Diorama: Shipwreck of the tanker Olympic Bravery, Ouessant (Ushant) Island, France, 1976.

On 19/04/2021 at 13:23, Iceman 29 said:

Ropes are not used anymore on big ships, too flexible, they are often replaced by steel cables

My experience was exactly the opposite - small (by todays standards) ships from the 70's used wires, as the ships grew in the 80's we switched to polyprop/HMPE ropes which continues to the present.

Exact Dave.

More informations  (Wiki):

Until the first half of the 20th century, hawsers were made of hemp ropes. Other materials have largely replaced them.

Synthetic hawsers made of polypropylene with eight strands are the ones commonly used, they float and are relatively easy to handle and, above all, they do not make hulls, they can be coiled on the right or on the left unlike the 3 strands. 

Their elasticity can go up to 30%, which is worth considering. This last detail can also be an advantage: the distribution of tensions on several hawsers.

Steel wire rope has a smaller diameter for the same strength, its elasticity is limited to 1.5%, and it is difficult to handle and even dangerous when handled. It sinks, its use at the stern entails risks for the propeller, its handling is difficult for the boatmen.

Mixed mooring lines (steel - synthetic) are used to alleviate particular conditions, for example the berth is subject to the occasional passage of ships, but the steel cable is necessary to maintain a stable berth, being inelastic, a synthetic tail is added to the cable, the synthetic part will absorb by its elasticity the occasional effects. This synthetic tail will have to have a 25% higher breaking load than the rope and its length will be calculated so that 20% of it gives the maximum margin required. (5m will give 1m of point beating).

Some more personnal pictures:

Small gas tanker,  polypropylene.

Big one ( 85000 cbm ), mix.

Took "Cumbria" for you Dave! :D

Ship to Ship operations:

Screenshot-2021-04-20-22-14-52-668.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-20-22-15-32-017.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-20-22-15-52-748.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-20-22-17-30-571.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-20-22-17-53-211.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-20-22-18-37-661.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-20-22-20-32-959.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-20-22-32-53-597.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-20-22-30-46-812.jpg

• Like 5

Tk Kev!

Repaired a few mistakes especially on the windlasses, one of the steam engines was missing. Railing, hoses, fire platforms physical foam etc.. 

Screenshot-2021-04-21-22-09-40-175.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-21-21-52-12-338.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-21-22-02-37-177.jpg

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Iceman 29 said:

Hello Jon, these no daft questions. 

it’s rendering picture, I am currently modeling the ship. I just printed a test bow, see previous page. 

All is clear now, stunning piece of work, both computer and 3D printing. 
Jon

• Like 1

Another amazing project Pascal. You are very skilled with the 3d work. These hull forms are not easy to get right. Do you have a polygon limit or can you do very dense meshes? Back in my CFS3 days I had very restricted polygon count. It would be nice to do a 1/200 German Torpedo ship. Like you are doing. Maybe something for the future. 

In the meantime I will be a keen follower.

• Like 1

Tk! No limit Greg with Fusion360 only the power of the computer. A big project can slow down the program like Pamanset Tanker. But you can divide the project in several project.

Tk Jon!

Thank you for your always very motivating encouragement! :)  

The printing of the front part is in progress, the first one, it has three unequal slices in the length, it has a reason. Because I remind you, there will be two copies built, a full, site model style, and a copy for the diorama. The central part being the part treated differently on the two entities because of the place of the break of the ship.

Screenshot-2021-04-15-21-38-41-584.jpg

223 mm high, impressive this printer, I do not get used to it, I love it. She could print 3 or 4 of these hulls at the same time

love.gif Max 245mm. A resin ogre.

Screenshot-2021-04-22-13-54-08-517.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-22-21-03-49-508.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-22-21-14-12-485.jpg

End around 00h30n or 10h30 for this slot. This is one of the highest (longest) pieces I've had to print. 

I surround myself with all the experience I've acquired to prepare this print before pressing the button, I mustn't fail, at best I waste resin, at worst I can damage the film or better the 4K screen, so I take at least 4 times to recheck everything that can potentially screw up the print, a long job that is not the most exciting, but which is essential, I spent a good day there.

