1/72 B-25J Camera Ship - DONE

Dermo245

Hi all, hope you're keeping safe and well.

I'm in with this rivetted oldie pulled from the attic (those kits in the background are on the way to market - long story)

51115215549_88f633ae66_b.jpgAirfix B-25J by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

This plane will be shooting....film of course! When I saw the decals were available for the Psychedelic Monster, I jumped at the chance to build it.

51115374053_54d73e8783_b.jpgB-25J_Draw_Decals by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The plan is to build it in-flight, more on that later.

Thanks for looking and good luck with your builds.

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Completed!
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Dermot, you are a brave man to use the Airfix kit. Might I suggest the fastest way to take the dots off is with a hand held Stanley knife blade - ie not in the holder. It is reasonably quick, I use this method on all old Airfix. The surface then cleans up nicely with wet and dry. Hope I’m of help 😊

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks all and finally some progress on this one.

Out with the sanding paper and pop on a podcast..

51225818104_0719e7d45e_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51226119720_71c56e807b_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Happy enough with that.

I'm building this one in-flight so close the gear doors.........just a small gap!

51225050506_0697542b9d_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Sprue goo for starters, will come back with filler when that dries.

51225261968_10442f1e8c_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And starting on the internals.

51224341647_61085e900b_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, enjoy your weekend.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Well done Dermot

What are your plans for the nose transparecy ?
regards Toby

Hi Toby,

Yes, been putting that one off!

My plan is to use the clear bomber nose and fill the windows apart from two observation ones that were on the top side.

I’ll try to vac or plunge the bubble bit on the front 😳

• Like 1

Hey Dermot,

when i I was a kid we used to drive past Shoreham airfield quite a lot.  The Psychedelic Monster was parked there for a long time after filming and easily visible from the road.  If only I had thought to take pictures.. 

• Like 2

Damn you know I always wonder what they got incorrect when the doors don't fit; are the doors the wrong shape or the wheels wells the wrong shape....maybe both!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Damn you know I always wonder what they got incorrect when the doors don't fit; are the doors the wrong shape or the wheels wells the wrong shape....maybe both!

I think they’re way too small...the nacelle looks the right shape 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brad said:

I wonder that whenever anything doesn't fit! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is a great subject! :thumbsup:   A B-25 from Tallmantz Aviation was used for the "Final Countdown" flight sequences.

And, dang, those are serious gaps around those gear doors! 😱

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Hey Dermot,

when i I was a kid we used to drive past Shoreham airfield quite a lot.  The Psychedelic Monster was parked there for a long time after filming and easily visible from the road.  If only I had thought to take pictures.. 

The B-25 at Shoreham was NOT the psychedelic monster! This is a different Mitchell, Not too sure about its history but it was impounded there. It is now at Duxford hanging in the American Air museum there. The  BoB film psychedelic monster is still airworthy and currently in Australia as a war bird. I can post pics of N7614C at Shoreham once I find them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

The B-25 at Shoreham was NOT the psychedelic monster! This is a different Mitchell, Not too sure about its history but it was impounded there. It is now at Duxford hanging in the American Air museum there. The  BoB film psychedelic monster is still airworthy and currently in Australia as a war bird. I can post pics of N7614C at Shoreham once I find them.

Cheers Paul,  

Must have been a popular urban myth at the time.  I do remember it was parked outside for some time..

• Like 1

here you go. Two slightly different images of B-25 N7614C at Shoreham some tie during the 1970s. Definitely not the one used in the making of Battle of Britain but another camera ship. Flew in to Shoreham , never paid fees so was impounded, crew disappeared so I believe. Eventually ended up at Duxford as  I mentioned above.

Gy0DY2.jpg

q5utyS.jpg

Talking of Mitchells, I wonder what happened to the one that languished at Biggin Hill around 1968? I know it was used in 633 Squadron for a paradrop sequnce and then ended up at Southend Museum. But what next?   Then there are the five that were at Blackbushe after  Hannover Street movie.   I know one was at Hendon, another took part at a few air shows but what happened to the others?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Paul J said:

I know one was at Hendon, another took part at a few air shows but what happened to the others?

There was a short documentary called 'Mitchells do fly IMC'. This was the story of 5 Mitchells flying across the pond to participate in the movie. After filming most went back to the USA. I believe one sat at North Waeld before having its wings cut off. There's a picture in one of Ken Ellis's books if I can find it.....

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Colin W said:

There was a short documentary called 'Mitchells do fly IMC'. This was the story of 5 Mitchells flying across the pond to participate in the movie. After filming most went back to the USA. I believe one sat at North Waeld before having its wings cut off. There's a picture in one of Ken Ellis's books if I can find it.....

Cheers.  By the way, I logged 7614C in 1974 at Shoreham.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, hope you enjoying the weekend. A bit more done on the B-25..

U/C doors looking a lot better now.

51260686884_dbd799de90_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And started painting the interior and engines.

51260687489_24f3e9ecf8_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And buttoned up..

51260141158_454ca1f7ce_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

For the nose, I was thinking I might convert the solid gun nose by removing the top of it;; seems to have a better profile than the clear nose. I think it might be also less of a faff than trying to convert the clear nose (famous last words)

51260141033_df34e69500_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, enjoy your modelling.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 12

I'm intrigued to see how you go about the rear mounted camera station. Looked a bit drafty on the real one. Will you be moulding your own directors dome for the top of the fuselage/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

I'm intrigued to see how you go about the rear mounted camera station. Looked a bit drafty on the real one. Will you be moulding your own directors dome for the top of the fuselage/

Cheers Paul.

Yes, apparently the rear station was more than a bit drafty! There's a great article here about it.

For the larger dome, I'm hoping to be able to plunge-mould that. Or find something in plastic packaging that I could repurpose..🤔

For the smaller dome to the rear, I think I might have something suitable in the spares...

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 1

On with starting the tail mod..

As assembled, without the clear part and end cap..

51266980774_607ec814d5_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_11 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

This article online has some great close-ups of the camera positions so very helpful.

Cut off the end piece

51266431738_51c9df90c6_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And then cut down the sides.

51266980849_b251b9fe00_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_13 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The photos show a tail extension (unpainted) so will build that from plastic card. I'll also modify the tail clear part as it looks like part of that was used in the set-up.

As always, thanks for following this one!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 11

Some more work this weekend!

In the end, I've decided to try and mod the solid machine gun nose...

51273653850_c1123636ae_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_14 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51272800803_3de2839e33_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_15 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And in place on the airframe. The fuselage appears a shade too narrow for the nose so a bit of sanding needed. I also sanded down the armoured plates under the cockpit. And while I know the upper turret wasn't fitted, I've decided to fit the kit parts anyway; it was wrecking my head trying to plug the hole..

51273353624_20f8f9b1d2_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_17 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

On to paint! I've never pre-shaded a kit before so thought I would give it a try on this. After primer, everything got sprayed with Flat White followed by Flat Black. The wings turned out better than the fuselage but I learned a lot which was the point of the whole exercise. Will know better for the next time! I'm not sure how much of this will be visible on the final paint job but will see.

51273653325_3e97270cba_b.jpgAirfix_B-25J_wip_18 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The wing fit is quite good so will mask and paint the wings separately from the mains fuselage.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 9