA with black bottom and flight test scheme with a white bottom and partial sides. Or the gunship gray. I still have the latter and the instructions. So with that your doing a great job on a kit that was missing a bunch of parts.

All the best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

I'm thinking SEA and black bottom so far, its the iconic Vark look, at least in my mind, though the Tac dark grey is tempting, not least cause it will be easier lol. But at time of post im thinking SEA with USAF markings, since I have to get a new decal sheet anyways.

Built this in 1994 for a USAF Major who was retiring. I worked for this major twice. Very nice individual. Both jets represent the F-111D in SEA and black bottom and the gray one is the F-111G which was at one time the FB-111A.

DoubleTrouble

This next one is an early marked 20th TFW at RAF Upper Heyford F-111E before they went to the UH tail code.

100_6839

SEA is a great scheme and fun to paint. Especially free hand. I never have used clay or what's it called to outline the pattern. You've got a great start. And finally an FB-111A.

100_6838

These were all built about the same time period. I do have a this for the F-111 and have a large stash.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

So, Tonight I got the mottle coat on and sprayed her base colors, I tried using the camo putty stuff, and just like you said f111guru, that stuff sorta works, but free handing is much simpler, and SEA luckily looks good as a soft sided camo, though, my finish isnt as nice I'd like cause both my US Dark Green and US Forrest Green are getting low, and were very runny, I tried a lot of pressures and various mixes up to and finally settling on un-thinned, and still had runs and splatter, but I think she turned out alright, and under a wash and various clear coats I think it'll be fine, besides, real airplanes dont always have perfect finishes either, especially ones in combat like our WW3 Workhorse here lol

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is still base work to do, I have to paint the canopy boughs, which normally the glass stays masked and the boughs get painted with the rest of the plane, however I'm experimenting with doing them by themselves, possibly by brush, for this build, and I also need to mask the sides and such and respray her belly and wing and stab undersides black, and also mask and respray the radome black as well. Then its on to masking and doing the red in the slats and flaps and other small things.

• Like 9