Going Loco Again - Kitmaster 2-6-0 BR Mogul

nimrod54

In the build up for this GB I had threatened to have a go at something railway themed so this 2-6-0 Mogul is my subject choice. As with my previous offerings, I will add a few refinements, but other than that it will be built as it comes in the bag and hopefully I will end up with a passable static model.

51115369583_63902603ca_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51114896227_6f446a0726_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 12

Built one of them a good few years ago and with a bit of detailing work such as wire handrails and proper markings it looks quite good - makes up for the Mainline OO Standard 4 version I saw, went away and thought about, and then found it had been sold!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Good luck dude. Funnily enough I was looking at my Battle of Britain class loco for this. 

I like your train :tumble: of thought buddy, be good to have more of us going loco.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I have finally made a start on this build, cleaning up and assembling the chassis parts last night and today I filled, then sanded the few sink marks on both sides of the frame.

51241102495_e0cf8f9a59_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I've covered the sink marks that the wheels had on the axle ends with some plastic discs that I punched out from thin sheet, and the connecting rods have also been neatened up. The next job is to paint those parts up before continuing with the next phase of assembly.

51240050016_d277e15a87_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

As a quick follow up from the previous update, after the parts had been cleaned up and a primer coat added, I sprayed the chassis and mainwheels using Citadel's Abbadon Black from a rattle can, whilst the connecting rods were brush painted with a steel colour. Once everything was dry I assembled those parts and they have been moved around my workspace in that state since, I have to clean up a few more parts and paint those up along with a few other details before I can continue with the next stage of assembly on the frame.

51309839699_f660cd4646_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

So in order to try and get this kickstarted again, today I have made a start on tidying up the tender parts and identifying the bits that I want to remove before replacing them with something finer. One of the things I like to do is remove and replace the plastic coal load, so I set about cutting that away with a ball-cutter, then tidied up the sides with a scalpel, file and finally sanding sticks - as can be seen a small amount of filler was needed where I was overzealous with the cutter but there wasn't too much damage done, and I still have all of my fingers which is always a bonus. :lol:

After I had done that, I needed something to sit the replacement coal on, so a base was made up using some black sheet plastic and glued into place.

51309109491_723ee488a5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51309310283_bfea87c885_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed the underframe and running gear and I have also assembled the tender.

51332717955_be683b3534_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51332447769_db07a01b21_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51332447814_5284c430db_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I removed the moulded handrails from the tender in readiness for replacements, then I made a start on removing the handrails from the boiler, taking extra care around the boiler bands and pipework that I want to keep.

51332447719_0abe21d452_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51330988202_754c540051_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 8

I made a start on detailing the tender and loco this afternoon by adding the handrails, the rear of the tender requires further work on the ladder and more handrails and a replacement parts for the coupling, heating and vac-pipes also need to be added.

51338546632_3fbcdd9c07_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51339273641_63400b4820_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51340275450_ababc392d7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The smokebox door will have replacement darts fitted and I am hoping that I can do something to improve the look of the hinge along with the steps at the front end.

Cheers

John

• Like 7

I got on with detailing the smokebox door this morning starting  by removing the the moulded on door darts, handrail and hinge then replacing those with Markits parts and rod. Here is how it looked with everything glued in place.

51341045753_377b947e69_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And one of the door glued on the front of the boiler section. The next job is to come up with some method of replacing the half-dozen moulded steps at the front end.

51341045818_e64d0fa82d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, helios16v said:

Those detail pieces really dress it up.  I'm guessing you've got something similar in mind to replace the "ladder" on the tender?

Thanks Chris, the replacement bits and some simple scratch building can make quite a difference to these kits. I have just been tinkering about with some plastic strip and handrail wire to see what I can do with the ladder, we'll see how it looks once I have got the top section figured out.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

This is great work on another loco. The upgrades are very well worth doing, they make such a difference.

I have made notes from some of your other posts and got a list of places to get upgrades, and, one day, I WILL start one, honest!

All the best, Ray

• Like 1

After a bit of experimentation with the ladder I decided to go down the route of using plastic strip for the sides and stretch sprue for the rungs, choosing to stick with handrail wire for the grab rails. I've also added a small strip of plastic to the buffer beam to represent the reinforcing for the replacement coupling which will be one of the last bits to be added after painting.

51346776604_7150e4b542_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51345308852_31612c9fe5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Just a few of the remaining kit parts to add to complete the work on the tender, then I can get back to finishing the boiler section. I think that I should get the painting wrapped up for next week but I may have bit of a wait before the lining and loco decals arrive. 

John

• Like 7

16 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I think that I should get the painting wrapped up for next week but I may have bit of a wait before the lining and loco decals arrive. 

Hi John,

If the lining is coming from HMRS then they can be a bit slow in my experience. Their BR Mixed Traffic sheet was out of stock a few years back and it took 6 months for it to come back in! The LNER lining I bought recently for my Schools kits was only 2 weeks though.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

If the lining is coming from HMRS then they can be a bit slow in my experience.

Hi Pete,

I had looked at HMRS having used them for my City of Truro build a few years back, but I remembered that it took a bit of time to get them. After some more searching I discovered that Railtec had stock of MT lining decals and early BR totem required to finish it as the preserved 76084, I can't say that they will arrive any quicker though.

Further reasons that led to 76084 being my choice are the local links, it was one of the final batch built at Horwich in 1956-57 and started working life at Lower Darwen. I have also read somewhere that she ran on the East Lancashire Railway tracks for a short while, before moving to her present home on the North Norfolk Railway.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

After fitting the steps to the tender and loco this morning, I was able to prime and paint those parts up with Halfords paints finishing with their matt black for the two top coats. I'll give that time to harden off before painting up the final details.

51351417435_f545d7ecc4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51351417330_d63eca2233_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51351417090_68317f50ba_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 7

I like the details you have added to the kit, really makes a difference.

I've got Evening Star and City of Truro in the stash to build at some point in the future, so I'll definitely try to add details like you have :) 

Ian :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I like the details you have added to the kit, really makes a difference.

I've got Evening Star and City of Truro in the stash to build at some point in the future, so I'll definitely try to add details like you have :) 

Ian :) 

Thanks a lot Ian. The decals arrived yesterday, but because we are away this weekend I think that it is going to be a challenge to get all of the lining sorted for Sunday. The details do make a difference and help in making a nice static model, though the initial outlay for things like handrail knobs and wire can seem costly. That said you will probably have enough to complete both locos and I don't think that is costlier than some resin for aircraft builds.

Here is my model of Evening Star and I added a couple of Modellu crew figures to this one...

36570656183_d72bba1ea4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

36519208914_0db1d80a79.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

...and this is my finished model of City of Truro after undergoing similar treatment.

DSC00691_zps7hpee9ds.jpg

• Like 7

They're really nice rather than OOB

I'll get round to them at some stage and will definitely use your tips to give some more detail. 

Like you say, I can or only get enough stuff for the 2 for the price of some resin bits

Have a nice weekend

Ian 😁

• Like 1