23 Squadron Mosquito FB Mk VI - 23 Sqn, Luqa July 1943

This model was started in the Mediterranean Theatre GB but stalled after a decal disaster which can be found here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235079643-23-squadron-mosquito-fb-mk-vi/

In July 1943 23 Squadron was based at Luqa in Malta with a mix of Mosquito Mk II and Mosquito FB Mk VI.  One of the latter was HJ675 (code YP-V) which for a short time was regularly flown by Flt Lt (later Sqn Ldr) Paul Rabone who went on to become a WWII "Ace" before losing his life in July 1944.

Several of the squadron's aircraft were used for long distance intruder missions (on 19/07/1943 Paul Rabone flew the longest such sortie to date at approx 5 hours), hence the use of underwing fuel tanks rather than rocket racks.  Anyway, enough background info and time for some photos:

20210414_151244

20210414_151306

20210414_151324

20210414_151351

20210414_151524

This Tamiya kit was mainly painted with Mr Paint colours and as a relatively new airframe at the time has minimal weathering.

Mike

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Mozzie, great backstory too. I very much like the Tamiya Mossie. 

I like the way you very neatly painted Dark Green camouflage over the grey. 

Agree with Joachim about the propellors. Just a subtle neat line on the leading edges would suffice. The front face of propellors are rarely badly worn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat Mossie! I'd only question the massive "wear'n'tear" on the prop blades, considering the more or less pristine condition of the airframe…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Yes, it was overdone!

51 minutes ago, noelh said:

Very nice Mozzie, great backstory too. I very much like the Tamiya Mossie. 

I like the way you very neatly painted Dark Green camouflage over the grey. 

Agree with Joachim about the propellors. Just a subtle neat line on the leading edges would suffice. The front face of propellors are rarely badly worn. 

Thanks for the good points but I agree the props are overdone, must remember to tone them down the next time there is matt black in the airbrush.

Really nice,...... always nice to see a 23 Sqn Mossie from Malta, and so well built too.

I have a photo of this aircraft and like most other 23 Sqn Mossies I`m pretty sure it has black undersides for its intruder role,..... albeit just the extreme undersides and not encroaching upon the sides. I can send you a copy (for your eyes only) if you like.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Really nice,...... always nice to see a 23 Sqn Mossie from Malta, and so well built too.

I have a photo of this aircraft and like most other 23 Sqn Mossies I`m pretty sure it has black undersides for its intruder role,..... albeit just the extreme undersides and not encroaching upon the sides. I can send you a copy (for your eyes only) if you like.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'd be interested to see your photo.  I couldn't find a definitive one on the net but have one of YP-V in my book on 23 Squadron but couldn't decide if the black was shadow or not.

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Thanks Tony, I'd be interested to see your photo.  I couldn't find a definitive one on the net but have one of YP-V in my book on 23 Squadron but couldn't decide if the black was shadow or not.

Mike

No worries Mike,.... message sent,..... this website is very interesting too with some photos that may be new to you;

https://no23squadron.wordpress.com/

3 hours ago, noelh said:

I think this is an example of what Tony is saying. See how low the black is on the fuselage. 

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/mosquito/crashed-no-23-squadron-mosquito-fb-vi/

Thanks Noel, I've seen that photo and like some others wasn't sure if the black was shadow.

Mike

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Thanks Noel, I've seen that photo and like some others wasn't sure if the black was shadow.

Mike

Don't mind me, Tony is the Malta guy

• Haha 1

Super recovery from a potential disaster. I have the XtraDecal History of 23 Squadron decal set, 1/48, that includes this Mossy. I hope to start on a couple of Phantoms and an ADV Tornado in 23 markings. Your Mosquito inspires me to buy the kit while it’s available. I didn’t really look at the decal instructions that closely for the Mosquito so didn’t realize that the upper gray is the lighter version that’s usually the underside color. And the black underside is in the decal instructions. 

Thanks for posting your completed model. It is an inspiration for me. 

Thanks also for calling out the 23 Squadron history book. It’s not available on Amazon here in the USA currently, but I’ll keep looking for it. Does it cover only WW2 or does it go beyond?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark V said:

Super recovery from a potential disaster. I have the XtraDecal History of 23 Squadron decal set, 1/48, that includes this Mossy. I hope to start on a couple of Phantoms and an ADV Tornado in 23 markings. Your Mosquito inspires me to buy the kit while it’s available. I didn’t really look at the decal instructions that closely for the Mosquito so didn’t realize that the upper gray is the lighter version that’s usually the underside color. And the black underside is in the decal instructions. 

Thanks for posting your completed model. It is an inspiration for me. 

Thanks also for calling out the 23 Squadron history book. It’s not available on Amazon here in the USA currently, but I’ll keep looking for it. Does it cover only WW2 or does it go beyond?  

Hi Mark

Thanks for a few kind words re the Mozzy.

Like you I'm trying to build each of the aircraft on the Xtradecal 23 Sqn sheet.  To date the Mosquito and Tornado (Tornado Warning GB) have been finished and I have two FGR2s at the painting stage - both will be ADV grey, one as seen (clean) at Abingdon Air Show in Sept 1981 and the other a fully armed Falklands QRA version.  The "Frightning" is still in its box and I also have a 23 Sqn Javelin to finish.  Unfortunately the Airfix Blenheim kits are very rare at the moment.

The book is "The Red Eagles, A History of 23 Squadron RAF 1914 - 1994" by Peter Rudd, it can be a bit dense in parts but lots of useful background info - well worth looking for on Amazon or Ebay.

Regards

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the book info. I will keep it on my search list. 

I went ahead and placed the order for the Tamiya Mosquito. I figured that I had better buy it now rather than wait and it not be available later. I’m sure it will sit on the shelf with the other kits waiting its turn to be built. I have unbuilt kits, all 1/48th, of the Lightning, 2 Phantoms (1 will be green/gray and 1 in the grays), and the Tornado. 

I do not have the other set of decals for the 23 Squadron history. I think that one had the Blenheim and some earlier biplane fighters?  

I plan to start the Phantoms soon, like in a month or so. Need to finish a couple other projects first. 

9 hours ago, Mark V said:

I do not have the other set of decals for the 23 Squadron history. I think that one had the Blenheim and some earlier biplane fighters?  

Mark,

The Airfix A09186 Blenheim Mk 1F kit has 23 Sqn as one of the two included livery options. The Javelin is on Xtradecal sheet X48126.

Mike