The fate of Out Of Production aftermarket

Filler

I was just pondering what happens to the drawings/moulds/know-how of aftermarket products when the businesses cease. I guess it's cases like Cutting Edge and especially Paragon that spring to my mind as they made some great products of interest to me. I just wondered how common it is for aftermarket producers to offer their products to other producers when they finish.

I'm probably wrong about this, but I am under the impression that most if not all AM producers are ultimately hobbyists and not primarily/solely driven by business. So when they wind things up, I just thought it might be natural to offer their designs to other producers so that at least some of these fantastic and valuable products remain available. Perhaps this actually happens more than I realise or I am really misunderstanding the nature of the business.

Most probably just get chucked.  I know that Cobra Company, who made stuff like a correction set for Revell's 1/48 UH-1 Huey Hog were taken up by another US guy, think his company is called Lone Star Models, current status unknown by me.

Now that you've mentioned it, I wonder about AM decals. CanMilAir did a whole lot of Canadian/RCAF sets that I wouldn't mind adding to my collection, but Bill has retired fully now and the decals are no more.

Chris

If it’s anything like the O gauge railway market few of these ranges from the ‘cottage’ industry change hands and re-appear successfully whilst other ranges disappear for various reasons

Owner is not interested in selling,

Owner want to sell but only at a price no one wants to pay,

Owner sells but the ‘master’ need re-working & buyer can’t do the necessary or can’t find someone to do it

Buyer find out about the re-working beforehand and deal is not completed

Range is bought to take out the competition

Buyer can’t be found

It’s not uncommon either for ranges to be sold and the original owner to re-launch updated items.

In the case of aftermarket if the kit’s it’s designed for is no longer available where’s the volume sales going to come from

• Like 1

AFAIK all the Paragon stuff is still extant and with Neil. He put Paragon on hold because of changes to his day job, and may revive it one day when things in that area are different.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RobL said:

Most probably just get chucked.  I know that Cobra Company, who made stuff like a correction set for Revell's 1/48 UH-1 Huey Hog were taken up by another US guy, think his company is called Lone Star Models, current status unknown by me.

Lone Star are up and running, but the guy is snowed under. You need patience.

@Circloy, thanks for your post. That sounds like it explains it all pretty comprehensively. I think as usual, I think of things from a very 'me' point of view. Paragon and CE did produce stuff that fits into my narrow area of interest, and I almost assume that because Paragon Jaguar parts or F-111 parts go for crazy money on eBay that there must actually be a real demand for it. But perhaps not in volume. Paragon did great stuff for the Italeri Tornados in 48th, but with HobbyBoss and more so Revell releasing better kits of the subject, there probably isn't the demand now. The Jag parts would still sell like hotcakes though as Heller and Revell have both rereleased the kit.

Anyway, good to know that Neil and Paragon aren't necessarily finished yet. Thanks @Admiral Puff

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If thats true he hasn't responded to a query I made almost a year ago ? I think he’s just done and ignoring stuff now. 

He's still fairly active on Facebook but as of six weeks ago his wife was very ill. Don't know how she is now, but it had put him even further behind.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

He's still fairly active on Facebook but as of six weeks ago his wife was very ill. Don't know how she is now, but it had put him even further behind.

Hello John I feel and truly express sympathy for his wife, I know things have been hectic and he is probably overrun by orders. But Ive been after a conversion set for almost a year, and I am darn tired of waiting for a response from the man. Sadly he seems to ignore emails and I don't use Facebook. I will have to go old school and scratch build the conversion myself once I have the kit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello John I feel and truly express sympathy for his wife, I know things have been hectic and he is probably overrun by orders. But Ive been after a conversion set for almost a year, and I am darn tired of waiting for a response from the man. Sadly he seems to ignore emails and I don't use Facebook. I will have to go old school and scratch build the conversion myself once I have the kit. 

Totally empathise - even a simple no can do would have been nice to have, and I feel he's shot himself in the foot with quite a few folk for failing to communicate. Especially as he can clearly update Facebook when his time might have been better spent responding to customers.

• Like 1

My last email regarding the Ericsson Skycrane conversion went along the lines of, 'It's not done yet, I am up to my butt in 'gators'. Was due over a year ago, but Covid and now his wife......

I did get a Cobra HH-43 interior off him PDQ after he bought the moulds and resumed production.

Just too much in the way of life I suppose.

• Like 1