Screenshot-2021-04-22-20-36-09-862.jpg

• Like 6

After first sanding and first coat of Enamel primer tonight. Still have to sand with 1000 paper, the primer allows to see better the areas to be rectified.

The second copy of the front part is being printed.

Screenshot-2021-04-23-21-40-06-694.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-23-21-40-34-067.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-23-21-40-55-447.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-23-21-41-22-688.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-23-21-42-03-125.jpg

• Like 12

It's an IMac Steve, last generation with 64 giga RAM, 27" inch screen, very effective indeed. 

I have been banishing Windows and PC's for 3 years now, I have worked professionally and maintained them all my life, and I couldn't take it anymore in the end.

I don't regret anything, a Mac, you turn the key and it starts up fast and for a long time, a fast and very powerful machine. Very reliable.

Some pictures to show the atmosphere during a storm on this charming and very beautiful island, whether in good or bad weather.  It has also been witness to many shipwrecks over the centuries. The sea currents are very violent, the winds also, the two can confront each other in a tumult sometimes Dantesque. 

Lighthouse of "la Jument" and the guard Theodore Malgorne, in the storm. Erected on a stone called la Jument, "Ar-Gazec" in breton. Route of Fromveur near the island of Ouessant, Sea of Iroise, west Brittany. The keeper has survived to the wave.

Fromveur Passage, south Ouessant:

D-646 Latouche-Treville, french frigate, specialized on anti submarine warfare, class F-70 type Georges Leygues, 139 mts long, 4910 tons displacement, crew 240 Part of this footage is also visible on the movie "Oceans" from Jacques Perrin & Jacques Cluzaud.

Wrecks around Ouessant: 

positions-des-epaves-a-ouessant.jpg

Clic 2 time to enlarge:

IMG-0775.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Fantastic photos, histories and films, thks a lot.

This film with Latouche-Treville is well kown, I think but I just love them. Monumental power of nature and human technology. Sometimes...

All these rocky coasts are so picterresque and imaginative. In Poland we have long stretch of Baltic coast and mainly is a sandy beach. People love it (you know: sand, sun, grill, beer and so on), but I love much more desolated and severe countrysides. That's why I will wait impatiently for your diorama. For me it has big emotional impact: so many picteresque, rich lands polluted and collapted by our humans activity...

The end of my boring you, good luck! 

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1

Thanks yet again Pascal for sharing these memories / moments with us. Lifts an already memorable build to another level.

Many years ago I took a 2,500 dwt coaster through the 'inside passage' of Ouessant . A practise long since banned I believe. Quite right too. In my defence I was young and dumb and not the captain. The currents were vicious and I was allowing 30/40' of leeway in places. Needless to say the weather was nothing like portrayed above

Regards Kev

@Kev Passenger boats can pass between the coast and the 3 islands under certain conditions.

2012: 

Passenger ships can now sail around the tip of Brittany between the coast and the islands of Ouessant, Molène and Sein. The Maritime Prefecture of the Atlantic issued an order in this sense on November 17, motivated by "time and fuel savings".

This authorization is subject to conditions: vessels of less than 220 meters, evaluation of the captains... Brittany Ferries is the first interested party for its lines between Roscoff, Spain and England. Three ships regularly navigate the channels of the Helle, the Four, the Fromveur and the Raz de Sein.

The evaluation of the knowledge of the captains is ensured by the pilots of the Brest-Odet station. They take place on regular lines, with passengers on board. A permanent authorization will then be issued to the captains, and maintained under the condition that they use these routes at least ten times a year.

Calculated risk
In the 1970s, all commercial vessels were moved far offshore to limit shipwrecks and pollution. According to the Maritime Prefecture, the risk of this reduction for passenger ships is calculated: "these are slightly narrower lanes, of course, but on the other hand, they are safer. In terms of rescue, we are in more favorable conditions," said in November the maritime prefect Anne-François de Saint Salvy.  

https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/finistere-les-ferries-peuvent-passer-pres-des-cotes-97399

2006 :

General Manager of Brittany Ferries, Jean-Michel Giguet, looks back on the wall of water that fell on the Pont-Aven, Sunday evening, off Ushant.

