FROG Me-110G Nachtjager...

I'm sure most of us have seen this one before...

Screen_Shot_2021-03-09_at_8.34.11_PM.png

Wherever possible, I used the kit part and tweaked it. I added a resin cockpit and substituted the kits radar antenna with aftermarket.

1102.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bou

1103.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bou

1105.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bou

1106.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bou

110m.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bou

110k.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bou

110h.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bou

thumbnail_(69).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

110g.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bou

These antennas were great and will use them again when the opportunity arises.

thumbnail_(68).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

I moved the kits drop tanks inboard to the correct position, lettered and dented. I vac formed the kit canopy and opened it up. Canopy frames done with decal strips.

The ubiquitous bottom shot.

thumbnail_(66).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

I am converting, (kicking and screaming,) to acrylics. In this case I'm using MMP paints and they performed very well with no problems. I wish I had done the camouflaged blotches better, my airbrush failing not the paints.
Clear gloss, decals then dull coat and panel lines drawn on with a fine ink pen.

thumbnail_(41).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

thumbnail_(37).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

thumbnail_(65).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

thumbnail_(63).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

thumbnail_(60).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

thumbnail_(59).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

thumbnail_(55).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

thumbnail_(54).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

thumbnail_(53).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

thumbnail_(70).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

Are there better 110's out there?, yes, but this was great fun reworking olde plastic.

thumbnail_(44).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

• Like 63
  • Thanks 2

Simply excellent! I can't praise the work of a classic kit modeller (improver) highly enough. It's much more fun than assembling, as you say.

Hi Allan,

simply outstanding! Congrats!!!

I built this kit in my early teens...I chose the G-2 version, which involved cutting the exhaust flame dampeners off.

That was the least of the butchering I did on the poor kit... 

To say I am impressed with your modelling is an understatement.

JR

6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Probably the best build of this kit I've seen.

Though, shouldn't the Antennae be slanted to the right?

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I really enjoy the results of this olde FROGY.

Pete, yes, you're right, the antenna should be tilted for absolute accuracy of this a/c but it was hard enough to get all four straight up and down, the thought of getting them all the same angle was too much.

I am claiming "artist liberty" with the splotches and antenna.

I also noticed in the photo of G9+HT, 160128 below, it seems to have the left undercarriage collapsed. I fixed it....

Screen_Shot_2021-04-14_at_5.56.26_PM.png

thumbnail_(70).jpeg?width=1920&height=10

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 6

Superlative in every way!

Producing that result from an old Frog kit is a measure of true talent!

:clap2::clap2:

An interesting type too - the radar arrays and the shrouded/redirected exhausts really catch the eye.

7 hours ago, Allan31 said:

it was hard enough to get all four straight up and down, the thought of getting them all the same angle was too much.

I built a few of these years ago straight up & down before I even noticed the slant, so I have NO excuse!

Not sure if it can be seen at this scale but one thing I did notice on the real thing, The exhaust shroud intakes

have the three pointed Mercedes star just inside! Germans, eh? tsk!

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I built a few of these years ago straight up & down before I even noticed the slant, so I have NO excuse!

Not sure if it can be seen at this scale but one thing I did notice on the real thing, The exhaust shroud intakes

have the three pointed Mercedes star just inside! Germans, eh? tsk!

If you look at the first photo of the finished kit, closeup of props, radar and canopy, you can see the little three pointed star on the exhaust. I found them on an Eduard sheet and could not resist adding them on.

• Like 1

Wow! wonderful job, and WAY more work than I could cope with. I think your 'splotches' are great, something I have to improve with practice.

I use Vallejo ModelAir most of the time but I have tried MRP and they spray beautifully out of the bottle but the best thing is there is no initial splatter I find I have to clear first, pointing the airbrush away from the model before firing at the spot. The only downside they are not water based so not as user friendly.

Davey.

First off- yes, the LH external tank is black- the underside of the RH wing also should be, as this was frequently done as a recognition device for friendly AA gunners; the subject of your build might have had a black external tank from a 110 that was in that scheme fitted. Secondly, all of the 110's in that famous photo had one tire flattened to prevent them from being flown after surrender. Without a doubt, the very best Frog Bf-110G build out there! I started one many, many years ago and got as far as the new oil coolers and extended spinners, like you did, but gave up while trying to correct the lack of 'hump' on the upper cowlings, as I couldn't seem to be able to get them symmetrical, nor could I figure out how to do the three engine instruments located on the inner side of each cowling. That being said, if you took a b&w photo of your model with the photo of the actual airplane in the background, it would be hard to tell it from the real thing! Paintwork is excellent- way to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!) :worthy:

Mike