US Space Force SE.5a! (USAAC 25th Aero Squadron - September 1918)

The USAAC 25th squadron existed in the final days of World War One.    Many of its senior staff were Americans who had flown with the British, and had experience in SE.5as.     Although the Unit did not score any victories, 30 victories had been scored by its personnel in their days flying with the RFC.     Interestingly,  the current USAF unit originating from this Unit is the 25th Space Range Squadron, based at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado and assigned to the Nevada Test & Training Range.

On March 31, 2020, it was announced that the 25th would be moved to the newly formed United States Space Force. This transfer will make the 25th the oldest unit in the USSF.

This kit is the ancient Revell/ESCI kit.   I used some decals from kit, as well as from an old Decal Master decal sheet.    The Aircraft Number on the wing is actually taken from Luftwaffe Numbers, I believe - but were similar enough in size that I used them.     The result is a very colorful SE.5A that I think reproduced the functional lines of the SE.5A.    Figures are from the excellent Orion WW1 Aviator set - and I find that they really convey more realism to any display.    Lastly, a member of the 25th, Warren J Brown, wrote a book "Child Yank Over the Rainbow" which I may have to seek out and read.....

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 11