The windows of the ports protecting the promenade deck were broken, a technical stop was necessary to continue the operation of the ship. The resumption of the rotations should be done at the end of the week. (Photo DR)

2006052412122766_1.jpg?article=20060524-

General Manager of Brittany Ferries, Jean-Michel Giguet looks back at the wall of water that fell on the Pont-Aven, Sunday evening, off Ushant. A rogue wave of about twenty meters high that shattered the windows of the promenade deck and flooded 150 cabins. Six people were slightly injured.

Sunday evening, was there a near disaster on board the Pont-Aven? No. At no time, the boat was in difficulty in terms of its integrity. The Pont-Aven is perfectly designed to anticipate this type of conditions. Of course, there was this huge wave that hit the ship before progressively penetrating inside the front part of the boat. But at no time did we find ourselves in a situation where the boat was going to take on water. In fact, only a part of this wave entered the ship.

Could the captain see this rogue wave and avoid it? No, this is an extremely rare phenomenon. He could not see it coming, especially since it happened in the middle of the night. It was only when it hit the boat that he saw it. The captain reacted immediately to get to safety, i.e. with his back to the wave. Was there any visible panic inside the ship? No, the crew was immediately informed of the situation and immediately intervened. Our staff is trained to respond to this type of event. What happened was that three couples of passengers, who were in the area of the flooded cabins, were very worried. They came to the information, thinking that the ship might be sinking. When the incident occurred, most of the passengers were having dinner in the restaurant or were at the bar.

They did not see the water and did not panic. How can this ship, which was launched only two years ago, suffer such damage? It is not a damage, but a sea misfortune. It is a wave that can occur anywhere and on any boat. We have already had ports that exploded due to sea conditions. It happens very rarely, but it can happen. 

2006052312113466_1.jpg?article=20060523-

And this isn't the first time it's been immobilized due to a failure? We should not link this event with the technical failure we experienced in August 2004, when we deplored a damage to the propulsion system. Was it necessary to go to sea on Sunday evening, when the winds were blowing at more than 100 km/h? Yes, of course. We have been in much stronger sea conditions since we started operating ships. A captain never takes the decision to leave if all the conditions are not met, if only for himself. It is also important to know that the Pont-Aven is a ship that was designed and built to face the high seas and therefore to sail in the Bay of Biscay. Some members of the staff of Brittany Ferries would now feel a certain apprehension to embark on the Pont-Aven, described as the flagship of your company? It does not make me smile to hear such things, because it is not the reality. It should not be considered that, all of a sudden, the staff is afraid to sail on the Pont-Aven. In fact, there is a girl in the hall who was doing her first tide on Sunday. Not being used to sea conditions like those, she was a little bit afraid, but that's all. Are all safety conditions really guaranteed on the Pont-Aven? With a lot of strength, I say "yes" of course. The Pont-Aven has extremely satisfactory equipment that many other ships do not have, not with us, but with other companies.

https://www.letelegramme.fr/ar/viewarticle1024.php?aaaammjj=20060524&article=12122766&type=ar

Printing of some deck accessories.

Screenshot-2021-04-25-11-17-03-394.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-25-11-25-17-688.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-25-11-07-14-062.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-25-11-08-12-231.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-25-11-12-05-090.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-25-11-13-05-274.jpg

During construction at the Chantier de l'Atlantique in Saint Nazaire.

The back of the engine room

Screenshot-2021-04-25-11-29-40-431.jpg

The exit of the main condenser can be seen at the bottom right, which I will have to reproduce.

Screenshot-2021-04-25-11-30-30-757.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-25-11-30-57-180.jpg

• Like 5

I started the drawing of the castle, the two stores bosun/pumpman are drawn.

I also assembled the central part to the front part. I used my car body filler and then sanded.

Screenshot-2021-04-27-21-25-58-996.jpg

I'm getting the Revell Enamel spray primer tomorrow from my french retailer.

Screenshot-2021-04-27-21-34-34-564.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-27-15-54-31-740.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-27-15-55-14-734.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-26-13-38-34-207.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-27-17-13-25-674.jpg

• Like 9