It's not working.

Perhaps if the title was changed to read "Help and Support for Tech Problems only", in red letters, it might get some more notice taken of it. Failing that, if the wrong subject is requested, maybe a klaxon going off, accompanied by flashing red lights, and a boxing glove that comes out through the screen.:boxing:

John. 

• Haha 3

Maybe this "Once you've looked at the FAQ forum, post here if you still need help. NOT for modelling related issues." isn't big enough? :shrug:

It's more likely a case of people not stopping for a moment to correctly orient themselves in the forum structure.  This seems to be on the increase in general. :dull:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Maybe this "Once you've looked at the FAQ forum, post here if you still need help. NOT for modelling related issues." isn't big enough? :shrug:

It's more likely a case of people not stopping for a moment to correctly orient themselves in the forum structure.  This seems to be on the increase in general. :dull:

I think that if you are not familiar with the site, seeing the words "Help and Support", is as far as they go, as is FAQ's. It's immediately misinterpreted as somewhere to ask a modelling question. That's why I suggested that the whole thing be in red, so that it is included in the whole sentence. That way new members would (possibly) read the whole sentence and not just Help and Support.

John.

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

possibly

...and that, my dear fellow, is the crux of the issue ;)

I think everyone just needs to take a breath, slow down and read things before diving in.  My old maths teacher used to say "more haste, less speed" whenever someone (usually me) would rush at answering something and make a mess of it 👨‍🏫

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

and a boxing glove that comes out through the screen

Hey, I sat through ALL of Series 3 of Star Trek: Discovery. After that steaming pile of dross, the prospect of a boxing-glove coming out of the screen would seem like a blessed relief...

Chris.   

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Could you add the warning on the create thread page for the help and support section so it's visible while you write the post? 

On my screen it's less than 6" away from the "strapline" text, which is now all in red.  @Greg B  (I think) even changed the name of the forum category in the hope of dissuading posts about modelling here, but it still doesn't seem to work.  You can take a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead (graphite) :shrug:

• Like 2

Speaking of graphite, I was wondering...

Is this the right place to ask for advice on the best way to use graphite for weathering my 1/48 scale Mk V Spitfire? 

Ducking and running as fast as possible now! 🏃‍♀️ 🤪

Sorry @Mike

Sometimes I just cannot restrain myself. It’s not really my fault,  I blame my personality.

• Haha 10

It would be good with an extra function in the forum software, that for this specific section would add an extra window to go through when creating a new topic, like "Are you sure you are creating your topic in the correct section bla bla bla", where you have to check a box and click once more before the topic is created. Perhaps it would at least catch some?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Perhaps it would at least catch some?

Won't work. 

ssrco,slim_fit_t_shirt,flatlay,353d77:4d

Maybe... MAYBE... 

Leaving out the word Help from the titles would (heh) help, but people gonna people.

• Haha 1

For what its worth I've worked in one form or another in online user support for 30+ years. If people need help, they will click on the first thing that says "Help" regardless of any caveats, underlining, colors etc. etc. All the see is the word "Help".

The other thing I've learned is "punters don't scroll" they will only look at the options on the screen in front of them, and if they see anything that remotely fits their needs, they'll click on it.

With that in mind, I think what I would do is remove the phrase "help and support". I also note that many of the help required is to due with image posting. So I would replace "help and support" with "Forum issues" and "Posting images" or something similar

8 hours ago, Mike said:

It's more likely a case of people not stopping for a moment to correctly orient themselves in the forum structure.

... c'mon, this is a modelling forum - ignoring instructions is SOP 😀

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Perhaps if the title was changed to read "Help and Support for Tech Problems only", in red letters, it might get some more notice taken of it. Failing that, if the wrong subject is requested, maybe a klaxon going off, accompanied by flashing red lights, and a boxing glove that comes out through the screen.:boxing:

John. 

Because if we mentioned tech support, we would get even more of the:

• My broadband is not fast, can you recommend a better ISP
  • I am having a problem installing this update
  • Which is the best Anti Virus to use

All questions that have been asked here......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Greg B said:

Because if we mentioned tech support, we would get even more of the:

Maybe the word "Help" needs to be ditched from the headline, as that is probably what draws the wrong doers in, in the first place. Perhaps something along the lines of "Problems Navigating the Forum?" followed by "Not for Modelling Issues".

John.

I've been thinking that an alert that appears when you click in the reply box along the lines of @Bengalensis suggestion "This is for site support only etc, check if you need to proceed" would weed many out along with 

14 hours ago, ckw said:

So I would replace "help and support" with "Forum issues" and "Posting images" or something similar

Relabelling the section to have less appeal to those with challenged IQs would be a good move too. Just saying <_<

Steve.