Spitfire F22/24 questions

franky boy

Hello chaps

Im just about to start a dual build of the Airfix Spitfire F mk22/24 kit in 1:48 using both of the marking options from the box. One in HSS based in the Far East in the early 50’s and the other in the standard day fighter camo from the late 40’s. The one with the big red patches and number 4’s from the air races of that time. 

My first question is cockpit colour. The instructions call for RAF interior green for both. Is this correct or should they be black by this time as with other aircraft if the day. 

And secondly I want to replace the seat and IP. There isn’t much out there for this kit in terms of AM, especially seats, so how close is the mk22/24 cockpit from the mkxiv. Could I use some of the AM intended for that Airfix kit and ‘trim’ to fit. 

Thanks

James 

Hi James

Am about to restart my build. There is a nice Aires cockpit that you can use - it may be OOP but you can still find it. There is an Eduard set as well. Have a look at the Barracuda prop and rocker covers. The Brassin 3 spoke wheels are also pretty good. Avoid the KMC/Squadron cockpit. Have a look for a cheap canopy as well - the kit one is under size.

Will

• Like 1

Based on my research for a Mk. 24 build some years ago, the cockpit color was indeed Interior Grey Green. I used a Cutting Edge resin set for the cockpit. They're now hard to find, but there is presently one for sale on Ebay (USA). The seat doesn't look much different from that of earlier versions, which gives you several options including Ultracast.

Frankly, it's not all that easy to see into the depths of the cockpit. I'd content myself with a good replacement seat and save my money for the Barracuda items mentioned by Scimitar F1; you might also want to go for their stabilizers/elevators (which allow the elevators to be posed as desired) as well as their seamless carb intake.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies @Seawinder and @Scimitar F1

Tbh I was coming round to the idea of finding a replacement resin seat and then doing as you both suggest and piling into the Baracuda resin for the exterior. 

Thanks again

James

11 hours ago, gingerbob said:

In that case, you may as well get the Barracuda seat, too.

Hmm. The only Spitfire seat I find at Barracuda is 1/32 scale. Ultracast do nice ones with or without seat belts in 1/48. Quickboost also does one (48401) that with belts that go down behind the seat. I think that would be okay for a Mk. 22/24.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

Hmm. The only Spitfire seat I find at Barracuda is 1/32 scale. Ultracast do nice ones with or without seat belts in 1/48. Quickboost also does one (48401) that with belts that go down behind the seat. I think that would be okay for a Mk. 22/24.

I found the Quickboost seat to. It’s a thing of beauty but I think it’s more appropriate to a Mk1 to Mkix?

26 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Odd, I guess the 1/48 is only in the "Snapshot Cockpit Upgrade" - sounds like a good excuse to me!

Bob. The Barracuda cockpit snapshot is aimed at the Airfix Mk xix but I guess quite a bit could be used in a 22/24. 

James

5 hours ago, franky boy said:

I found the Quickboost seat to. It’s a thing of beauty but I think it’s more appropriate to a Mk1 to Mkix?

Well, the seat belt arrangement is not what was found Mks. 1 to IX, and looking at the Cutting Edge seat in the Mk. 24 I built, I really don't see much if any difference. Others may know more?

• Like 1