Arma Hobby 1/72 FM-2 Wildcat

7 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Not sure I'll get much done today as I'm nipping out for my first visit to Wonderland Models for over a year. I'm actually excited and feeling almost childlike to be going.

Ooh, I envy you. I was actually checking on the Wonderland site to see if the new Airfix Chipmunk was out yet (sadly not apparently) when your post popped up. My work is making noises about returning to the office so perhaps I'll manage a lunchtime visit in the not -too-distant future. Are you thinking of picking up anything in particular?

Craig.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Ooh, I envy you. I was actually checking on the Wonderland site to see if the new Airfix Chipmunk was out yet (sadly not apparently) when your post popped up. My work is making noises about returning to the office so perhaps I'll manage a lunchtime visit in the not -too-distant future. Are you thinking of picking up anything in particular?

Craig.

Just popping in for a visit. I will pick up some paints and sundries, but, who knows something may capture my interest. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Mark,

Not sure I'll get much done today as I'm nipping out for my first visit to Wonderland Models for over a year. I'm actually excited and feeling almost childlike to be going.

"Jealous" does not even come close! :) We want an itemised list of purchases, please!

32 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Well why not another one. Someone has to show us how it should be done. 

:D I'm not sure I'm qualified to do that, in fact I know I'm not! But thanks :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Just now, 2996 Victor said:

What? How did I miss this??? What scale is it?

It's in 1/48.

I've got mine on preorder.

Just need the decals for the Turnhouse AEF and I'll be sorted

Cheers,

Alistair

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AliGauld said:

Will do. Heading out now. I may be some time.

Cheers,

Alistair

Not like Captain Oates, I hope!!!

Enjoy, Alistair, we're with you in spirit!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

What? How did I miss this??? What scale is it?

1/48th! And it looks like a beauty! Like many here I'm sure, the chippie was the first aircraft I ever flew in so I see several of these in my future!

1 minute ago, AliGauld said:

Just need the decals for the Turnhouse AEF and I'll be sorted

13 AEF?  We flew with them from Lossiemouth. It was always a laugh seeing a wee space cadet all done up in the parachute, mae west and bonedome! I still have my old ATC logbook so I know exactly which aircraft I'll be modelling!

Craig. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I find 1/48th has a lot to commend it, especially when the eyesight begins to dim a little. Give it a go!

Craig.

Hi Craig,

I guess so, and the eyesight is definitely dimming! Space is definitely at a premium, though, and that's the driving factor at the moment!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

Space is definitely at a premium, though, and that's the driving factor at the moment!

I know the feeling. I used to be able to unload my finished efforts (not there there is a great number of those) in my office at work but for the last year... Have you considered the CedB ceiling solution? Sadly, my man-cave roof is too low for that to be a viable solution for me but you might have better luck!

Craig.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I know the feeling. I used to be able to unload my finished efforts (not there there is a great number of those) in my office at work but for the last year... Have you considered the CedB ceiling solution? Sadly, my man-cave roof is too low for that to be a viable solution for me but you might have better luck!

Craig.

Its a thought, Craig, but I fear I might have a similar problem with being buzzed by low-flying aircraft - that feeling of being strafed! :D I'll keep a pin in it for future reference, though!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

13 AEF?  We flew with them from Lossiemouth. It was always a laugh seeing a wee space cadet all done up in the parachute, mae west and bonedome! I still have my old ATC logbook so I know exactly which aircraft I'll be modelling!

Craig. 

I was that space cadet. 4'10" and with the parachute waddle much hilarity ensued at my expense.

Lossie was where I did most of my AEF.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As Requested,

P0Hm5hq.jpg

That was all I bought but they seem to have more variety and stock than I ever remember seeing in there.

The Model Color is for my laddie but the rest I will use at some point.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I was that space cadet. 4'10" and with the parachute waddle much hilarity ensued at my expense.

Lossie was where I did most of my AEF.

Ah yes, I remember the waddle well, along with the fear that I wouldn’t be able to actually climb into the chippie cockpit because I was trussed up so tightly. 

Which squadron were you in Alistair? I was in 2368 (Aberdeen Airport) squadron from 1976 to 1980. I was wondering if our paths had ever crossed. 

Craig. 

• Like 1

We were 119 Dethatched Flight Dingwall which was twinned with Alness and subsidiary to the Inverness Squadron.

I was 1975 to 1979 so unless you were at the Summer Camps we had at Leeming and Turnhouse I wouldn't think we would have crossed paths.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

We were 119 Dethatched Flight Dingwall which was twinned with Alness and subsidiary to the Inverness Squadron.

I was 1975 to 1979 so unless you were at the Summer Camps we had at Leeming and Turnhouse I wouldn't think we would have crossed paths.

Ah, I thought you were from Aberdeen for some reason. Just thought I’d ask. 

Craig. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Ah, I thought you were from Aberdeen for some reason. Just thought I’d ask. 

Craig. 

My Mum and Dad were from Torry. They lived in Garthdee when I was born in Forrester Hill Matty Unit but we moved to Dingwall when I was 2 1/2.

I grew up there and consider myself to be from Dingwall.

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice haul Alistair, didn't any models jump into your arms from the shelves ?

Chris

I was so tempted by quite a few and almost got the new Airfix Beaufort but decided that I need to reduce the level of my stash before I plan too many more.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Your Wildcat is looking great Alistair.

Not so many "Stencils" to worry about either.

Good to see the paint rack filling up, we all know how quick things run out, usually at the most inconvenient time!!!!

Stay sane.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

They lived in Garthdee when I was born in Forrester Hill Matty Unit but we moved to Dingwall when I was 2 1/2.

We share our place of birth then!

36 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I was so tempted by quite a few and almost got the new Airfix Beaufort but decided that I need to reduce the level of my stash before I plan too many more.

I admire your restraint. I’ve completely run out of stash space and have been trying to cut back on my purchasing but the kit manufacturers keep insisting on bringing out stuff I really want to build some day. It’s a nightmare!

Craig. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I admire your restraint. I’ve completely run out of stash space and have been trying to cut back on my purchasing but the kit manufacturers keep insisting on bringing out stuff I really want to build some day. It’s a nightmare!

Craig. 

I won't mention the stuff that's on preorder in other places then. :wicked:

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Your Wildcat is looking great Alistair.

Not so many "Stencils" to worry about either.

Good to see the paint rack filling up, we all know how quick things run out, usually at the most inconvenient time!!!!

Stay sane.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

Absolutely!

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1